Обсуждение: [Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]

[Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]

От
Antonio Fiol
Дата:
Sorry, I sent the message to Peter only...
> Yes, there's been a lot of problems with timestamps, mainly where it was
> getting confused with timezone/millisecond variations. 99% of these have been
> fixed in the 7.1 driver.
>
> (I say 99% as there is bound to be a senario we've missed out ;-) )
>
> Peter

I downloaded the 7.0 three days ago!!!!

Is there an RPM for the 7.1 stuff?

Should I install all of the 7.1 packages, or should the JDBC driver be enough?

If all of them are necessary, must I recreate my database, or can I upgrade
cleanly, without touching to my data ?

Thank you for answering that quickly !!!!

Antonio Fiol
W3ping

Re: [Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
jdbc version don't follow postgres versions, so the jdbc drivers from
the 7.1 codebase should work with a 7.0 server.  Provided there aren't
any bugs in those jdbc drivers, of course.  Why are you using 7.0 when
7.0.3 is out?  I think some of the timestamp problems were fixed in
7.0.3.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net

reteptools.jar

От
"Mike Cannon-Brookes"
Дата:
What is this for? Anything useful in it Peter?

I assume some purpose but it just seems to compile and sit around ? ;)

-mike

Re: Re: [Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]

От
Antonio Fiol
Дата:
Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> jdbc version don't follow postgres versions, so the jdbc drivers from
> the 7.1 codebase should work with a 7.0 server.  Provided there aren't
> any bugs in those jdbc drivers, of course.  Why are you using 7.0 when
> 7.0.3 is out?  I think some of the timestamp problems were fixed in
> 7.0.3.

In fact, what I downloaded was the RedHat RPMs for 7.0.3-2.

> > > Yes, there's been a lot of problems with timestamps, mainly where it was
> > > getting confused with timezone/millisecond variations. 99% of these have been
> > > fixed in the 7.1 driver.
> > >
> > > (I say 99% as there is bound to be a senario we've missed out ;-) )
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > I downloaded the 7.0 three days ago!!!!
> >
> > Is there an RPM for the 7.1 stuff?

I reiterate my question: Are there RPM packages for the 7.1 driver? If so, where can I find
them?

Thank you all for your help! Your support is much better than that of IBM DB2 or Oracle.
Thanks again!

Antonio Fiol

> > Should I install all of the 7.1 packages, or should the JDBC driver be enough?
> >
> > If all of them are necessary, must I recreate my database, or can I upgrade
> > cleanly, without touching to my data ?
> >
> > Thank you for answering that quickly !!!!
> >
> > Antonio Fiol
> > W3ping
>
> --
> Joseph Shraibman
> jks@selectacast.net
> Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

Re: reteptools.jar

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Mike Cannon-Brookes <mcannon@internet.com>:

> What is this for? Anything useful in it Peter?
>
> I assume some purpose but it just seems to compile and sit around ? ;)

It's my own in house suite of tools for JDBC (both using & developing).

I decided at the start of the year to release them alongside 7.1, and what
you've seen is where I've prepared where the source is going to live. It's
under /contrib because it's not part of the JDBC driver as such, and it keeps
the two sets of source separate.

Now what's in cvs at the moment is some XML core code that I've worked on since
that decision but the rest should start going in from this weekend.

When completed, theres tools dealing with JDBC (to name a few):

* .properties editor (handles all language variants at once. This makes
  it difficult to miss out individual error messages.
* XML Editor. General purpose tool but useful for the ant config.
* ImportExport - this is a general purpose tool that can handle transfering
  data from one source (JDBC/XML/ASCII/Bean) to another.

There's a lot of other little utility classes, which will go in there
eventually. The idea of having a single .jar file is that they can be called by
a users app by simply being in the classpath.

Now why put them into PostgreSQL rather than separately? Well it's because 90%
of them were written specifically for PostgreSQL (although the core XML stuff
in cvs already also works fine with Oracle8i), so it seemed the logical place.

