Обсуждение: Name limitation question

Name limitation question

От
"Laura Nichols"
Дата:
Hi all -

I have a quick question.  Is there a limit to the length of a table name / column name / procedure name?  For example, Sybase has a limit of 32 characters for stored procedure names, or some such.  Is there such a limit in PostgreSQL?

Thank you.

Laura
Total Novice!!

Re: Name limitation question

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Laura,

> I have a quick question.  Is there a limit to the length of a table name /
> column name / procedure name?  For example, Sybase has a limit of 32
> characters for stored procedure names, or some such.  Is there such a limit
> in PostgreSQL?

We had a limit of first 31, then 63 characters.   Either in 7.3 or in 7.4
(beta) that was extended to 128 characters, which should be enough for
anybody.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what versions of Postgres each of these
limits is associated with, but I'm sure that someone else on this list will
speak up.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Name limitation question

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> We had a limit of first 31, then 63 characters.   Either in 7.3 or in 7.4
> (beta) that was extended to 128 characters, which should be enough for
> anybody.

No, the default is still 63, and will probably stay there.  You can
however alter NAMEDATALEN when building the software, if you are hot
to have a different limit.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Name limitation question

От
Kaarel
Дата:
>>We had a limit of first 31, then 63 characters.   Either in 7.3 or in 7.4
>>(beta) that was extended to 128 characters, which should be enough for
>>anybody.
>

> No, the default is still 63, and will probably stay there.  You can
> however alter NAMEDATALEN when building the software, if you are hot
> to have a different limit.

Isn't the SQL standard 128 chars?

Re: Name limitation question

Дата:
Kaarel <kaarel@future.ee> writes:
>> No, the default is still 63, and will probably stay there.

> Isn't the SQL standard 128 chars?

Yes.  We tested that a few months ago when we raised the limit from 31
to 63, and determined that there was a nontrivial additional speed and
space penalty to raising it to 128.  Since nobody could muster a
real-world use case that actually required 128, we didn't go there.
But if you feel you need to check off that particular SQL-compliance
box, see NAMEDATALEN in postgres_ext.h.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Name limitation question

От
greg@turnstep.com
Дата:

Re: Name limitation question

Added to TODO:

    * Allow the identifier length to be increased via a configure
      option

greg@turnstep.com wrote:
[ There is text before PGP section. ]

[ PGP not available, raw data follows ]

[ Decrypting message... End of raw data. ]