Обсуждение: Best WebInterface...?

Best WebInterface...?

От
Herb Pabst
Дата:
I'm think of using PHP with Postgresql. Are there
any limitations to PHP that will keep me from
using PGsql to it fullest? Any recommendations?

Herbie Pabst

Re: Best WebInterface...?

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Herb Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com> [010129 14:00] wrote:
> I'm think of using PHP with Postgresql. Are there
> any limitations to PHP that will keep me from
> using PGsql to it fullest? Any recommendations?

I'm not sure if this is true, but I think php doesn't support
cursors, so large queiries may have to be sucked into the
webserver instead of processed one row at a time.

Re: Best WebInterface...?

От
"Robert B. Easter"
Дата:
On Monday 29 January 2001 17:13, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Herb Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com> [010129 14:00] wrote:
> > I'm think of using PHP with Postgresql. Are there
> > any limitations to PHP that will keep me from
> > using PGsql to it fullest? Any recommendations?
>
> I'm not sure if this is true, but I think php doesn't support
> cursors, so large queiries may have to be sucked into the
> webserver instead of processed one row at a time.

I've used cursors in php with no problems.

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
-- CompTechNews Message Board http://www.comptechnews.com/ --

Re: Best WebInterface...?

От
Louis Bertrand
Дата:
"Best" is a squishy term. It all depends on your application, and the
alternatives you are considering.

It seems to me PHP won't support all of PostgreSQL's funky datatypes, and
the object-relational model while the JDBC driver does, for instance.

I use PHP for my own work, with transactions and large objects working
fine.

Ciao
 --Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Herb Pabst wrote:

> I'm think of using PHP with Postgresql. Are there
> any limitations to PHP that will keep me from
> using PGsql to it fullest? Any recommendations?
>
> Herbie Pabst

Re: Best WebInterface...?

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Herb Pabst wrote:

> I'm think of using PHP with Postgresql. Are there
> any limitations to PHP that will keep me from
> using PGsql to it fullest? Any recommendations?

It all depends on what you are planning to do.  There really is no single
'best interface', IMHO.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
I think a relationship is like a shark.  It has to constantly move forward
or it dies.  Well, what we have on our hands here is a dead shark.
        -- Woody Allen

Slow date comparison

От
rudy
Дата:
Running Red Hat 7.0 kernel 2.2.16
PostgreSQL 7.0.3
Front End App is Cold Fusion

We only have about 22000 rows in the article table and it will grow quite a bit
larger.
When I turn debugging on (cold fusion) this query takes a while. Almost 3
sec...

rstDispThread (Records=6, Time=2982ms)
SQL =
SELECT a.id_article,
           a.subject,
           getNumPostsInThread(a.id_article,0) AS numPosts,
           isThreadNew(a.id_article,'2001-01-2617:28:37',0) AS  intThreadNew,
           a.is_hidden,
           a.is_locked,
           a.reply_to
      FROM ARTICLE a, USER_TAB ut
     WHERE a.id_article IN (75254,76255,79262,84264,94273,94277)
       AND a.author = ut.id_user
  ORDER BY a.date_create ASC

I have tried numerous indexing techniques and starting up the database with
larger Buffer size, and even the dreaded -F option, but nothing seems to help.

The two functions getNumPostsInThread and isThreadNew are pretty quick. I have
found the date comparison to be slow and was wondering if that could be sped
up?

This is part of the isThreadNew function, when I strip everything out and only
leave the WHERE date_create >=
TO_TIMESTAMP('2001-01-2617:28:37',’YYYY-MM-DDHH24:MI:SS’) clause and only pass
one article id to it - the query still takes .5 sec!! Is there any known
slowness attributed with date comparisons, etc??

SELECT COUNT(id_article)
 FROM ARTICLE
WHERE date_create >= TO_TIMESTAMP('2001-01-2617:28:37',’YYYY-MM-DDHH24:MI:SS’)
 AND (id_article = 79262
OR reply_to = 79262);

Does anyone have any ideas how to speed this up??

I also read something about being able to create an index based on a function
or am I way off base again?

Thanks in Advance,

Rudy Laczkovich

Re: Best WebInterface...?

