Обсуждение: log file

log file

От
"Keith Worthington"
Дата:
Hi All,

I have a client application that is unable to write to the database.  I
suspect a permission problem.  Is there a log file that shows the commands
that the server is executing?  Where should I start to look for it and what
controls where it is written?  Is there a way to increase/decrease the logging
level while I am troubleshooting?  I am running PostgreSQL v8rc5 on RedHat
Enterprise Linux v3.

Kind Regards,
Keith

99main Internet Services http://www.99main.com

Re: log file

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:32:02PM -0500, Keith Worthington wrote:

> I have a client application that is unable to write to the database.  I
> suspect a permission problem.

What is the client trying to do?  How did you determine that it's
not working?  Client libraries should have a way to check an
operation's success or failure, and most should provide a way to
get an explanatory error message for a failed operation.  What
language does the client application use?

> Is there a log file that shows the commands that the server is
> executing?  Where should I start to look for it and what controls
> where it is written?  Is there a way to increase/decrease the logging
> level while I am troubleshooting?

See the "Run-time Configuration" section of the "Server Run-time
Environment" chapter in the documentation, especially the "Error
Reporting and Logging" section.

> I am running PostgreSQL v8rc5 on RedHat Enterprise Linux v3.

Some PostgreSQL RPMs redirect the server's logs to /dev/null, so
you might want to check the PostgreSQL startup script if you installed
an RPM.  I don't know if the 8.0.0 RPMs have that problem, though.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/