Обсуждение: Postgresql and JDBC

Postgresql and JDBC

От
Wayne Johnson
Дата:
I've got some questions on using POSTGRESQL with JDBC.  Some folks on the
Novice mailing list suggested I use the interfaces mailing list, but the
web site suggests that I should use another.  Which mailing list is
appropriate.

I would like to do a read & update of a single record.  I've seen several
examples of using JDBC to update an entire table, but I'm only looking to
modify a single record.

Is this a case where I should use getCursorName?  How do I then do an
UPDATE to only modify that single record?  Is this multi user safe?  I've
tried the JDBC 2.0 updateXXX functions, but they are apparently not
implemented for Postgresql yet.

Are there any good (in depth) examples of JDBC out there?  The only ones
I've seen are limited to a simple SELECT or UPDATE.

Thanks.

BTW, my complements to the POSTGRESQL developers on a nice product.

=====
Wayne Johnson,             | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003             | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: Postgresql and JDBC

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Wayne Johnson <wdtj@yahoo.com>:

> I've got some questions on using POSTGRESQL with JDBC.  Some folks on
> the
> Novice mailing list suggested I use the interfaces mailing list, but
> the
> web site suggests that I should use another.  Which mailing list is
> appropriate.

pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org - its a new list created due to the ammount of
traffic.

I've got to update the jdbc pages this week.

> I would like to do a read & update of a single record.  I've seen
> several
> examples of using JDBC to update an entire table, but I'm only looking
> modify a single record.

Standard SQL, ie UPDATE table SET col=value WHERE keycol=keyvalue;

Then use executeUpdate() from within Statement.

The basic example in the source included this.

> Is this a case where I should use getCursorName?  How do I then do an
> UPDATE to only modify that single record?  Is this multi user safe?

No, cursors are mainly used to manage large result sets.

> I've
> tried the JDBC 2.0 updateXXX functions, but they are apparently not
> implemented for Postgresql yet.

No. UpdateableResultSet is not yet available (partly done), and you can't
guarantee it working on all ResultSet's anyhow (see the JDBC2.0 specs).

> Are there any good (in depth) examples of JDBC out there?  The only
> ones
> I've seen are limited to a simple SELECT or UPDATE.

The source has some (src/interfaces/jdbc/example)

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/

Re: [JDBC] Re: Postgresql and JDBC

Дата:
> Quoting Wayne Johnson <wdtj@yahoo.com>:
>
> > I've got some questions on using POSTGRESQL with JDBC.  Some folks on
> > the
> > Novice mailing list suggested I use the interfaces mailing list, but
> > the
> > web site suggests that I should use another.  Which mailing list is
> > appropriate.
>
> pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org - its a new list created due to the ammount of
> traffic.
>
> I've got to update the jdbc pages this week.

PostgreSQL.org web site is already update.

Re: [JDBC] Re: Postgresql and JDBC

От
Peter Mount
Дата:
At 11:51 30/01/01 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>[ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> > Quoting Wayne Johnson <wdtj@yahoo.com>:
> >
> > > I've got some questions on using POSTGRESQL with JDBC.  Some folks on
> > > the
> > > Novice mailing list suggested I use the interfaces mailing list, but
> > > the
> > > web site suggests that I should use another.  Which mailing list is
> > > appropriate.
> >
> > pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org - its a new list created due to the ammount of
> > traffic.
> >
> > I've got to update the jdbc pages this week.
>

>PostgreSQL.org web site is already update.

Yes, but jdbc.postgresql.org isn't ;-)