Обсуждение: From 7.2.2 to 7.3-2 on RH 8.0

From 7.2.2 to 7.3-2 on RH 8.0

От
"Iames Pizzoli"
Дата:
Hi all,

    sorry for the repost, but since in newsgroup I had no answer,
I'll try here.

    I am an absolute novice on PostgreSQL and rather newbie in
Linux, too, and need some help.

    I've just started playing with it. I created a database
(but not yet any table) with version 7.2.2 from RH 8.0. Later, I noticed
a newer version on PG site, so I removed the old RPM packages and
installed the new ones. But when I try to start it, a warning
appears:

"An old version of the database format was found. You need to upgrade
the data format before using PostgreSQL. See
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.3/README.rpm-dist for more information."

    I cannot see any useful info there. I have no important data to
be worried about in the PC (the db I created was a test, no table). If
there is an easy way to get rid of it I'd do it immediately. Any hint?

TIA

Iames

Re: From 7.2.2 to 7.3-2 on RH 8.0

Дата:
"Iames Pizzoli" <iames@esperiasw.it> writes:
> "An old version of the database format was found. You need to upgrade
> the data format before using PostgreSQL. See
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.3/README.rpm-dist for more information."

>     I cannot see any useful info there. I have no important data to
> be worried about in the PC (the db I created was a test, no table). If
> there is an easy way to get rid of it I'd do it immediately. Any hint?

If you don't need the old database, then just "rm -rf" the PGDATA
directory and re-run initdb.

The RPM distribution may have some script it wants you to run instead of
just running initdb directly; I'm not sure.  Have you read the README
that the error message directs you to?

            regards, tom lane