Обсуждение: Loading JDBC - driver

"Sergei Chernev"
Дата:
Hello,

I wonder, if there is a way to load JDBC- driver from network.
I know the method to connect using  jdbc6.4.jar on local disk
and editing CLASSPATH, but it seems to me inconvenient to
ask user to download driver and edit environment.

Does it possible to use construction like that:
Class.forName("http://somewhere.com/postgresql.Driver/jdbc6.4.jar/postgresql
.Driver").newInstance(); ?
Excuse me if it is FAQ, but I didn't find anything of the kind in mailing
list.

Thank you,
---------------------------
Sergei Chernev
Internet: ser@nsu.ru
Phone: +7-3832-397354

Re: [INTERFACES] Loading JDBC - driver

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Sergei Chernev wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder, if there is a way to load JDBC- driver from network.
> I know the method to connect using  jdbc6.4.jar on local disk
> and editing CLASSPATH, but it seems to me inconvenient to
> ask user to download driver and edit environment.
>
> Does it possible to use construction like that:
> Class.forName("http://somewhere.com/postgresql.Driver/jdbc6.4.jar/postgresql
> .Driver").newInstance(); ?
> Excuse me if it is FAQ, but I didn't find anything of the kind in mailing
> list.

That's ok. What you need is a custom class loader, that fetches the jar
file from a url, then extracts the classes from it.

This is how browsers do it, but as to how you would write a class loader
is another question (one of those things I havent got round to trying yet)
;-)

Peter

--
Peter Mount, IT Section