The only one of my tools that will not go in is the pdf library. One because
it's pretty big, but mainly because It's the only one previously released and I
put that one out on the LGPL (the rest are fresh - never been released, so
theres no Licence problems). I'm effectively donating them to the postgresql
community.

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

Re: Re: [Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Antonio Fiol <fiol@w3ping.com>:

> Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>
> > jdbc version don't follow postgres versions, so the jdbc drivers from
> > the 7.1 codebase should work with a 7.0 server.  Provided there
> aren't any bugs in those jdbc drivers, of course.  Why are you using 7.0
> when 7.0.3 is out?  I think some of the timestamp problems were fixed in
> > 7.0.3.

I can't guarantee that 7.1 will work with 7.0. 99% of it will do but some
MetaData methods will not because they use features only present in 7.1 (ie
inner/outer joins). What's in CVS will do, but I have those changes ready to
commit.

[Before anyone asks, these should throw an SQLException which is the correct
way to handle this under the JDBC Spec ;-) ]

In general the JDBC driver should work with at least the previous version, but
it does try to stay inline with the current version (which is why I keep a
binary copy of previous versions on the web site.

> In fact, what I downloaded was the RedHat RPMs for 7.0.3-2.

There were still Timestamp bugs in 7.0.3. Hopefully they are gone in 7.1

> it was
> these have been

> )

> > > I downloaded the 7.0 three days ago!!!!
> > >
> > > Is there an RPM for the 7.1 stuff?
>
> I reiterate my question: Are there RPM packages for the 7.1 driver? If
> so, where can I find them?

I'm not sure about the current 7.1beta's. However, I've not put up a 7.1 .jar
file (all that's needed really) for the betas as things have been a bit fast of
late. I'll put a current beta on the web site over the weekend.

> Thank you all for your help! Your support is much better than that of
> IBM DB2 or Oracle.

I'm slowly discovering that our JDBC driver seems to support more JDBC than
Oracle's does (or appears). I've been playing with Oracle8i since starting this
job two months ago, and it's been amazing what we can do that it can't
(Inner/Outer joins for a start) ;-)

Peter

> Thanks again!
>
> Antonio Fiol
>

> > > Should I install all of the 7.1 packages, or should the JDBC driver
> be enough?
> > >
> > > If all of them are necessary, must I recreate my database, or can I
> upgrade
> > > cleanly, without touching to my data ?
> > >
> > > Thank you for answering that quickly !!!!
> > >
> > > Antonio Fiol
> > > W3ping
> >
> > --
> > Joseph Shraibman
> > jks@selectacast.net
> > Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
RetepPDF PDF library for Java: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

Re: Re: [Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]

От
Antonio Fiol
Дата:
Peter T Mount wrote:

> Quoting Antonio Fiol <fiol@w3ping.com>:
>
> > Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> >
> > > jdbc version don't follow postgres versions, so the jdbc drivers from
> > > the 7.1 codebase should work with a 7.0 server.  Provided there
> > aren't any bugs in those jdbc drivers, of course.  Why are you using 7.0
> > when 7.0.3 is out?  I think some of the timestamp problems were fixed in
> > > 7.0.3.
>
> I can't guarantee that 7.1 will work with 7.0. 99% of it will do but some
> MetaData methods will not because they use features only present in 7.1 (ie
> inner/outer joins). What's in CVS will do, but I have those changes ready to
> commit.
>
> [Before anyone asks, these should throw an SQLException which is the correct
> way to handle this under the JDBC Spec ;-) ]
>
> In general the JDBC driver should work with at least the previous version, but
> it does try to stay inline with the current version (which is why I keep a
> binary copy of previous versions on the web site.
>
> > In fact, what I downloaded was the RedHat RPMs for 7.0.3-2.
>
> There were still Timestamp bugs in 7.0.3. Hopefully they are gone in 7.1

Is 7.1 stable enough for a production environment. In fact, I am changing from 6.5
to a newer version because 6.5 tends to break some tables (bits moved over the end
of the world, or something alike) and some indexes tend to become out of order.

Our environment has about 500 tables with 0.5K~2M tuples (about 1Gb of data, by
the moment) and data loss is critical.

> > it was
> > these have been

> > )

> > I reiterate my question: Are there RPM packages for the 7.1 driver? If
> > so, where can I find them?
>
> I'm not sure about the current 7.1beta's. However, I've not put up a 7.1 .jar
> file (all that's needed really) for the betas as things have been a bit fast of
> late. I'll put a current beta on the web site over the weekend.

Beta... I see... (previous question...)

> > Thank you all for your help! Your support is much better than that of
> > IBM DB2 or Oracle.
>
> I'm slowly discovering that our JDBC driver seems to support more JDBC than
> Oracle's does (or appears). I've been playing with Oracle8i since starting this
> job two months ago, and it's been amazing what we can do that it can't
> (Inner/Outer joins for a start) ;-)

Yes, and if you make a default install, and then create a database and try to
INSERT about 5K times then COMMIT, and you repeat this operation several times, it
crashes. Performance did not seem that better to me once this problem was solved,
etc...

I was REALLY SERIOUSLY considering to switch to a commercial product like Oracle
or DB2, but if I get good results by upgrading PostgreSQL, I will certainly keep
it. I might even try to convince my boss that a little logo of PostgreSQL on our
home page would not harm anybody...

Could you mail me with the URLs when you upload them? I will be happy to test it!!

Antonio Fiol

> Peter
>
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > Antonio Fiol

> > be enough?

> > upgrade

> > > --
> > > Joseph Shraibman
> > > jks@selectacast.net
> > > Increase signal to noise ratio.  http://www.targabot.com
> >

> --
> Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
> PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
> RetepPDF PDF library for Java: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

Re: reteptools.jar

От
Travis Bauer
Дата:
Peter T Mount (peter@retep.org.uk) wrote:

[deleted text]

> Now why put them into PostgreSQL rather than separately? Well it's because 90%
> of them were written specifically for PostgreSQL (although the core XML stuff
> in cvs already also works fine with Oracle8i), so it seemed the logical place.

[deleted text]

For what it's worth, I use postgresql's existing JDBC driver quite
a bit and have built up a set of general purpose tools I use
with it.  I've released them under the IGLU library at:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer/iglu

The relevant utilities are in the iglu.jdbc package.  The tools
illustrate some things that can be done with postgres, although
I believe they should work with any jdbc driver.

Travis Bauer | CS Grad Student | IU |www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer

Re: reteptools.jar

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Travis Bauer <trbauer@indiana.edu>:

> Peter T Mount (peter@retep.org.uk) wrote:
>
> [deleted text]
> >
> > Now why put them into PostgreSQL rather than separately? Well it's
> because 90%
> > of them were written specifically for PostgreSQL (although the core
> XML stuff
> > in cvs already also works fine with Oracle8i), so it seemed the
> logical place.
> >
> [deleted text]
>
> For what it's worth, I use postgresql's existing JDBC driver quite
> a bit and have built up a set of general purpose tools I use
> with it.  I've released them under the IGLU library at:
>
> http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer/iglu
>
> The relevant utilities are in the iglu.jdbc package.  The tools
> illustrate some things that can be done with postgres, although
> I believe they should work with any jdbc driver.

I'll take a look.

While on the subject, anyone else have tools publicly available? If so please
email me the urls and I'll put them on the resources pages on the new site.

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
RetepPDF PDF library for Java: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

Re: reteptools.jar

Дата:
> The only one of my tools that will not go in is the pdf library. One because
> it's pretty big, but mainly because It's the only one previously released and I
> put that one out on the LGPL (the rest are fresh - never been released, so
> theres no Licence problems). I'm effectively donating them to the postgresql
> community.

