Обсуждение: multiple threads using one connection

multiple threads using one connection

От
Robert Gruszka
Дата:
Hi,

I have multi-thread application written in Ada which uses APQ. All
threads use the same connection (can't afford one connection per
thread). I compiled libpq with --enable-thread-safty option.
When two threads try to execute a query at the same time one of them is
blocked and even when the other one finishes it is not unblocked.

I wrote simple test in c to find out is it APQ fault. But the result was
the same. Am I doing something wrong?

My libpq version is 8.0.4 and here's the code of this test:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include "libpq-fe.h"
#include <pthread.h>

/* for ntohl/htonl */
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>

PGconn     *conn;
 static void
exit_nicely(PGconn *conn)
{ //PQfinish(conn);
}

void *run(void *ptr)
{ char *message; PGresult   *res; message = (char *)ptr; res = PQexec(conn, "select * from foo;");
 if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_TUPLES_OK) {   fprintf(stderr, "select failed: %s\n", PQerrorMessage(conn));
PQclear(res);  exit_nicely(conn);   return; }

 PQclear(res); printf ("%s completed\n", message);

}
 int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{ const char *conninfo; pthread_t thread1, thread2; char *message1 = "Thread 1"; char *message2 = "Thread 2"; int
iret1,iret2;

   //TODO conninfo = "dbname =  user =  password = ";
 /* Make a connection to the database */ conn = PQconnectdb(conninfo);
 /* Check to see that the backend connection was successfully made */ if (PQstatus(conn) != CONNECTION_OK) {
fprintf(stderr,"Connection to database failed: %s",       PQerrorMessage(conn));   exit_nicely(conn); } else {
fprintf(stderr,"Connected.\n"); }

 PGresult   *res; res = PQexec(conn, "drop table foo;create table foo(id int);");
 if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_COMMAND_OK) {   fprintf(stderr, "create table failed: %s\n", PQerrorMessage(conn));
PQclear(res);  exit_nicely(conn);   return; }

 iret1 = pthread_create( &thread1, NULL, run, (void*) message1); iret2 = pthread_create( &thread2, NULL, run, (void*)
message2);
 pthread_join( thread1, NULL); pthread_join( thread2, NULL); /* close the connection to the database and cleanup */
PQfinish(conn);
 return 0;
}

Re: multiple threads using one connection

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Robert Gruszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have multi-thread application written in Ada which uses APQ. All
> threads use the same connection (can't afford one connection per
> thread). I compiled libpq with --enable-thread-safty option.
> When two threads try to execute a query at the same time one of them is
> blocked and even when the other one finishes it is not unblocked.

The libpq API is not really intended to be used by multiple threads
simultaneously (unless you make sure only one thread is submitting a
query and waiting for the result at any time).

The --enable-thread-safety flag is merely to ensure that the calls to
other libraries (Kerberos, etc) are handled in a thread-safe manner.  It
doesn't have any effect on the thread safety of the libpq API itself.

Re: multiple threads using one connection

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Robert Gruszka wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have multi-thread application written in Ada which uses APQ. All
> > threads use the same connection (can't afford one connection per
> > thread). I compiled libpq with --enable-thread-safty option.
> > When two threads try to execute a query at the same time one of them is
> > blocked and even when the other one finishes it is not unblocked.
>
> The libpq API is not really intended to be used by multiple threads
> simultaneously (unless you make sure only one thread is submitting a
> query and waiting for the result at any time).
>
> The --enable-thread-safety flag is merely to ensure that the calls to
> other libraries (Kerberos, etc) are handled in a thread-safe manner.  It
> doesn't have any effect on the thread safety of the libpq API itself.

Just to clarify, libpq is thread-safe is each thread uses its own
connection object.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: multiple threads using one connection

От
Philip Yarra
Дата:
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 05:17 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Just to clarify, libpq is thread-safe is each thread uses its own
> connection object.

Hope it's okay if I clarify this a little further, Bruce...

Robert, I think you *should* be able to use the same connection from multiple
threads so long as you do your own work to avoid concurrent use of the
connection. I'm sorry, I know less than nothing about Ada, but in C terms
you'd be using a mutex, acquiring it before your thread issues a statement on
the connection, reading back all data etc., then releasing the mutex. Other
threads can then acquire the mutex and use the connection. I assume Ada
provides some similar sort of concurrency control.

On a side note, the preferred way is to use a connection per thread... and
given the overhead of thread creation, ISTM the cost of a connection wouldn't
be that high... but I assume you have some good reason for doing it this way.
I suppose a connection pool might be another way you could handle this
requirement.

I say it *should* work because I know this works with ECPG, and AFAIK it uses
libpq calls, so should be similar for your language binding, but please test
it with a sample app before assuming that I know what I'm talking about. Can
someone correct me if I have this wrong? It's been a while since I had to
think about this stuff...

Regards, Philip.

Utiba Pty Ltd
dangerous content by Utiba mail server and is
believed to be clean.