Обсуждение: Createdb Problems

Createdb Problems

От
"Louise Cofield"
Дата:
Hi all,

The initdb seemed to go fine, the postmaster is running in the background, but createdb testdb results in this:

FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
psql: FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
createdb:  database creation failed

whoami shows that I am clearly "postgres"

Does anybody have an idea of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Louise

Re: Createdb Problems

Дата:
"Louise Cofield" <lcofield@box-works.com> writes:
> The initdb seemed to go fine, the postmaster is running in the
> background, but createdb testdb results in this:

> FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
> psql: FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
> createdb:  database creation failed

> whoami shows that I am clearly "postgres"

Sounds like you weren't postgres when you ran initdb.  The only
initially existing PG user will have the name of the Unix user
who ran initdb.  Check the ownership of the files under $PGDATA if
you aren't sure what you did.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Createdb Problems

От
"Louise Cofield"
Дата:
We changed the ownership of all the postgres files and directories to
postgres.  Any further ideas?

Thanks.

Louise

> The initdb seemed to go fine, the postmaster is running in the
> background, but createdb testdb results in this:

> FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
> psql: FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
> createdb:  database creation failed

> whoami shows that I am clearly "postgres"

Sounds like you weren't postgres when you ran initdb.  The only
initially existing PG user will have the name of the Unix user who ran
initdb.  Check the ownership of the files under $PGDATA if you aren't
sure what you did.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Createdb Problems

От
"Louise Cofield"
Дата:
Now, after shutting the postmaster down, and attempting to restart the
postmaster, this is the error:

"The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is
not compatible with this version 7.1.3."

Louise

> The initdb seemed to go fine, the postmaster is running in the
> background, but createdb testdb results in this:

> FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
> psql: FATAL:  user "postgres" does not exist
> createdb:  database creation failed

> whoami shows that I am clearly "postgres"

Sounds like you weren't postgres when you ran initdb.  The only
initially existing PG user will have the name of the Unix user who ran
initdb.  Check the ownership of the files under $PGDATA if you aren't
sure what you did.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Createdb Problems

Дата:
"Louise Cofield" <lcofield@box-works.com> writes:
> We changed the ownership of all the postgres files and directories to
> postgres.  Any further ideas?

That's not going to help, because whatever user name was entered in
pg_shadow is still going to be in pg_shadow.  If you are regretting
your initial choice of who to run initdb as, your best bet is to shut
down the postmaster, rm -rf the PGDATA directory, re-run initdb as the
right person, and restart the postmaster.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Createdb Problems

Дата:
"Louise Cofield" <lcofield@box-works.com> writes:
> Now, after shutting the postmaster down, and attempting to restart the
> postmaster, this is the error:

> "The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is
> not compatible with this version 7.1.3."

Sounds like you also have PATH problems: you've got an old version of
the postmaster in your PATH (possibly left over from your OS install).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Createdb Problems

От
"Louise Cofield"
Дата:
Tom,

There were some pathing issues that we modified, and deleting the pgdata
directory and running initdb anew, making sure the user was "postgres",
solved the problems.  We are up and running.  Thanks!

Louise