I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license.  You just
need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.

Re: reteptools.jar

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > The only one of my tools that will not go in is the pdf library. One because
> > it's pretty big, but mainly because It's the only one previously released and I
> > put that one out on the LGPL (the rest are fresh - never been released, so
> > theres no Licence problems). I'm effectively donating them to the postgresql
> > community.
> >

> I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license.  You just
> need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.

I don't think so.  But since Peter M. is the author of the library, he can
re-release it under any license any number of times.

Re: reteptools.jar

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 05:00:12PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license.  You just
> > need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.
>
> I don't think so.  But since Peter M. is the author of the library, he can
> re-release it under any license any number of times.

I nominate Peter E. as domain expert on license questions. [must keep
straight face... dang] ;->

That's my understanding, as well: it's Peter M.'s code, he can re-license
however he sees fit (can't remove the existing license for any particular
version, though, unless that license has a termination clause, which
neither LGPL nor BSD have)

Ross

Re: reteptools.jar

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > The only one of my tools that will not go in is the pdf library. One
> because
> > > it's pretty big, but mainly because It's the only one previously
> released and I
> > > put that one out on the LGPL (the rest are fresh - never been
> released, so
> > > theres no Licence problems). I'm effectively donating them to the
> postgresql
> > > community.
> > >

> > I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license.  You just
> > need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.
>
> I don't think so.  But since Peter M. is the author of the library, he
> can
> re-release it under any license any number of times.

Sorry for not being around (email probs and work has been horrendously busy the
last two weeks).

Anyhow, reteptools (and I've not had chance to merge the rest in yet) has never
been released before, so AFAIK it's under the same as PostgreSQL (I wouldn't
have put them in the source tree otherwise).

The only one (which isn't in there) is the pdf stuff which was released under
the LGPL.

Now as for the LGPL, say for argument sake I released something under it. I
could change it, but not any additions made by other people without their
permission. The pdf stuff falls under this snag.

Anyhow, reteptools is not GPL'ed in any form.

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
RetepPDF PDF library for Java: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

Re: reteptools.jar

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu>:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 05:00:12PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> > >
> > > I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license.  You
> just
> > > need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.
> >
> > I don't think so.  But since Peter M. is the author of the library, he
> can
> > re-release it under any license any number of times.
>
> I nominate Peter E. as domain expert on license questions. [must keep
> straight face... dang] ;->
>
> That's my understanding, as well: it's Peter M.'s code, he can
> re-license
> however he sees fit (can't remove the existing license for any
> particular
> version, though, unless that license has a termination clause, which
> neither LGPL nor BSD have)

Agree with you there entirely.

PS: Why did I release them this way, well look how quiet I've been the last two
weeks (on the list). Work got a bit too busy to do anything ;-) I didn't want
the code (and there's a lot more waiting to be merged in). Anyhow, as 90% of
them are PostgreSQL or JDBC specific this was the best place to put them.

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/
RetepPDF PDF library for Java: http://www.retep.org.uk/pdf/

Re: reteptools.jar

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > The only one of my tools that will not go in is the pdf library. One because
> > > it's pretty big, but mainly because It's the only one previously released and I
> > > put that one out on the LGPL (the rest are fresh - never been released, so
> > > theres no Licence problems). I'm effectively donating them to the postgresql
> > > community.
> > >

> > I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license.  You just
> > need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.
>
> I don't think so.  But since Peter M. is the author of the library, he can
> re-release it under any license any number of times.

I mean Peter M can re-release it.  We can't, of course.

Re: reteptools.jar

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:

> One because
> released and I
> released, so
> postgresql
> > > >

> > > I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license.  You
> just
> > > need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.
> >
> > I don't think so.  But since Peter M. is the author of the library, he
> can
> > re-release it under any license any number of times.
>
> I mean Peter M can re-release it.  We can't, of course.

true, which is why the pdf stuff isn't in reteptools.jar ;-)

Peter