Обсуждение: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

postgresql or mysql or oracle?

От
Ramon Orticio
Дата:
how do you compare postgresql to mysql or oracle 10i
which has become an open source material?

thank you for your expert opinion.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

От
Randolf Richardson
Дата:
"rporticio@yahoo.com (Ramon Orticio)" wrote in pgsql.novice:

> how do you compare postgresql to mysql or oracle 10i
> which has become an open source material?

        What does Oracle mean by "open source?"  Is it 100% open source, or
only partially, or do they mean something different?  Many commercial
organizations have made claims that their products are "open source" but
have worded such claims in clever ways to hide the fact that they really
aren't, and so I remain skeptical given this general history of the
industry (I have no idea if Oracle is doing this or not).

> thank you for your expert opinion.

        Although I don't consider myself an expert in this area, one of the
things that I notice about these three products is the price:

                Oracle:  Not free for most uses
                MySQL:  Not free for commercial use
                PostgreSQL:  Free for all uses

        The main reason I moved away from Oracle is that they dropped support
for Novell's NetWare OS.  On the other hand, MySQL is officially supported
on NetWare now, and PostgreSQL is on its way there (I began learning
PostgreSQL by experimenting with beta versions of it on NetWare, and after
much testing to see how it and the other two fit my needs I became a big
fan).

        In my opinion both Oracle and PostgreSQL support transactions
properly, but MySQL doesn't because it allows for the mixture of both
transactional and non-transactional tables.  I don't know if this issue has
ever been resolved, but it was still a problem as far as I knew three
months ago.

        Oracle and PostgreSQL are in a different league than MySQL.  For
projects that I know are going to remain small pretty much forever, and
don't require data reliability, I would select MySQL, but for the larger
projects (even if they start out small) I would use PostgreSQL (or Oracle
if the customer required it).

        Oracle has table spaces, but MySQL does not.  PostgreSQL 8 supports
table spaces (I haven't verified this yet, but I have no reason to doubt
it), and this is important for optimization nuts and organization freaks
like myself.

        [If I'm mistaken about any of this, corrections are welcome.]

Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 07:55:23 +0000,
  Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> wrote:

>                 MySQL:  Not free for commercial use
>
>         [If I'm mistaken about any of this, corrections are welcome.]

MsSQL is GPL code and hence is free for commercial use if you abide
by the restrictions of the GPL. If you want to not have to abide by
these restrictions then you have to make a deal with MySQL to get the
code under an alternate license.

Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

Дата:
>   Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> wrote:
>> MySQL:  Not free for commercial use
>> [If I'm mistaken about any of this, corrections are welcome.]

> MySQL is GPL code and hence is free for commercial use if you abide
> by the restrictions of the GPL. If you want to not have to abide by
> these restrictions then you have to make a deal with MySQL to get the
> code under an alternate license.

I seem to recall some flaps about MySQL AB using an overly tight
interpretation of the GPL and therefore telling people they needed
commercial licenses in cases where independent observers thought not.
Too lazy to look up the details at the moment, though.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> writes:
> >   Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> wrote:
> >> MySQL:  Not free for commercial use
> >> [If I'm mistaken about any of this, corrections are welcome.]
>
> > MySQL is GPL code and hence is free for commercial use if you abide
> > by the restrictions of the GPL. If you want to not have to abide by
> > these restrictions then you have to make a deal with MySQL to get the
> > code under an alternate license.
>
> I seem to recall some flaps about MySQL AB using an overly tight
> interpretation of the GPL and therefore telling people they needed
> commercial licenses in cases where independent observers thought not.
> Too lazy to look up the details at the moment, though.

Found it:

    http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/opensource-license.html

It is better than it used to be where it really pushed commercial
license for commercial use, but they still have:

Please note that MySQL AB can only give advice on which license is right
for you. The final judgment, of course can be made only by a court of
law. With that said, we recommend the commercial license to all
commercial and government organizations. This frees you from the broad
and strict requirements of the GPL license.

To anyone in doubt, we recommend the commercial license. It is never
wrong. Thanks to our cost-effective way of producing software, we are
able to sell our commercial licenses at prices well under the industry
average.

Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

От
Dick Davies
Дата:
* Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> [0132 18:32]:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 07:55:23 +0000,
>   Randolf Richardson <rr@8x.ca> wrote:
> >
> >                 MySQL:  Not free for commercial use
> >
> >         [If I'm mistaken about any of this, corrections are welcome.]
>
> MsSQL is GPL code and hence is free for commercial use if you abide
> by the restrictions of the GPL. If you want to not have to abide by
> these restrictions then you have to make a deal with MySQL to get the
> code under an alternate license.

Ok, but 'free with strings and hoops to jump through' is still not as
useful as 'do what you like with it'.

Lets' not start a 'my license > your license' thread.
--
'And if you think you're going to bleed all over me
you're even wronger than you normally be'

Re: postgresql or mysql or oracle?

От
Dirk Cleenwerck
Дата: