Обсуждение: use connection pooling

use connection pooling

От
"janaka priyadarshana"
Дата:
i am tring to use connection pooing with postgresql but i was unable to found complete example about that.

got some idea from the documentation, but i was unable to run the given example.

please help me to getting start..

thanks....

Jdbc3PoolingDataSource source = new Jdbc3PoolingDataSource();
source.setDataSourceName("A Data Source");
source.setServerName ("localhost");
source.setDatabaseName("test");
source.setUser("testuser");
source.setPassword("testpassword");
source.setMaxConnections(10);

Connection con = null;
try {
con = source.getConnection();
// use connection
} catch (SQLException e) {
// log error
} finally {
if (con != null) {
try { con.close(); } catch (SQLException e) {}
}
}

Re: use connection pooling

От
"janaka priyadarshana"
Дата:
hi all

my database server is running on one  machine and the application is running on another machine(simple java application use to access the database).

so i want to know, what is the protocol that use to communicate between those two applications...?

thank you..

Re: use connection pooling

От
Guy Rouillier
Дата:
janaka priyadarshana wrote:
> hi all
>

> my database server is running on one  machine and the application is
> running on another machine(simple java application use to access the
> database).
>
> so i want to know, what is the protocol that use to communicate between
> those two applications...?

JDBC.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: use connection pooling

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> janaka priyadarshana wrote:
>> hi all
>>

>> my database server is running on one  machine and the application is
>> running on another machine(simple java application use to access the
>> database).
>>
>> so i want to know, what is the protocol that use to communicate
>> between those two applications...?
>
> JDBC.

not exactly.   JDBC is the API your app uses to access the database.
the JDBC class libraries for postgres on the client system will use
postgres's native protocol to talk to the PG Server (default of 5432/tcp)

Re: use connection pooling

От
Guy Rouillier
Дата:
John R Pierce wrote:
> Guy Rouillier wrote:
>> janaka priyadarshana wrote:
>>> hi all
>>>

>>> my database server is running on one  machine and the application is
>>> running on another machine(simple java application use to access the
>>> database).
>>>
>>> so i want to know, what is the protocol that use to communicate
>>> between those two applications...?
>>
>> JDBC.
>>

> not exactly.   JDBC is the API your app uses to access the database.
> the JDBC class libraries for postgres on the client system will use
> postgres's native protocol to talk to the PG Server (default of 5432/tcp)

Well, with any network communication, there are multiple layers of
protocols involved.  You took it one layer below JDBC, but we could keep
on going down to the physical layer link protocol.  Since the O.P. was
asking on a JDBC mailing list, I assumed he was interested in that layer.

--
Guy Rouillier

Re: use connection pooling

От
James Neff
Дата:
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> Guy Rouillier wrote:

>>> JDBC.
>>>

>> not exactly.   JDBC is the API your app uses to access the
>> database.   the JDBC class libraries for postgres on the client
>> system will use postgres's native protocol to talk to the PG Server
>> (default of 5432/tcp)
>
> Well, with any network communication, there are multiple layers of
> protocols involved.  You took it one layer below JDBC, but we could
> keep on going down to the physical layer link protocol.  Since the
> O.P. was asking on a JDBC mailing list, I assumed he was interested in
> that layer.

His first e-mail was asking for an example of how to do a connection
pooling in Java using JDBC.

I think he was trying to ask that same question and accidentally used
the word 'protocol'.  My guess is English is not his first language.

Maybe someone could post a URL to some connection pooling examples and
documentation?

--James

Re: use connection pooling

От
Vit Timchishin
Дата:
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> Guy Rouillier wrote:

>>> JDBC.
>>>

>> not exactly.   JDBC is the API your app uses to access the
>> database.   the JDBC class libraries for postgres on the client
>> system will use postgres's native protocol to talk to the PG Server
>> (default of 5432/tcp)
>
> Well, with any network communication, there are multiple layers of
> protocols involved.  You took it one layer below JDBC, but we could
> keep on going down to the physical layer link protocol.  Since the
> O.P. was asking on a JDBC mailing list, I assumed he was interested in
> that layer.

Note the difference between the Protocol and the API.
Correct answer, IMHO, would be that PostgreSQL JDBC driver is Type 4 and
it will use same protocol as native client. To be noted, that is does
not contain Type 2 driver and so can communicate via TCP/IP only, even
when connecting to local host. Also there is an option to use SSL
secured connection, but I can't tell any more (how to enable this)
because've never used this mode. There may be some Java-specific SSL
problems (like specifying keyring).