Обсуждение: XA Resources

XA Resources

От
Rich Rutkowski
Дата:
Have been using both the 8.1-405.jdbc3.jar driver (thick client) and
also the pg73jdbc3.jar(server side) driver.  I have been receiving
messages from the Application Server, Sun's Platform Edition 8.1,
regarding non-XA resources.  If we read your site correctly the
postgresql-8.2dev-503.jdbc3.jar driver has partial support for XA
resources.  We are not interleaving transactions at this point so it
should work.  However, we notice that there is the sequence "dev" in the
driver name.  Is the "dev" driver a new code base as compared to the
-405 driver or an extension to add the XA capability?  Our application
is mission critical and stability is very important.

Re: XA Resources

От
Oliver Jowett
Дата:
Rich Rutkowski wrote:
> Have been using both the 8.1-405.jdbc3.jar driver (thick client) and
> also the pg73jdbc3.jar(server side) driver.

I don't know what you mean about "server side", the 7.3 drivers are the
same sort of driver as the more recent ones -- they communicate over a
TCP pipe.

Also the 7.3 drivers are very old and bugridden. I wouldn't use them
unless you really have to.

> However, we notice that there is the sequence "dev" in the
> driver name.  Is the "dev" driver a new code base as compared to the
> -405 driver or an extension to add the XA capability?

The "dev" drivers are generally a snapshot of CVS HEAD, and are usually
a work in progress.

> Our application
> is mission critical and stability is very important.

I suggest you pick a driver version and test it yourself internally if
you are running a mission critical application on it. The source code
is, of course, available, so that gives you scope to fix critical
problems yourself immediately, rather than waiting on a response from
the (often busy with other work) driver developers.

-O

Re: XA Resources

От
Kris Jurka

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Rich Rutkowski wrote:

> Have been using both the 8.1-405.jdbc3.jar driver (thick client) and
> also the pg73jdbc3.jar(server side) driver.  I have been receiving
> messages from the Application Server, Sun's Platform Edition 8.1,
> regarding non-XA resources. If we read your site correctly the
> postgresql-8.2dev-503.jdbc3.jar driver has partial support for XA
> resources.  We are not interleaving transactions at this point so it
> should work.  However, we notice that there is the sequence "dev" in the
> driver name.  Is the "dev" driver a new code base as compared to the
> -405 driver or an extension to add the XA capability?  Our application
> is mission critical and stability is very important.

The -dev release is indeed the development release, but nothing new has
happened regarding XA support in the 8.2 series, so the code should be
identical to the 8.1 release.  So for your purposes you should use the 8.1
driver as it has the latest XA code and is more stable than the -dev
series.

Kris Jurka