Обсуждение: Memory exeception

Memory exeception

От
Peter Wasem
Дата:
Hi

I have a problem in processing large numbers of rows in ResultSets.
Here's the code fragment where the problem occurs:

    ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery( "select ... from ... where ...
order by ..." ) ;
    while(rset.next() )
    { // Process the row }

The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
executed suddenly an exception occurs.
The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.

Any ideas ?

Greetings
Peter

Вложения

Re: Memory exeception

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
> The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
> executed suddenly an exception occurs.
> The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.

Any other clues? Does it just say "memory exception", or is there more?

I've had terrible performance occur when retrieving huge ResultSets
(presumably because I had caused swapping to occur at the OS level), but not
an exception.

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: Memory exeception

От
Per-Olof Norén
> I have a problem in processing large numbers of rows in ResultSets.
> Here's the code fragment where the problem occurs:

>     ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery( "select ... from ... where ...
> order by ..." ) ;
>     while(rset.next() )
>     { // Process the row }
>
> The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
> executed suddenly an exception occurs.
> The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.

You haven´t been clear on what exact exception is thrown,
but a wild guess is that executeQuery throws an exception due to the fact
that
the SQL of the query is illigal for postgresql.
Of course, without having seen your query, and the exception , this is all
speculation.
Could you post it?
Regards
Per-Olof Norén

Re: Memory exeception

От
Per-Olof Norén
> > The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
> > executed suddenly an exception occurs.
> > The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.
>
> Any other clues? Does it just say "memory exception", or is there more?
>
> I've had terrible performance occur when retrieving huge ResultSets
> (presumably because I had caused swapping to occur at the OS level), but
not
> an exception.

I am using  viennaSQL (a swing based jdbc gui client) to retrieve huge (800
000)  Resultsets.
The java VM needs to be launched with the appropriate memory settings.
for example: "java -Xmx512m MyClass" which allows this vm 512 Megabytes of
memory.
I think this exception should have been OutOfMemoryException and not
MemoryException
for this to be the reason. Anyway, try starting your app with more memory
available.

ps
    disregard my last posting, i wasn´t reading the subject line to well :-)
ds

Re: Memory exeception

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Peter,

Postgres will return the entire result into memory first before
processing the first row of data.  If you don't want this behavior you
should use explicit cursors and fetch statements to get data a few rows
at a time.  See the postgres documentation on the 'cursor' and 'fetch'
sql statements.

thanks,
--Barry

Peter Wasem wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a problem in processing large numbers of rows in ResultSets.
> Here's the code fragment where the problem occurs:

>     ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery( "select ... from ... where ...
> order by ..." ) ;
>     while(rset.next() )
>     { // Process the row }
>
> The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
> executed suddenly an exception occurs.
> The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Greetings
> Peter

Re: Memory exeception

От
Peter Wasem
Дата:
Hi Barry

This is exactly what I observed. The physical memory dropped down to almost
zero (but no swap was used) before the exception was thrown. I'm not sure if I
can use cursors (other than ResultSet) since my application is Java-based.

Thanks

Barry Lind wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Postgres will return the entire result into memory first before
> processing the first row of data.  If you don't want this behavior you
> should use explicit cursors and fetch statements to get data a few rows
> at a time.  See the postgres documentation on the 'cursor' and 'fetch'
> sql statements.
>
> thanks,
> --Barry
>
> Peter Wasem wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a problem in processing large numbers of rows in ResultSets.
> > Here's the code fragment where the problem occurs:

> >     ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery( "select ... from ... where ...
> > order by ..." ) ;
> >     while(rset.next() )
> >     { // Process the row }
> >
> > The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
> > executed suddenly an exception occurs.
> > The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.
> >
> > Any ideas ?
> >
> > Greetings
> > Peter

> >     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Вложения

Re: Memory exeception

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Is it possible to take this approach with a query that has an "order by" in
it?

-Nick

Re: Memory exeception

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Peter,

You certainly can do this with java.  I do in my code in many places.
Consider the following example that processes all rows in the table
'bar' by fetching 10 rows at a time.

thanks,
--Barry

PreparedStatement l_cursorstmt = connection.PrepareStatement("declare
foo_cursor cursor for select foo from bar");
PreparedStatement l_fetchstmt = connection.PrepareStatement("fetch
forward 10 from foo_cursor");

//open the cursor
l_cursorstmt.execute();

ResultSet l_rset;
int l_count;
do {
   //continue looping until you get no rows returned in a fetch
   l_count = 0;
   //fetch rows from the cursor using the fetch statement
   l_rset = l_fetchstmt.executeQuery();
   while (l_rset.next) {
     l_count++;
     //process the rows here
   }
} while (l_count > 0);

//don't forget to close the cursor
PreparedStatement l_closestmt = connection.PrepareStatement("close
foo_cursor");
l_closestmt.execute();

Peter Wasem wrote:

> Hi Barry
>
> This is exactly what I observed. The physical memory dropped down to almost
> zero (but no swap was used) before the exception was thrown. I'm not sure if I
> can use cursors (other than ResultSet) since my application is Java-based.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry Lind wrote:
>

>>Peter,
>>
>>Postgres will return the entire result into memory first before
>>processing the first row of data.  If you don't want this behavior you
>>should use explicit cursors and fetch statements to get data a few rows
>>at a time.  See the postgres documentation on the 'cursor' and 'fetch'
>>sql statements.
>>
>>thanks,
>>--Barry
>>
>>Peter Wasem wrote:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have a problem in processing large numbers of rows in ResultSets.
>>>Here's the code fragment where the problem occurs:

>>>    ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery( "select ... from ... where ...
>>>order by ..." ) ;
>>>    while(rset.next() )
>>>    { // Process the row }
>>>
>>>The query addresses some 100'000 rows. When stmt.executeQuery() is
>>>executed suddenly an exception occurs.
>>>The same program works fine with other JDBC drivers.
>>>
>>>Any ideas ?
>>>
>>>Greetings
>>>Peter
>>>
>>>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: Memory exeception

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Nick,

If by 'this approach' you mean using explicit cursors and fetch
statements, the answer is yes.  The query in the cursor is run in the
same way as without a cursor.  Each fetch statement allows you to get an
additional set of rows.  There is also a MOVE statement that lets you
move to a specific row in the query to return it, also fetch allows you
to fetch backwards or forwards through the cursor.  You can think of
cursors as simply having the result set maintained on the server instead
of the client.  Fetch and move allow you to access the rows.

thanks,
--Barry

Nick Fankhauser wrote:

> Is it possible to take this approach with a query that has an "order by" in
> it?
>
> -Nick

Re: Memory exeception

От
Peter Wasem
Дата:
Hi Barry

Looks good! I thought cursors are only available in embedded SQL. So this approach
seems to work for me.
Thanks for your help.

Peter