Обсуждение: 2 newbie questions

2 newbie questions

От
"Helen M Hudson"
Дата:
1. I'm porting a clients database over from access(!).  In order not to have
to tamper with the code, I need to rid myself of the oid column.  I have a
workaround which involves editing the code, but I was just interested if the
"getting rid of the oid column" was a possibility?

2. I have a date/time column in access... should this datatype be datetime
in postgres... and how do i format the text to import it into the postgres
file using copy?

All replies humbly appreciated! :)

Helen

Re: 2 newbie questions

От
Jason Earl
Дата:
"Helen M Hudson" <helen@rttc.co.za> writes:

> 1. I'm porting a clients database over from access(!).  In order not
> to have to tamper with the code, I need to rid myself of the oid
> column.  I have a workaround which involves editing the code, but I
> was just interested if the "getting rid of the oid column" was a
> possibility?

Well, you are in luck, the 7.2 release allows you to create tables
without the oid column.  However, I am curious as to why you would
want to get rid of the oid column.  It seems to me that if you didn't
want to see the oid column then you shouldn't select it when querying
:).  The oid column doesn't show up in any of the clients I use unless
I ask for it specifically.  I also believe that their is a tab in the
ODBC driver that hides that column.  It's been a while since I played
with the odbc driver, so I am not positive.

> 2. I have a date/time column in access... should this datatype be
> datetime in postgres... and how do i format the text to import it
> into the postgres file using copy?

I am not really all that familiar with access, but my guess is that
you want the timestamp type.  The preferred format for import is ISO
format:

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.mm TZ

but PostgreSQL is pretty flexible when it comes to date time input.  I
regularly import from SQL Server and I haven't ever had any problems
with timestamp fields.

> All replies humbly appreciated! :)
>
> Helen

Take Care,
Jason

Re: 2 newbie questions

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Helen,

First, go to TechDocs (http://techdocs.postgresql.org/).  There you will
find several articles and scripts for porting Access to PsotgreSQL.

Second, join pgsql-odbc mailing list, where you will find other users
running postgres with MS Access and VB front-ends.

> 1. I'm porting a clients database over from access(!).  In order not
> to have
> to tamper with the code, I need to rid myself of the oid column.  I
> have a
> workaround which involves editing the code, but I was just interested
> if the
> "getting rid of the oid column" was a possibility?

OID-less tables will become available in 7.2 (currently in beta).
However, as a developer who has one Access client app running on a
PostgreSQL back-end, I don't understand the problem that you are having
with OIDs.   They have not been a concern for me.

> 2. I have a date/time column in access... should this datatype be
> datetime
> in postgres... and how do i format the text to import it into the
> postgres
> file using copy?

Several valid date/time formats should work.  You'll have best luck with
the standard Unix format, that is "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS" (i.e.
"2001-07-10 14:23:57").

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: 2 newbie questions

От
"Rob Arnold"
Дата:
1) I believe there is an ODBC option to hide the OID column.  Also, I think
I read that 7.2 will have an option to create tables without OID's.

2) 2001-11-20 2:00:00PM  (yyyy-mm-dd hh:ss:mmAM)

--rob

> 1. I'm porting a clients database over from access(!).  In order not to
have
> to tamper with the code, I need to rid myself of the oid column.  I have a
> workaround which involves editing the code, but I was just interested if
the
> "getting rid of the oid column" was a possibility?
>
> 2. I have a date/time column in access... should this datatype be datetime
> in postgres... and how do i format the text to import it into the postgres
> file using copy?
>
> All replies humbly appreciated! :)
>
> Helen

--with-python under MacOSX

От
Nathan Wilson
Дата:
When I try to build PostgreSQL configured using the --with-python flag,
the build ends with the statement:

*** Cannot build PL/Python because libpython is not a shared library.
*** You might have to rebuild your Python installation.  Refer to
*** the documentation for details.

Unfortunately, I can't find the documentation it is refering to.  I've
tried rebuilding Python a couple of different ways, but I never seem to
get a libpython*.so (I do get libpython*.a's).  I can find any reference
to libpython in the PostgreSQL docs.  I expect I'm in a weird case since
I'm trying to get all of this working under MacOSX.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Nathan