Обсуждение: General Inquiry

General Inquiry

От
Mike Friesen
Дата:
A couple of general question about postgresql.

1) Does postgresql support unsigned datatypes?
2) Is there a maximum number of simultaneous connection to postgresql via
JDBC?

Mike

Re: General Inquiry

От
ERIC Lawson - x52010
Дата:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mike Friesen wrote:

> 1) Does postgresql support unsigned datatypes?

Yes.

> 2) Is there a maximum number of simultaneous connection to postgresql via
> JDBC?

I can't speak to JDBC limitations; see

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html

FAQ Number 3.9 for a discussion of PostgreSQL maximum number of backend
limitations.

--

James Eric Lawson
Research Publications Editor III

eric@bioeng.washington.edu

Everyday language is a part of the human organism and is no less
complicated than it. - Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951) [Tractatus
Logico-Philosophicus, 1921]

Re: General Inquiry

От
Mike Friesen
Дата:
Thank you for your response, in regards to my first question how would you
define an unsigned int2?  I haven't beeen able to find anything in the
postgresql documents?

Mike

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mike Friesen wrote:
>
> > 1) Does postgresql support unsigned datatypes?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2) Is there a maximum number of simultaneous connection to postgresql via
> > JDBC?
>
> I can't speak to JDBC limitations; see
>
>         http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html
>
> FAQ Number 3.9 for a discussion of PostgreSQL maximum number of backend
> limitations.
>
> --
>
> James Eric Lawson
> Research Publications Editor III
> National Simulation Resource
>
> eric@bioeng.washington.edu
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Everyday language is a part of the human organism and is no less
> complicated than it. - Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951) [Tractatus
> Logico-Philosophicus, 1921]

Re: General Inquiry

Дата:
ERIC Lawson - x52010 <eric@bioeng.washington.edu> writes:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mike Friesen wrote:
>> 1) Does postgresql support unsigned datatypes?

> Yes.

We *could* support unsigned-integer datatypes, if anyone actually
bothered to write one; which TTBOMK no one has done.  Do you really
need an unsigned-int type, as opposed to a plain vanilla integer
with a constraint "foo >= 0" ?

>> 2) Is there a maximum number of simultaneous connection to postgresql via
>> JDBC?

Should be whatever you've set as the max number of backends in the
postmaster parameters.

            regards, tom lane

Re: General Inquiry

От
ERIC Lawson - x52010
Дата:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mike Friesen wrote:

> Thank you for your response, in regards to my first question how would you
> define an unsigned int2?  I haven't beeen able to find anything in the
> postgresql documents?
>
> Mike

My yes response to the question posited that, even though I haven't seen
such a beast, the CREATE TYPE statement supports (creation and use) of
the unsigned data type.

Tom Lane's response is more to the point than mine.