Обсуждение: 8.x JDBC driver

8.x JDBC driver

От
jao@geophile.com
Дата:
I'm currently using Postgrseql 7.4.8 including the JDBC driver. I'm
considering moving up to version 8, and thinking about intermediate
steps.

- Can the 8.x driver be used with a 7.4.8 server?

- What are the major differences between the two versions? I checked
out the jdbc.postgresql.com changelog, but I'm looking for
higher-level information. I'm particularly interested in
performance-related improvements: use of server-side prepared
statements, string overhead in the driver, etc.

- Can COPY TO STDOUT and COPY FROM STDIN be done using the 8.x driver?
(I couldn't get these to work in 7.4.x).

Jack Orenstein

Re: 8.x JDBC driver

От
Markus Schaber
Дата:
Hi, Jao,

jao@geophile.com wrote:
> I'm currently using Postgrseql 7.4.8 including the JDBC driver. I'm
> considering moving up to version 8, and thinking about intermediate
> steps.
>
> - Can the 8.x driver be used with a 7.4.8 server?

Yes, you can easily mix driver and server versions from 7.3 up to 8.1
without problems (might be even 7.2).

It may be even better to use the 8.1 driver against 7.4 servers to
profit from better utilization of the V3 protocol and other optimizations.

> - Can COPY TO STDOUT and COPY FROM STDIN be done using the 8.x driver?
> (I couldn't get these to work in 7.4.x).

There are some patches floating around in the net against various driver
versions that enable COPY support. Maybe they help you.

Schabi