Обсуждение: Storing Perl objects

Storing Perl objects

I understand that PostgreSQL has OO capabilities.  Is it possible to
store full-blown Perl objects in a PostgreSQL table?  (I suppose that
one can always serialize Perl objects and store the serialized text,
but this is hardly OO.)

Thanks,

kynn

Re: Storing Perl objects

От
joseph speigle
Дата:
Hi,

maybe SPOPS will work, which is an acronym for Simple Perl Object Persistence with Security
which wraps calls like 'fetch' and 'store', and the real code lies in your subclassing SPOPS implementing DBI specific
methodsfor the Postgres DBI (i'd imagine).  There are a few other modules on CPAN which you would probably also inherit
fromand override methods to get them to work.

Unfortunately, I don't know what OO capabilities PostgreSQL has on its own.  I suppose that's what you're asking,
though.

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:07:30PM -0500, kynn@panix.com wrote:

> I understand that PostgreSQL has OO capabilities.  Is it possible to
> store full-blown Perl objects in a PostgreSQL table?  (I suppose that
> one can always serialize Perl objects and store the serialized text,
> but this is hardly OO.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> kynn

joe speigle

Re: Storing Perl objects

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Kynn,

> I understand that PostgreSQL has OO capabilities.

Nope!   Bzzzzzzzz.  Thank you for playing.   ;-)

We are Object-Relational, not Object Oriented.   Object-Relational has to do
with our custom data types, operators, aggregates, and table inheritance.  It
is not OO, or even really analogous.

>  Is it possible to
> store full-blown Perl objects in a PostgreSQL table?  (I suppose that
> one can always serialize Perl objects and store the serialized text,
> but this is hardly OO.)

I suggest using Alzabo.   Look it up on Freshmeat.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Storing Perl objects

От
joseph speigle
Дата:
SPOPS, too
On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:36:45PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Kynn,
>
> > I understand that PostgreSQL has OO capabilities.
>
> Nope!   Bzzzzzzzz.  Thank you for playing.   ;-)
>
> We are Object-Relational, not Object Oriented.   Object-Relational has to do
> with our custom data types, operators, aggregates, and table inheritance.  It
> is not OO, or even really analogous.
>
> >  Is it possible to
> > store full-blown Perl objects in a PostgreSQL table?  (I suppose that
> > one can always serialize Perl objects and store the serialized text,
> > but this is hardly OO.)
>
> I suggest using Alzabo.   Look it up on Freshmeat.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco