Обсуждение: Code Fixes

Code Fixes

От
Paul
Дата:
Hi,

I have been working with your driver along with Forte for Java and it's not
so Transparent Persistence.

In trying to use your driver along with PostgreSQl 7.1 I have found some
problems and fixed them in the DatabaseMetaData class.

I am not an expert on Postgres, JDBC drivers or open source but I have been
around the coding block a few times. Anyway Transparent Persistence now
works with your driver and these fixes. So if I can assume Sun has
implemented there end correctly my fixes should be correct.

Anyway if you are interested in this code I can send it.

Or you can explain how I can put it into your code base or send a link with
an explanation.

Thanks,
Paul Vickerman
Technical Architect
Higher Ground Software Inc.

Re: Code Fixes

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Paul,

Please send a patch to this list

Thanks,

Dave

I have been working with your driver along with Forte for Java and it's
not so Transparent Persistence.

In trying to use your driver along with PostgreSQl 7.1 I have found some
problems and fixed them in the DatabaseMetaData class.

I am not an expert on Postgres, JDBC drivers or open source but I have
been around the coding block a few times. Anyway Transparent Persistence
now works with your driver and these fixes. So if I can assume Sun has
implemented there end correctly my fixes should be correct.

Anyway if you are interested in this code I can send it.

Or you can explain how I can put it into your code base or send a link
with an explanation.

Thanks,
Paul Vickerman
Technical Architect
Higher Ground Software Inc.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Proposal to remove Serialize from the JDBC driver

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Hi folks

I would like to propose removing the Serialize code from the driver.

My reasons for doing so include:

1) It adds unnecessary complexity to the driver
2) I don't think this is the correct place for this code
3) There are much better ways to achieve persistence available.
http://www.ambysoft.com/persistenceLayer.html

If anyone has any objections, or comments please let them be known

Dave

Re: Code Fixes

От
Barry Lind
Дата:
Paul,

The best way to get this patched in is to send a patch (diff -c format)
of the changes diffed against current sources to this list.  Someone
from here will look at it and apply it to CVS.

A comment for you on your fixes.  Have you looked at current CVS sources
to see if your problems still exist in the latest code?  There have been
a number of fixes that have gone into the DatabaseMetaData classes since
7.1.

thanks,
--Barry

Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working with your driver along with Forte for Java and it's not
> so Transparent Persistence.
>
> In trying to use your driver along with PostgreSQl 7.1 I have found some
> problems and fixed them in the DatabaseMetaData class.
>
> I am not an expert on Postgres, JDBC drivers or open source but I have been
> around the coding block a few times. Anyway Transparent Persistence now
> works with your driver and these fixes. So if I can assume Sun has
> implemented there end correctly my fixes should be correct.
>
> Anyway if you are interested in this code I can send it.
>
> Or you can explain how I can put it into your code base or send a link with
> an explanation.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Vickerman
> Technical Architect
> Higher Ground Software Inc.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Logging in the driver

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
I am looking at trying to debug the driver for staroffice.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise, this requires logging. Currently
the driver has a rudimentary mechanism for logging

DriverManager.println()

This is ok, but it doesn't provide for various levels of debugging.

One possibility is to use something like log4j, but given the recent
distaste for adding binaries to the download I am reluctant to add a
library.

At this point I will probably add for my own purposes a simple logging
system that can be controlled by level.

A while ago someone posted a message which suggested that they had added
instrumentation to the driver. If this person is still on the list,
please contact me.

Cheers,

Dave

Re: Code Fixes

От
Paul
Дата:
Dave,

I have attached the code.

I used the latest JDBC 2 version code base.

The only testing I have done is in regards to getting Forte Transparent
Persistence working.

I did not make changes to the JDBC 1 version.

Thanks,
Paul Vickerman

>Paul,
>
>Please send a patch to this list
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave

Вложения

Re: Code Fixes

От
"Dave Cramer"
Дата:
Paul,

Thanks very much for your code; is it possible for you to provide this
in a context diff

The command using cvs command line is cvs -c diff <filename>

Dave

I used the latest JDBC 2 version code base.

The only testing I have done is in regards to getting Forte Transparent
Persistence working.

I did not make changes to the JDBC 1 version.

Thanks,
Paul Vickerman

>Paul,
>
>Please send a patch to this list
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave

Re: Code Fixes

Дата:
Paul, I believe we are waiting for a diff -c that can be applied to the
PostgreSQL CVS for 7.3.

Paul wrote:
> I sent that a few months back and it was applied to cvs at that time.

Oh, I missed that.  Sorry.  Thanks.