Обсуждение: Where should I connect to the database?

Where should I connect to the database?

От
Dino Cherian
Дата:
Hi all,

I would like to know which one is the best method of
managing database connection in Java 1.3 (with
PostgreSQL 7.1.2 JDBC).

Option 1:
    Connect to the database in the "main" function and
disconnect on program exit. Use it throughout the life
of the application. "Connect once and use for ever".

Option 2:
    Connect to the database near the code that uses it
and disconnect after that block of code. "Use and
throw away".

Please help me.

Thanks
Dino

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

Re: Where should I connect to the database?

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Dino,

I tend to get a connection when I need it, and release it right away. It
sort of depends on what you are doing. My applications are servlets, so
the connections need to be shared with users. To this end I use a
connection pool.

Dave

I would like to know which one is the best method of
managing database connection in Java 1.3 (with
PostgreSQL 7.1.2 JDBC).

Option 1:
    Connect to the database in the "main" function and disconnect on
program exit. Use it throughout the life of the application. "Connect
once and use for ever".

Option 2:
    Connect to the database near the code that uses it
and disconnect after that block of code. "Use and
throw away".

Please help me.

Thanks
Dino

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Where should I connect to the database?

От
"Jayesh K. Parayali"
Option 2 if you want your application to scale.

I would like to know which one is the best method of
managing database connection in Java 1.3 (with
PostgreSQL 7.1.2 JDBC).

Option 1:
    Connect to the database in the "main" function and
disconnect on program exit. Use it throughout the life
of the application. "Connect once and use for ever".

Option 2:
    Connect to the database near the code that uses it
and disconnect after that block of code. "Use and
throw away".

Please help me.

Thanks
Dino

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Where should I connect to the database?

От
Vicktor
Дата:
Option 1 if you want your application more fast.

Vic

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 04:11:50 -0800 (PST)
Dino Cherian <inimss@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know which one is the best method of
> managing database connection in Java 1.3 (with
> PostgreSQL 7.1.2 JDBC).
>
> Option 1:
>     Connect to the database in the "main" function and
> disconnect on program exit. Use it throughout the life
> of the application. "Connect once and use for ever".
>
> Option 2:
>     Connect to the database near the code that uses it
> and disconnect after that block of code. "Use and
> throw away".
>
> Please help me.
>
> Thanks
> Dino

> http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Where should I connect to the database?

От
"Jayesh K. Parayali"
Дата:
Performance improvement with Option 1 is nigligible if you are using
connection pooling.

Jayesh

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Where should I connect to the database?

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Option 1 & 2 utilizing a connection pool if you want scalability, and
speed.

Dave

Option 1 if you want your application more fast.

Vic

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 04:11:50 -0800 (PST)
Dino Cherian <inimss@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know which one is the best method of
> managing database connection in Java 1.3 (with
> PostgreSQL 7.1.2 JDBC).
>
> Option 1:
>     Connect to the database in the "main" function and disconnect on
> program exit. Use it throughout the life of the application. "Connect
> once and use for ever".
>
> Option 2:
>     Connect to the database near the code that uses it
> and disconnect after that block of code. "Use and
> throw away".
>
> Please help me.
>
> Thanks
> Dino

> http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Where should I connect to the database?

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Dino-

It depends on the nature of your application:

If you expect to have  many copies of the application running (like in a
servlet app), you'll want to release the resource (connection), otherwise
you'll have a lot of processes idling out there when they aren't needed &
may bump into other resource limits. The drawback is that it takes time to
re-establish a connection each time you need it.
As some of the other folks mentioned, using a connection pool would be the
best approach in this circumstance.

If you don't expect to have many copies of the app running, you might as
well leave the connection open & get better performance by having the
connection always ready.

-NF