Обсуждение: maximum size of psql query file

maximum size of psql query file

От
"Jules Alberts"
Дата:
Hello world,

I'm building a program that will convert out current database (foxpro
tables with encrypted content) to postgresql. The program will read
each .DBF file and create SQL statements in a textfile that I can feed
into postgresql with 'dos2unix; pgsql -f statements.sql'.

The database is something like 500Mb on disk and testruns have showed
that the files containing the SQL statements will be larger than that.
I can choose to create a lot of relatively small .SQL files, or create
one huge one. Any recommendations? Will 'pgsql -f' choke on a > 500Mb
textfile?

TIA for any pointers / help.

--
Jules Alberts.

Re: maximum size of psql query file

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Jules,

> I'm building a program that will convert out current database (foxpro
> tables with encrypted content) to postgresql. The program will read
> each .DBF file and create SQL statements in a textfile that I can feed
> into postgresql with 'dos2unix; pgsql -f statements.sql'.

Have you considered using COPY instead?   You can have your Foxpro script dump
to tab-delimited text files, and a 500mb COPY load is less crash-prone than
500mb of SQL commands.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Trigger question

От
denis@coralindia.com
Дата:
Hi all,

I have written a trigger in which i am updating few rows of another table
(AFTER insert in MAIN table).

Now, i want to know how many rows of another table are updated ???

Is there any variable available like we have SQL%COUNT in Oracle  ??? Does
Postgres creates any INTERNAL CURSOR like Oracle ??

Any help will be appreciated...

Thanx

Denis

Re: Trigger question

От
Josh Jore
Дата:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 denis@coralindia.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have written a trigger in which i am updating few rows of another table
> (AFTER insert in MAIN table).

So you read the nicely written docs?

> Is there any variable available like we have SQL%COUNT in Oracle  ??? Does
> Postgres creates any INTERNAL CURSOR like Oracle ??

Sure, this is *right* in the spot in the manual about coding triggers
(which you already read once). It's something like

GET DIAGNOSTICS rc = ROW_COUNT;

or such. But verify that by reading the man page.

Joshua b. Jore ; http://www.greentechnologist.org

Re: Trigger question

От
denis@coralindia.com