Обсуждение: pgaccess - client wont access testdb

pgaccess - client wont access testdb

От
Eric Webber
Дата:
Just finished an install of postres7.1.3 on redhat, compiled
in tcl access etc.

created testdb from command line as user postgres
was able to access testdb with psql command line as postgres user

pgaccess X client comes up fine but when I try to open a database
I get the error:

"Error trying to connect to database 'testdb' on host localhost

PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed

connectDBStart() - connect() failed: Connection refused
IS the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?"

Why would I get this when psql works fine ?

What am I doing wrong ?  How would I check what port it is running
on and whether is running with -i and at localhost ?

Isnt the fact psql works proof enough that pgacess should work
too in terms of connectivity ?

For username I give pgaccess the user name postgres and
no password.

regards,

Eric Sean Webber

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

Re: pgaccess - client wont access testdb

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 14:07, Eric Webber wrote:

> pgaccess X client comes up fine but when I try to open a database
> I get the error:
>
> "Error trying to connect to database 'testdb' on host localhost
>
> PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed
>
> connectDBStart() - connect() failed: Connection refused
> IS the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
> and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?"
>

> Why would I get this when psql works fine ?
>
> What am I doing wrong ?  How would I check what port it is running
> on and whether is running with -i and at localhost ?
>
> Isnt the fact psql works proof enough that pgacess should work
> too in terms of connectivity ?

Your problem is that you have retained pgaccess' default host
(localhost) in the connection dialog.  If you have anything at all in
the host field when you connect, pgaccess tries to use a TCP/IP
connection, which you have not enabled.

Blank out the host field and pgaccess will use Unix sockets.

    "Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the      LORD delivereth him out of them all."
                             Psalm 34:19

Re: pgaccess - client wont access testdb

От
"Jules Alberts"
Дата:
On 28 Jan 2002 at 9:07, Eric Webber wrote:
<snip>
> connectDBStart() - connect() failed: Connection refused
> IS the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
> and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?"
> Why would I get this when psql works fine ?
<snip>

I, Newbie, had the same problem, psql can access the database, pgaccess
can't. running postmaster with the "-i" parameter (like the message
said) fixed it for me.

--
Jules Alberts

Re: pgaccess - client wont access testdb

От
Jean-Denis
Дата:
Hi,
You can also use:tcpip_socket = true
in postgresql.conf.
I find it more convenient that modifying the start/stop script.

Le Mardi 29 Janvier 2002 03:37, vous avez écrit :
> On 28 Jan 2002 at 9:07, Eric Webber wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > connectDBStart() - connect() failed: Connection refused
> > IS the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
> > and accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432?"
> > Why would I get this when psql works fine ?
>
> <snip>
>
> I, Newbie, had the same problem, psql can access the database, pgaccess
> can't. running postmaster with the "-i" parameter (like the message
> said) fixed it for me.

--------
Jean-Denis Girard
Essential Software