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Robert McGinnis <fprefect@elite.net> [010130 07:45] wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if this is true, but I think php doesn't support
> > cursors, so large queiries may have to be sucked into the
> > webserver instead of processed one row at a time.
> >

> I have used cursors with php for over a year.  The problem is that is does
> not support them natively; any code that tests the call for pg_exec may
> fail since the return is undefined.  Here's how I write the code:
> //Note this is off the top of my head, you code may vary :-)

[snip]

> Move forward and backward works as before the fetch.  The part that I
> don't like is the inability to check whether the transaction block querys
> work; I had to console myself with counting the number of results I should
> get for the same query.  The bad part is that there is WAY to many queries
> being executed; the good part is it save a great many lines of
> quasi-convoluted logic whilst incrementing to the n or n+1 row of an
> answer.  I hope this helps,

It's nice but not as nice as having true support so that one doesn't need
to do all those redundant checks and queries.

Re: Slow date comparison

От
Andrew McMillan
rudy wrote:

> Running Red Hat 7.0 kernel 2.2.16
> PostgreSQL 7.0.3
> Front End App is Cold Fusion
>
> We only have about 22000 rows in the article table and it will grow quite a bit
> larger.
> When I turn debugging on (cold fusion) this query takes a while. Almost 3
> sec...
>
> rstDispThread (Records=6, Time=2982ms)
> SQL =
> SELECT a.id_article,
>            a.subject,
>            getNumPostsInThread(a.id_article,0) AS numPosts,
>            isThreadNew(a.id_article,'2001-01-2617:28:37',0) AS  intThreadNew,
>            a.is_hidden,
>            a.is_locked,
>            a.reply_to
>       FROM ARTICLE a, USER_TAB ut
>      WHERE a.id_article IN (75254,76255,79262,84264,94273,94277)
>        AND a.author = ut.id_user
>   ORDER BY a.date_create ASC

Don't use IN ( ... ), use EXISTS.

See the FAQ for more details, but IN won't use an index.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
           Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew@catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267

Re: Best WebInterface...?

От
Robert McGinnis
On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:13:38 -0800
> From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
> To: Herb Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com>
> Cc: pgsql-list <pgsql-novice@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: Best WebInterface...?
>
> * Herb Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com> [010129 14:00] wrote:
> > I'm think of using PHP with Postgresql. Are there
> > any limitations to PHP that will keep me from
> > using PGsql to it fullest? Any recommendations?
>
> I'm not sure if this is true, but I think php doesn't support
> cursors, so large queiries may have to be sucked into the
> webserver instead of processed one row at a time.

I have used cursors with php for over a year.  The problem is that is does
not support them natively; any code that tests the call for pg_exec may
fail since the return is undefined.  Here's how I write the code:
//Note this is off the top of my head, you code may vary :-)

$q = "begin";
$count = "select count (*) from clients where active='t'";
$qry =  "declare fred cursor for select * from clients where active='t';
$fetch = "fetch 20 from fred";
$fini = "commit";
if(! $res1 = pg_exec( $connect, $count ) ){
    return 0;
}
if ( 0 < pg_numrows( $res1 ) ){
    pg_exec( $connect, $q );       //undefined behavior
    pg_exec( $connect, $qry );     //undefined behavior
    if (! $res= pg_exec( $connect, $q ) ){
        return 0;
    }
    pg_exec($connect, $fini);       //undefined bevhavior
    if ( 0 >= pg_numrows( $res ) ){
        return 0;
    }
    do_something ( $res )
}
pg_free_result( $res );
pg_free_result( $res1);

Move forward and backward works as before the fetch.  The part that I
don't like is the inability to check whether the transaction block querys
work; I had to console myself with counting the number of results I should
get for the same query.  The bad part is that there is WAY to many queries
being executed; the good part is it save a great many lines of
quasi-convoluted logic whilst incrementing to the n or n+1 row of an
answer.  I hope this helps,
fprefect@dustpuppy.net                         Currently doing fieldwork as:
Elite.net Support                              Robert McGinnis
"So an object class contains the data, plus everything the class can do.
But is it a direct object, indirect object, or object of a preposition?"6/7/97