Обсуждение: three table join

three table join

От
Kumar S
Дата:
Dear Group,
I have two tables 1. Contacts and 2. Experiment.

I have another link table con_exp_link table.

Contacts
Con_id
con_fname
con_lname
con_address

Experiment
exp_id
exp_name
exp_scientist
exp_publication.

con_exp_link
con_exp_id
con_id
exp_id

In this link table I have nothing but primary keys of
experiment and contacts table.

Now my question:

How can I fill the link table. I am highly confused.

Can any one help me please.

thanks

kumar.

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

Re: three table join

От
"Vishal Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]"
Дата:
Dear Kumar

> I have two tables 1. Contacts and 2. Experiment.
> In this link table I have nothing but primary keys of
> experiment and contacts table.

Whats the relation between

Contacts and Experiment table.
If they relate to each other the link table can be filled (By filled I
understand insert)

But then if these both table are linked by some relation you wont
require to insert the data in the link table.
Just a join query would do that.

Does anyone has better idea then plz to enlighten us.

--
With Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap.

Re: three table join

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Nov 2, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Vishal Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control
Systems] wrote:

> Dear Kumar
>

>> I have two tables 1. Contacts and 2. Experiment.
>> In this link table I have nothing but primary keys of
>> experiment and contacts table.
>

> Whats the relation between
>
> Contacts and Experiment table.
> If they relate to each other the link table can be filled (By filled I
> understand insert)
>
> But then if these both table are linked by some relation you wont
> require to insert the data in the link table.
> Just a join query would do that.
>
> Does anyone has better idea then plz to enlighten us.

Kumar,

I had the same confusion when starting to use SQL (of any kind, not
just postgres).  The links must be calculated and inserted by you.
There is no automatic way for postgres to determine what these links
should be.  That said, if you have two tables with primary ids, one
just needs to insert all of the pairs of unique ids into the link
table.  If your two primary tables were built first, you may have to
look up the primary key for each table and then do the insert I
mentioned.  You could write a postgresql function to do facilitate this
process or you could do it at the application or API level using perl
DBI or something like that.  As Vishal noted, depending on whether you
have a one-to-one, a one-to-many, or a many-to-many relationship
between the two primary tables, you may not need the link table.  I
think only in the many-to-many case is it actually necessary.

Sean

Re: three table join

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 05:49 -0800, Kumar S wrote:
> Dear Group,
> I have two tables 1. Contacts and 2. Experiment.
>
> I have another link table con_exp_link table.
>
> Contacts
> Con_id
> con_fname
> con_lname
> con_address
>

> Experiment
> exp_id
> exp_name
> exp_scientist
> exp_publication.
>

> con_exp_link
> con_exp_id

I guess con_exp_id is meant to be a primary key in this table; I believe
it should be unnecessary, since the primary key can be the combination
of the other two fields:

  CREATE TABLE con_exp_link (
     con_id   some_type  REFERENCES contacts (con_id),
     exp_id   some_type  REFERENCES experiment (exp_id),
     PRIMARY KEY (con_id, exp_id)
  );

> con_id
> exp_id
>

> In this link table I have nothing but primary keys of
> experiment and contacts table.
>

> Now my question:
>
> How can I fill the link table. I am highly confused.

INSERT INTO con_exp_link SELECT c.con_id, e.exp_id FROM contacts AS c,
experiment AS e;

That implicit join will create the Cartesian product of contact and
experiment and put every possible combination into con_exp_link.  If
that is too broad, you will have to constrain the join in some way so as
to produce only the legal combinations.

Alternatively, construct a 2 column flat file of legal combinations,
with the columns separated by tab, and use COPY to load con_exp_link
from it.

     "Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer;
      behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison,
      that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation
      ten days; be thou faithful unto death, and I will give
      thee a crown of life."           Revelation 2:10

Re: three table join

От
Kumar S
Дата:
Hello Oliver,
 Thank you for your mail with suggestions. I decided
to keep the con_exp_id as primary key because of the
fact that a contact can do as many experiments as he
can and one experiment can be done many contacts.
Thus these two tables share a Many to Many
relationship.

Thus for other tables con_exp_id will be made as
Foreign key .

For example:

Table: Chip_table
chip_id (PK)
con_exp_id (FK)

Here it is easy for me to anchor con_exp_id as FK from
con_exp_link table.

Any other better alternative?

Thanks

Kumar

--- Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 05:49 -0800, Kumar S wrote:
> > Dear Group,
> > I have two tables 1. Contacts and 2. Experiment.
> >
> > I have another link table con_exp_link table.
> >
> > Contacts
> > Con_id
> > con_fname
> > con_lname
> > con_address
> >

> > Experiment
> > exp_id
> > exp_name
> > exp_scientist
> > exp_publication.
> >

> > con_exp_link
> > con_exp_id
>
> I guess con_exp_id is meant to be a primary key in
> this table; I believe
> it should be unnecessary, since the primary key can
> be the combination
> of the other two fields:
>
>   CREATE TABLE con_exp_link (
>      con_id   some_type  REFERENCES contacts
> (con_id),
>      exp_id   some_type  REFERENCES experiment
> (exp_id),
>      PRIMARY KEY (con_id, exp_id)
>   );
>
> > con_id
> > exp_id
> >

> > In this link table I have nothing but primary keys
> of
> > experiment and contacts table.
> >

> > Now my question:
> >
> > How can I fill the link table. I am highly
> confused.
>
> INSERT INTO con_exp_link SELECT c.con_id, e.exp_id
> FROM contacts AS c,
> experiment AS e;
>
> That implicit join will create the Cartesian product
> of contact and
> experiment and put every possible combination into
> con_exp_link.  If
> that is too broad, you will have to constrain the
> join in some way so as
> to produce only the legal combinations.
>
> Alternatively, construct a 2 column flat file of
> legal combinations,
> with the columns separated by tab, and use COPY to
> load con_exp_link
> from it.
>
> --
> Oliver Elphick
>    olly@lfix.co.uk
> Isle of Wight
> http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
> GPG: 1024D/A54310EA  92C8 39E7 280E 3631 3F0E  1EC0
> 5664 7A2F A543 10EA

>      "Fear none of those things which thou shalt
> suffer;
>       behold, the devil shall cast some of you into
> prison,
>       that ye may be tried; and ye shall have
> tribulation
>       ten days; be thou faithful unto death, and I
> will give
>       thee a crown of life."           Revelation
> 2:10

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

Re: three table join

От
Sean Davis
Дата:
On Nov 2, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Kumar S wrote:

> Hello Oliver,
>  Thank you for your mail with suggestions. I decided
> to keep the con_exp_id as primary key because of the
> fact that a contact can do as many experiments as he
> can and one experiment can be done many contacts.
> Thus these two tables share a Many to Many
> relationship.
>

> Thus for other tables con_exp_id will be made as
> Foreign key .
>
> For example:
>
> Table: Chip_table
> chip_id (PK)
> con_exp_id (FK)
>
> Here it is easy for me to anchor con_exp_id as FK from
> con_exp_link table.
>
> Any other better alternative?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kumar

Kuman,

This implies that you will have a row in the chip table for every
con_exp row, so you wouldn't need the con_exp table at all?  Probably
what you mean is that for every con_exp row, there are foreign keys
referencing the primary keys in your chip and contacts tables?  That
gives you the many-to-many relationship and guarantees that you have an
entry in both the contacts and chip tables for every row in the con_exp
table.

Sean