Обсуждение: Seeding

Seeding

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
Is there any way to automaticly "seed" a number into a list.  For example

create table "temp"(
select distinct(full_phone)
from lists
where client_id =8)

This gives me 100,000 unique records

What i would like to do is, every 2500, insert a specific number like '5552552555'

can this be done through sql? or what would be the best approach.

TIA
Chad

Re: [SQL] Seeding

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Chad Thompson writes:

> create table "temp"(
> select distinct(full_phone)
> >from lists
> where client_id =8)
>
> This gives me 100,000 unique records
>
> What i would like to do is, every 2500, insert a specific number like '5552552555'

The first thing you're going to have to define is what you mean with
"every 2500", because records in tables are not ordered.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Seeding

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
So if there is an order by in that statement and i want to insert every 2500
records is that specific?

e.g.
create table "temp"(
select distinct(full_phone)
from lists
where client_id =8
order by full_phone)

Thanks
Chad

> > What i would like to do is, every 2500, insert a specific number like
'5552552555'

> The first thing you're going to have to define is what you mean with
> "every 2500", because records in tables are not ordered.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Seeding

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 12:31, Chad Thompson wrote:
> So if there is an order by in that statement and i want to insert every 2500
> records is that specific?

But you'll still have trouble, since the next time you say
ORDER BY FULL_PHONE, all of the records with FULL_PHONE='5552552555'
will all be grouped together.

What is the reason for wanting these '5552552555' records?
Maybe there is another way to skin this cat...

> e.g.
> create table "temp"(
> select distinct(full_phone)
> from lists
> where client_id =8
> order by full_phone)
>
> Thanks
> Chad

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |

Re: Seeding

От
"Chad Thompson"
Дата:
I feed this list into a 3rd party dialer.  My objective is to try to have my
number or the clients number called during the running of the project.  I
need the list to be generated from the database so the results of the
project will be submitted to the database.  (if i generate a text file to
feed to the dialer the results only show up in a text file.)

Thanks
Chad
> On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 12:31, Chad Thompson wrote:
> > So if there is an order by in that statement and i want to insert every
2500
> > records is that specific?
>
> But you'll still have trouble, since the next time you say
> ORDER BY FULL_PHONE, all of the records with FULL_PHONE='5552552555'
> will all be grouped together.
>
> What is the reason for wanting these '5552552555' records?
> Maybe there is another way to skin this cat...
>
> > e.g.
> > create table "temp"(
> > select distinct(full_phone)
> > from lists
> > where client_id =8
> > order by full_phone)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chad

Re: Seeding

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Chad Thompson writes:

> So if there is an order by in that statement and i want to insert every 2500
> records is that specific?
>
> e.g.
> create table "temp"(
> select distinct(full_phone)
> >from lists
> where client_id =8
> order by full_phone)

That will make the table temporarily ordered, but that will only last
until the next update.

Maybe you want to number your records, and then you can insert the records
you want at the numbers you want (2500, 5000, ...).

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net