Обсуждение: libpqxx update

libpqxx update

От
jtv
Дата:
I've just made some updates to libpqxx, my new C++ frontend API to postgresql.
Anybody who is interested, please get the source code off my homepage:
http://members.ams.chello.nl/j.vermeulen31/

Unpack the tarball (it will create its own directory), cd into it, enter the
Makefile to your liking, and run make.  The example programs (test*.cc) will
show how easy the library is to use.

Recent changes:
- Revamped trigger notification system.- Some SGML documentation.- Enhanced error checking.- Regression test added to
Makefile.

Tom, Bruce, perhaps this is worth incorporating into the postgresql source
tree at some point?

Jeroen

Re: libpqxx update

Дата:
jtv <jtv@xs4all.nl> writes:
> Tom, Bruce, perhaps this is worth incorporating into the postgresql source
> tree at some point?

Sure, we could talk about that.  7.2 is feature-frozen of course, but
for some future release ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: libpqxx update

От
jtv
Дата:
On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 07:08:54PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> Sure, we could talk about that.  7.2 is feature-frozen of course, but
> for some future release ...

Great.  My main concern is with compiler portability.  I don't have access
to a lot of compilers or platforms right now, and I'm sure my code will
break on various compilers depending on how much of the C++ standard they
support.

One of my design parameters was to just require the support I needed and
not bother too much with backward compilers.  I can see that could be a
problem when integrating into the source tree; I don't expect to be able
to kludge around all compiler shortfalls.  Assuming this code is
integrated, is not having libpqxx available on all platforms that
PostgreSQL runs on acceptable?  Or does it become acceptable when there
is good reason to suppose that the remaining platforms can be supported
later on as their compilers improve?

Re: libpqxx update

Дата:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 07:08:54PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Sure, we could talk about that.  7.2 is feature-frozen of course, but
> > for some future release ...
>
> Great.  My main concern is with compiler portability.  I don't have access
> to a lot of compilers or platforms right now, and I'm sure my code will
> break on various compilers depending on how much of the C++ standard they
> support.
>
> One of my design parameters was to just require the support I needed and
> not bother too much with backward compilers.  I can see that could be a
> problem when integrating into the source tree; I don't expect to be able
> to kludge around all compiler shortfalls.  Assuming this code is
> integrated, is not having libpqxx available on all platforms that
> PostgreSQL runs on acceptable?  Or does it become acceptable when there
> is good reason to suppose that the remaining platforms can be supported
> later on as their compilers improve?

We will get them tested on all our platforms as part of 7.3 development
and get it working on all of them.  Assuming you can stick around to
help us resolve problems, by the time we are done, it will be portable.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: libpqxx update

От
jtv
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:21:43AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We will get them tested on all our platforms as part of 7.3 development
> and get it working on all of them.  Assuming you can stick around to
> help us resolve problems, by the time we are done, it will be portable.  :-)

Hope you're right of course.  :-)  OTOH I have no idea how far along most the
various C++ on the various platforms are w.r.t. the Standard.  It can be
very hard (if not downright impossible) to fix problems in that area.

Re: libpqxx update

jtv wrote:
> I've just made some updates to libpqxx, my new C++ frontend API to postgresql.
> Anybody who is interested, please get the source code off my homepage:
>
>     http://members.ams.chello.nl/j.vermeulen31/
>
> Unpack the tarball (it will create its own directory), cd into it, enter the
> Makefile to your liking, and run make.  The example programs (test*.cc) will
> show how easy the library is to use.
>
> Recent changes:
>
>  - Revamped trigger notification system.
>  - Some SGML documentation.
>  - Enhanced error checking.
>  - Regression test added to Makefile.
>
> Tom, Bruce, perhaps this is worth incorporating into the postgresql source
> tree at some point?

Yes, let us know when you would like to move it over. We have always
wanted a better C++ interface.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: libpqxx update

От
jtv
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:08:32PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, let us know when you would like to move it over. We have always
> wanted a better C++ interface.

There are two more things I'd like to do before inclusion:

1. Write exhaustive unit tests, so _all_ methods are exercised.
2. Port the Little Brother network monitoring tool to libpqxx.

I don't think those will be all that much work, so perhaps we can do both
efforts in parallel, starting right now?

Jeroen

Re: libpqxx update

От
jtv
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 05:52:14PM +0100, jtv wrote:

> There are two more things I'd like to do before inclusion:
>
> 1. Write exhaustive unit tests, so _all_ methods are exercised.

I've begun this job, achieving full test coverage for the Connection and
Trigger classes and documenting coverage for Cursor.  The Result class
is going to be the big one.

Improved test coverage has revealed no bugs so far, but I do expect to
sleep a little better tonight.

Jeroen
--
http://members.ams.chello.nl/j.vermeulen31/

Re: libpqxx update

От
jtv
Дата:
On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 02:43:04AM +0100, jtv wrote:

> Improved test coverage has revealed no bugs so far, but I do expect to
> sleep a little better tonight.

Test coverage has been extended further--and has now revealed a fairly
serious bug in implicit abort I introduced during recent maintenance.
Latest version (without the bug, naturally) has been uploaded to my home
page:
http://members.ams.chello.nl/j.vermeulen31/proj-libpqxx.html

Jeroen