Обсуждение: ecpg and the timezone database

ecpg and the timezone database

Дата:
Does ecpg need to use the same timezone database as the backend?

I just committed code so it will not, but I am not sure.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: ecpg and the timezone database

От
"Magnus Hagander"

>Does ecpg need to use the same timezone database as the backend?
>
>I just committed code so it will not, but I am not sure.

I think it should not use it, for the following reasons:

* When ecpg is used to write a program, this is a client program. I'd
expect a client program to follow the timezone rules of the client (and
other rules), and not the server. And it has to interface with any
amount of other code that is linked only against the normal timezone
libraries on the client.

* Ecpg is used to write client programs. If it used the "special pg
timezone library", every client program written using ecpg would have to
ship with the pg *timezone database* as well. I'm sure that's now what
you'd want.

But then again, I don't use ecpg myself, so others may certainly have
better arguments in either direction.

//Magnus

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg and the timezone database

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 04:48:33PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Does ecpg need to use the same timezone database as the backend?

I have to check what you changed. ecpg itself does not use the timezone
database, but some of that code is used in pgtypeslib.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg and the timezone database

Дата:
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 04:48:33PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Does ecpg need to use the same timezone database as the backend?
>
> I have to check what you changed. ecpg itself does not use the timezone
> database, but some of that code is used in pgtypeslib.

Yea, that's where I saw it used.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: [HACKERS] ecpg and the timezone database

Дата:
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 04:48:33PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Does ecpg need to use the same timezone database as the backend?
>
> I have to check what you changed. ecpg itself does not use the timezone
> database, but some of that code is used in pgtypeslib.

For changes see include/port.h:#define localtime(timep) pg_localtime(timep)#define gmtime(timep)
pg_gmtime(timep)#defineasctime(timep) pg_asctime(timep)#define ctime(timep) pg_ctime(timep)#define difftime(t1,t2)
pg_difftime(t1,t2)#definemktime(tm) pg_mktime(tm)#define tzset pg_tzset

Right now it is only Win32, but there are plans to use this for all
ports.

Pennsylvania19073