Обсуждение: Pg (Perl for Postgresql)

Pg (Perl for Postgresql)

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
Does this belong on this list?

Using Pg, it seems I get an error when trying to query a 7.3 database:

$fromconn = Pg::connectdb( "host=testhost port=5439 dbname=test-73"
);   die $fromconn->errorMessage unless ($fromconn->status eq PGRES_CONNECTION_OK);
$query = "select x, y from table1;";
$result = $fromconn->exec( $query );
$status = $result->resultStatus;
if ( $status ne PGRES_TUPLES_OK ) {  print "query failed: ";  print $status;  print "\n$query\n";  print "\n";
}

returns:
query failed: 7
select x, y from table1;

Is there a newer version of Pg that should be used that can read both 7.2
and 7.3 databases?

Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
----------------------------------
Life is an SQL old chum...

Re: Pg (Perl for Postgresql)

Дата:
Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:
> Is there a newer version of Pg that should be used that can read both 7.2
> and 7.3 databases?

I suspect this failure has nothing to do with Pg itself.  I suggest
printing out the query error message, rather than guessing about the
problem ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Pg (Perl for Postgresql)

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
Ok, I see the problem...

The column and the table are named the same:

select x, y from y;

In 7.3 it gives the error message:
ERROR:  You can't use relation names alone in the target list, try relation.*.

It works fine in 7.2

Laurette (not guessing)

--
Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
----------------------------------
Life is an SQL old chum...

Re: Pg (Perl for Postgresql)

Дата:
Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:
> The column and the table are named the same:
> select x, y from y;

> In 7.3 it gives the error message:
> ERROR:  You can't use relation names alone in the target list, try relation.*.

> It works fine in 7.2

Hm, there must be more to it than meets the eye, because that condition
alone doesn't cause a problem:

regression=# create table y (x int, y int);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# select x, y from y;x | y
---+---
(0 rows)