Обсуждение: terminal psql: wrong console keystrokes

terminal psql: wrong console keystrokes

От
Nico
Дата:
Through Konsole, the Up, Down, Left, Right keys work properly, but through
psql the keystrokes seem to be wrong:
instead of up (for scrolling in the internel buffer) it appears  ^[[A
Down  ^[[B
Right ^[[C
Left  ^[[D
Back_del  (ok)
Forward_del ^[[3~

It happened when I upgraded Mandrake from 7.1 to 7.2 (Linux 2.2.17-21mdksmp
i686), postgresql 7.0.2 from Mandrake RPM.
Where should I look at?  I tried the following keyboard settings:
Linux console, xterm, vt100, vt420pc
but no-one works properly.

thanks!

Re: terminal psql: wrong console keystrokes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> It happened when I upgraded Mandrake from 7.1 to 7.2 (Linux 2.2.17-21mdksmp
> i686), postgresql 7.0.2 from Mandrake RPM.
> Where should I look at?

Get the 7.0.2 RPMs for Mandrake from ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binaries/.
The ones shipped with Mandrake were slightly broken, in that readline
was apparently not detected and used during the build. This leads to
exactly the symptoms you describe.

The Mandrake folks have already discovered and fixed this problem in
their builds, so the next ones from their distro should be OK.
                  - Thomas

Re: [GENERAL] terminal psql: wrong console keystrokes

От
Nico
Дата:
Nope. :(
I'm using Xfree 4.0.1, and I tried to change it into Xfree 3.3.6.
Under both servers I'm having troubles with keystrokes.
Please note that with the konsole the keys are correctly interpreted,
e.g. if I push Up, konsole bash recalls previous commands.
Moreover, the interactive terminal VIM interpretes correctly the keystrokes.

Under psql things are so strange.
I don't understand if it's psql that its misinterpreting keystrokes (a wrong
internal setting, which?), or it's something else?

instead of Up (for scrolling in the internel buffer) it appears  ^[[A
Down  ^[[B
Right ^[[C
Left  ^[[D
Back_del  (ok)
Forward_del ^[[3~
Tab  (moves the cursor but does not complete the sql command)
Esc ^[

What internal settings make the psql interpete the keystrokes, and how to
toggle them?

(Mandrake 7.2, AMD Athlon, postgres ver.7.0.2)

On 20 febbraio 2001, Alessio Bragadini wrote:
> Nico wrote:
> > Through Konsole, the Up, Down, Left, Right keys work properly, but
> > through psql the keystrokes seem to be wrong:
> > Linux console, xterm, vt100, vt420pc
>
> I've noticed differences between
> Setting->Keyboard->xterm (XFree 3) and
> Setting->Keyboard->xterm (XFree 4)
>
> Does it work?

Re: [GENERAL] terminal psql: wrong console keystrokes

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Nico wrote:

> What internal settings make the psql interpete the keystrokes, and how to
> toggle them?

You need the GNU readline library installed on the machine where you have
Postgres installed.  If you built PostgreSQL without the readline library
(and readline-devel, if you are using RPMs), you may need to rebuild it.
If you installed PostgreSQL as RPMs, you may just need to install the
readline rpm.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
To thine own self be true.  (If not that, at least make some money.)

Re: terminal psql: wrong console keystrokes - OK

От
Nico
Дата:
Il 05:25, marted� 20 febbraio 2001, Thomas Lockhart ha scritto:
> > It happened when I upgraded Mandrake from 7.1 to 7.2 (Linux
> > 2.2.17-21mdksmp i686), postgresql 7.0.2 from Mandrake RPM.
> > Where should I look at?
>
> Get the 7.0.2 RPMs for Mandrake from ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binaries/.
> The ones shipped with Mandrake were slightly broken, in that readline
> was apparently not detected and used during the build. This leads to
> exactly the symptoms you describe.
>
> The Mandrake folks have already discovered and fixed this problem in
> their builds, so the next ones from their distro should be OK.
>
>                    - Thomas

Yes,  I definitively have to upgrade the postgres RPM
version. So, the case is closed. Thank you! :)

regards, nico