Обсуждение: setFetchSize

setFetchSize

От
Felipe Schnack
Дата:
There is a way that I can set setFetchSize() that will prevent pgsql from caching all the results of a query to
server'smemory?
  I'm trying to search in the archives but any search I try returns 0 results...

--

 /~\ The ASCII        Felipe Schnack (felipes@ritterdosreis.br)
 \ / Ribbon Campaign  Analista de Sistemas

Centro Universitário Ritter dos Reis
http://www.ritterdosreis.br
ritter@ritterdosreis.br
Fone: 51-32303341

Re: setFetchSize

От
Fernando Nasser
Дата:
Felipe Schnack wrote:
>   There is a way that I can set setFetchSize() that will prevent pgsql from caching all the results of a query to
server'smemory?
>   I'm trying to search in the archives but any search I try returns 0 results...

Have you tried setting it to a positive value and turning off autocommit
(you must be inside a transaction to do this)?

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

Re: setFetchSize [Viruschecked]

От
"Patric Bechtel"
Дата:

Re: setFetchSize [Viruschecked]

От
Felipe Schnack
Дата:
Hi Patric!
  hm... would be nice if this patch of yours were in the current driver... you submitted it to the maintainers?
  I actually don't understand why the default behaviour is to fetch all data, seems crazy to me :-)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:12:32 +0200
"Patric Bechtel" <bechtel@ipcon.de> wrote:

 /~\ The ASCII        Felipe Schnack (felipes@ritterdosreis.br)
 \ / Ribbon Campaign  Analista de Sistemas
  X  Against HTML     Cel.: 51-91287530
 / \ Email!           Linux Counter #281893

Centro Universitário Ritter dos Reis
http://www.ritterdosreis.br
ritter@ritterdosreis.br
Fone: 51-32303341

Re: setFetchSize

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 17/07/2003 14:24 Felipe Schnack wrote:
>   There is a way that I can set setFetchSize() that will prevent pgsql
> from caching all the results of a query to server's memory?
>   I'm trying to search in the archives but any search I try returns 0
> results...

Not AFAIK. A work-round might be to use limit and offset in your sql.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: setFetchSize [Viruschecked]

От
Barry Lind

Felipe Schnack wrote:
>   Hi Patric!
>   hm... would be nice if this patch of yours were in the current driver... you submitted it to the maintainers?
>   I actually don't understand why the default behaviour is to fetch all data, seems crazy to me :-)

In 7.4 the protocol that clients use to talk with the server has changed
to allow much more efficient fetching of data.  One of the reasons this
was changed was because of feedback from the jdbc driver developers.  So
in the future this will work much better than today.  Unfortunately it
will take time before all of the new features in the V3 protocol are
utilized by the jdbc code.  But it is now possible to do a much better job.

thanks,
--Barry

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:12:32 +0200
> "Patric Bechtel" <bechtel@ipcon.de> wrote:

>>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
>>
>>               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: setFetchSize [Viruschecked] [Viruschecked]

От
"Patric Bechtel"
Дата:

Re: setFetchSize [Viruschecked]

От
Felipe Schnack
Дата:
This is actually pretty nice... but I need a solution for today. Summing it all up, today I have to use cursors,
right?
  Better yet, I think I'll patch my jdbc driver to use cursors when I specify a fetch size :-)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:28:06 -0700
Barry Lind <blind@xythos.com> wrote:

> Felipe Schnack wrote:
> >   Hi Patric!
> >   hm... would be nice if this patch of yours were in the current driver... you submitted it to the maintainers?
> >   I actually don't understand why the default behaviour is to fetch all data, seems crazy to me :-)
> >

> In 7.4 the protocol that clients use to talk with the server has changed
> to allow much more efficient fetching of data.  One of the reasons this
> was changed was because of feedback from the jdbc driver developers.  So
> in the future this will work much better than today.  Unfortunately it
> will take time before all of the new features in the V3 protocol are
> utilized by the jdbc code.  But it is now possible to do a much better job.
>
> thanks,
> --Barry
>

> > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:12:32 +0200
> > "Patric Bechtel" <bechtel@ipcon.de> wrote:

> >>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >>TIP 6: Have you searched our list archives?
> >>
> >>               http://archives.postgresql.org

--

 /~\ The ASCII        Felipe Schnack (felipes@ritterdosreis.br)
 \ / Ribbon Campaign  Analista de Sistemas
  X  Against HTML     Cel.: 51-91287530
 / \ Email!           Linux Counter #281893

Centro Universitário Ritter dos Reis
http://www.ritterdosreis.br
ritter@ritterdosreis.br
Fone: 51-32303341

Re: setFetchSize [Viruschecked] [Viruschecked]

От
"Patric Bechtel"
Дата: