Обсуждение: Primary keys and indexes

Primary keys and indexes

От
"Keith Worthington"
Дата:
Hi All,

Does building a primary key constraint automatically generate an index?  Using
pgadmin I cannot see it if it does.  Should I explicitly build indexes on
primary keys?  Wouldn't building a unique index on the same columns as the
primary key be redundent?  Your guidance is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com

Re: Primary keys and indexes

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 15:54:36 -0500,
  Keith Worthington <keithw@narrowpathinc.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does building a primary key constraint automatically generate an index?  Using
> pgadmin I cannot see it if it does.  Should I explicitly build indexes on
> primary keys?  Wouldn't building a unique index on the same columns as the
> primary key be redundent?  Your guidance is appreciated.

Yes, when you declare a primary (or unique) key a unique index over the
columns of the key is created.