Обсуждение: callable statements, latest snapshot

callable statements, latest snapshot

От
Gregory Bittar
Дата:
The last I heard, CallableStatements were going to be
part of the 7.1 release.  I downloaded the latest 7.1
snapshot (March 10th's) and was surprised to find that
the Connection objects for both JDBC1 and JDBC2 drivers
are hardcoded to throw an error when CallableStatements
are attempted.  Does this mean that CallableStatements
will not be in 7.1?

My project is leaning heavily on CallableStatements and
I have a deadline looming, so I'd appreciate an answer
on this if possible.  Thanks a lot.

Re: callable statements, latest snapshot

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
At 19:46 11/03/01 -0500, Gregory Bittar wrote:
>The last I heard, CallableStatements were going to be
>part of the 7.1 release.  I downloaded the latest 7.1
>snapshot (March 10th's) and was surprised to find that
>the Connection objects for both JDBC1 and JDBC2 drivers
>are hardcoded to throw an error when CallableStatements
>are attempted.  Does this mean that CallableStatements
>will not be in 7.1?

That was the idea back when 7.0 was done, but with one thing or another
it's got delayed. There is a group of students working on it as a class
project but that won't be done until 7.2 (probably).

>My project is leaning heavily on CallableStatements and
>I have a deadline looming, so I'd appreciate an answer
>on this if possible.  Thanks a lot.

>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: callable statements, latest snapshot

От
Gregory Bittar
Дата:
Thanks for your really timely response.   It is appreciated.

Forging ahead, are there any workarounds for this process?  I was thinking
about reorganizing things around log/event tables.   An insert to a log
table would trigger my stored procs, which would in turn apply more
complicated business rules and SQL updates to my regular domain tables.
This keeps the cost of database interaction down to one connection.  I can't
seem to figure out a way to return an integer code though.   I could insert
the return code in the log table record and then do a subsequent select to
find the result.   I'd have to tag the log table record with some unique
value to make sure I retrieve the correct record/return code value.  Is this
the best that I can hope for?

I want to thank you btw.  All I can say is that the whole effort is very
much appreciated by programmers like me who can afford to go commercial with
an affordable, professional quality database.