Обсуждение: idea to have driver return immediately after a query

idea to have driver return immediately after a query

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
It was suggested by Robert Haas that it would be possible to return
from a query immediately instead of reading the entire result set.
Instead of reading it we just let the O/S buffer the results until we
get around to reading it. Before I go to the trouble of prototyping
this can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work ?

Re: idea to have driver return immediately after a query

От
Oliver Jowett
Дата:
On 25 March 2011 13:40, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> It was suggested by Robert Haas that it would be possible to return
> from a query immediately instead of reading the entire result set.
> Instead of reading it we just let the O/S buffer the results until we
> get around to reading it. Before I go to the trouble of prototyping
> this can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work ?

What happens if the app then wants to run another query before reading
the resultset? One common case is going to be run query - inspect
resultset metadata - driver has to run internal queries to return that
metadata. I'm a little worried about error handling too.

For queries in a transaction, it might make sense to implement this
via portals, much as done for fetchsize (i.e. always ask for only 1
row initially, and read that immediately; then reading the resultset
beyond the first row triggers a fetch of the rest of the resultset as
if you had set a large fetchsize). Then you don't have to worry about
tying up the connection with an unread resultset. Though this means
you have to use a named statement and lose the unnamed statement
planning tweaks; and you will have to wait for the query to produce at
least one row before returning.

There are various things that the wire protocol / backend could do
better here - a portal equivalent to DECLARE CURSOR WITH HOLD, and
some way to say "defer planning on this named statement until Bind
please", would both be useful.

Oliver

Re: idea to have driver return immediately after a query

От
Maciek Sakrejda
Дата:
> For queries in a transaction, it might make sense to implement this
> via portals, much as done for fetchsize (i.e. always ask for only 1
> row initially...

For what it's worth, you don't even need to ask for 1 row. At Truviso,
we have a layer on top of the driver that asks for 0 rows initially,
and this works fine (in terms of providing query metadata). There
*may* be some plans with significant startup overhead where the cost
of returning zero rows is much less than that of returning one row.

Thanks,
---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com

Re: idea to have driver return immediately after a query

От
Oliver Jowett
Дата:
On 25 March 2011 17:53, Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda@truviso.com> wrote:
>> For queries in a transaction, it might make sense to implement this
>> via portals, much as done for fetchsize (i.e. always ask for only 1
>> row initially...
>
> For what it's worth, you don't even need to ask for 1 row. At Truviso,
> we have a layer on top of the driver that asks for 0 rows initially,
> and this works fine (in terms of providing query metadata). There
> *may* be some plans with significant startup overhead where the cost
> of returning zero rows is much less than that of returning one row.

Asking for zero rows from a portal means "give me all the data", though.

Oliver

Re: idea to have driver return immediately after a query

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> wrote:
> On 25 March 2011 13:40, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
>> It was suggested by Robert Haas that it would be possible to return
>> from a query immediately instead of reading the entire result set.
>> Instead of reading it we just let the O/S buffer the results until we
>> get around to reading it. Before I go to the trouble of prototyping
>> this can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work ?
>
> What happens if the app then wants to run another query before reading
> the resultset? One common case is going to be run query - inspect
> resultset metadata - driver has to run internal queries to return that
> metadata. I'm a little worried about error handling too.
>
> For queries in a transaction, it might make sense to implement this
> via portals, much as done for fetchsize (i.e. always ask for only 1
> row initially, and read that immediately; then reading the resultset
> beyond the first row triggers a fetch of the rest of the resultset as
> if you had set a large fetchsize). Then you don't have to worry about
> tying up the connection with an unread resultset. Though this means
> you have to use a named statement and lose the unnamed statement
> planning tweaks; and you will have to wait for the query to produce at
> least one row before returning.
>
> There are various things that the wire protocol / backend could do
> better here - a portal equivalent to DECLARE CURSOR WITH HOLD, and
> some way to say "defer planning on this named statement until Bind
> please", would both be useful.
>
> Oliver

I've included Robert on this email as he intimated that he if protocol
changes were made he would be interested in implementing them.

Dave

Re: idea to have driver return immediately after a query

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com> wrote:
>> On 25 March 2011 13:40, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
>>> It was suggested by Robert Haas that it would be possible to return
>>> from a query immediately instead of reading the entire result set.
>>> Instead of reading it we just let the O/S buffer the results until we
>>> get around to reading it. Before I go to the trouble of prototyping
>>> this can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work ?
>>
>> What happens if the app then wants to run another query before reading
>> the resultset? One common case is going to be run query - inspect
>> resultset metadata - driver has to run internal queries to return that
>> metadata. I'm a little worried about error handling too.
>>
>> For queries in a transaction, it might make sense to implement this
>> via portals, much as done for fetchsize (i.e. always ask for only 1
>> row initially, and read that immediately; then reading the resultset
>> beyond the first row triggers a fetch of the rest of the resultset as
>> if you had set a large fetchsize). Then you don't have to worry about
>> tying up the connection with an unread resultset. Though this means
>> you have to use a named statement and lose the unnamed statement
>> planning tweaks; and you will have to wait for the query to produce at
>> least one row before returning.
>>
>> There are various things that the wire protocol / backend could do
>> better here - a portal equivalent to DECLARE CURSOR WITH HOLD, and
>> some way to say "defer planning on this named statement until Bind
>> please", would both be useful.
>>
>> Oliver
>
> I've included Robert on this email as he intimated that he if protocol
> changes were made he would be interested in implementing them.

I was more interesting in helping review, but I do think it might be
about time to consider a protocol version bump, if we can gather
together in one bundle all the needs that aren't satisfied by the
current version.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company