Обсуждение: Parallel query

Parallel query

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Robert,
(and others who are involved in parallel query of PostgreSQL)

PostgreSQL Enterprise Consortium (one of the PostgreSQL communities in
Japan, in short "PGECons") is planning to test the parallel query
performance of PostgreSQL 9.6. Besides TPC-H (I know you have already
tested on an IBM box), what kind of tests would you like be performed?

We are planning to use a big intel box (like more than 60 cores).
Any suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Parallel query

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
Thank you for the suggesion.  Currently no particular test cases are
in my mind. That's the reason why I need input from
community. Regarding the test schedule, PGECons starts the planning
from next month or so. So I guess test starts no earlier than July.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

> What kind of cases do you want to run? beside the multi-cores, i think the
> working mem and its access rate are also a main criteria. As you known the
> parallel query uses DSM as IPC tools, which means it will meet the memory
> access barrier.,the memory bus has its access rate limitation. the
> different system architecture, such as different CPU architect, etc,will
> also be considered when we do the performace test. Do we need to consider
> what i mentioned above?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Hao LEE.
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
>> Robert,
>> (and others who are involved in parallel query of PostgreSQL)
>>
>> PostgreSQL Enterprise Consortium (one of the PostgreSQL communities in
>> Japan, in short "PGECons") is planning to test the parallel query
>> performance of PostgreSQL 9.6. Besides TPC-H (I know you have already
>> tested on an IBM box), what kind of tests would you like be performed?
>>
>> We are planning to use a big intel box (like more than 60 cores).
>> Any suggestions are welcome.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> --
>> Tatsuo Ishii
>> SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
>> Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp
>>

>> --

Re: Parallel query

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
What's MPI?

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

> Maybe we can refere to the MPI test cases.
>
> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Hao Lee <mixtrue@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What kind of cases do you want to run? beside the multi-cores, i think the
>> working mem and its access rate are also a main criteria. As you known the
>> parallel query uses DSM as IPC tools, which means it will meet the memory
>> access barrier.,the memory bus has its access rate limitation. the
>> different system architecture, such as different CPU architect, etc,will
>> also be considered when we do the performace test. Do we need to consider
>> what i mentioned above?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Hao LEE.
>>
>> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Robert,
>>> (and others who are involved in parallel query of PostgreSQL)
>>>
>>> PostgreSQL Enterprise Consortium (one of the PostgreSQL communities in
>>> Japan, in short "PGECons") is planning to test the parallel query
>>> performance of PostgreSQL 9.6. Besides TPC-H (I know you have already
>>> tested on an IBM box), what kind of tests would you like be performed?
>>>
>>> We are planning to use a big intel box (like more than 60 cores).
>>> Any suggestions are welcome.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> --
>>> Tatsuo Ishii
>>> SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
>>> English: http://www.sraoss.co.jp/index_en.php
>>> Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp
>>>

>>> --

Re: Parallel query

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> The brief introudce of MPI(Message Passing Interface) as following URL,
> which is a message protocol used for parallel computinng, just like DSM
> does in parallel query. The DSM play a message passing role(in fact, it's.
> by passing the query plan/raw node tree to anthor worker) in parallel
> query.  I think the parallel query resemble the MPI. so I mentioned that we
> can refere to the MPI bechmark, and use the idea which is used to test the
> parallel computing system.If the parallel query to be feature in future, I
> think we must have an other bechmark for this feature, just like tpcc does.
> So, I mention the MPI.
>
> https://www.open-mpi.org/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Passing_Interface

Thank you for the info.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
Japanese:http://www.sraoss.co.jp

Re: Parallel query

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> The brief introudce of MPI(Message Passing Interface) as following URL,
>> which is a message protocol used for parallel computinng, just like DSM
>> does in parallel query. The DSM play a message passing role(in fact, it's.
>> by passing the query plan/raw node tree to anthor worker) in parallel
>> query.  I think the parallel query resemble the MPI. so I mentioned that we
>> can refere to the MPI bechmark, and use the idea which is used to test the
>> parallel computing system.If the parallel query to be feature in future, I
>> think we must have an other bechmark for this feature, just like tpcc does.
>> So, I mention the MPI.
>>
>> https://www.open-mpi.org/
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Passing_Interface
>
> Thank you for the info.

Ishii-san is doing so... Please be sure to press "reply-all" when
answering to an email in the community mailing lists. It is hard to
follow this discussion.
--
Michael