Обсуждение: persistence of java objects

persistence of java objects

От
"jessica xingzc_he"
Дата:
hi,

Does postgresql support this? if i want a column of a table for the
persistence of instance of java objects, and use ResultSet.getObject() and
ResultSet.updateObjecct() to access them. if so, what data type the column
should be?

thanks
zhenchang

Re: persistence of java objects

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Hi,

postgresql doesn't support this they way I suspect you are thinking of it.

How do other databases do this ?

dave

--
Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com

Re: persistence of java objects

От
Ulrich Meis
Дата:
On Sunday 31 October 2004 01:05, jessica xingzc_he wrote:
> hi,
>
> Does postgresql support this? if i want a column of a table for the
> persistence of instance of java objects, and use ResultSet.getObject() and
> ResultSet.updateObjecct() to access them. if so, what data type the column
> should be?

If you use a standard type like integer or varchar, you can do things like

setObject(1,new Integer(5));
setObject(2,"something");

which would be equivalent to

setInteger(1,new Integer(5));
setString(2,"something");

If you want to store complex objects in the database then they should
implement the java.io.serializable interface. Thereby you can store them in a
byteArray or push them into a bytearraystream and write the result with the
usual methods into the database.
A simple serialization example is here for java.io.File:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/serialization/spec/examples.doc1.html

Regards,

Uli

Re: persistence of java objects

От
Markus Schaber
Дата:
Hi, Jessica,

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:05:44 -0600
"jessica xingzc_he" <xingzc_he@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does postgresql support this? if i want a column of a table for the
> persistence of instance of java objects, and use ResultSet.getObject() and
> ResultSet.updateObjecct() to access them. if so, what data type the column
> should be?

Currently, there's no support for general Java objects.

But maybe what you really need is a persistance framework. Hibernate
currently seems to be a reasonable one, and it supports PostgreSQL.

HTH,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich