Обсуждение: Lower msvc build verbosity level

Lower msvc build verbosity level

От
Christian Ullrich
Дата:
Hello,

could we perhaps lower the verbosity level of the msvc build (in
src/tools/msvc/build.pl) from "detailed" to "normal"? In my experiment,
this reduces the size of the build log by 96.4 percent (from 12.5 MiB to
438 KiB), or if the log is not redirected, it shortens the build time by
45 percent, from just under 6 minutes to 3.

The lines that would not be logged anymore are mostly "Task [or Target]
so-and-so skipped, due to false condition". All the compiler, linker,
etc. command lines are still there.

Also, with the "detailed" logs, loading the buildfarm status page for a
failure in the Make stage is really painful.

--
Christian

Re: Lower msvc build verbosity level

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 04/08/2016 06:19 AM, Christian Ullrich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> could we perhaps lower the verbosity level of the msvc build (in
> src/tools/msvc/build.pl) from "detailed" to "normal"? In my
> experiment, this reduces the size of the build log by 96.4 percent
> (from 12.5 MiB to 438 KiB), or if the log is not redirected, it
> shortens the build time by 45 percent, from just under 6 minutes to 3.
>
> The lines that would not be logged anymore are mostly "Task [or
> Target] so-and-so skipped, due to false condition". All the compiler,
> linker, etc. command lines are still there.
>
> Also, with the "detailed" logs, loading the buildfarm status page for
> a failure in the Make stage is really painful.

Yes! I was just wondering yesterday how to do this. If nobody objects
I'm going to apply and backpatch this quite soon. This will also have
beneficial effects on the buildfarm server.

cheers

andrew

Re: Lower msvc build verbosity level

От
Magnus Hagander

could we perhaps lower the verbosity level of the msvc build (in src/tools/msvc/build.pl) from "detailed" to "normal"? In my experiment, this reduces the size of the build log by 96.4 percent (from 12.5 MiB to 438 KiB), or if the log is not redirected, it shortens the build time by 45 percent, from just under 6 minutes to 3.

The lines that would not be logged anymore are mostly "Task [or Target] so-and-so skipped, due to false condition". All the compiler, linker, etc. command lines are still there.

Also, with the "detailed" logs, loading the buildfarm status page for a failure in the Make stage is really painful.

Yes! I was just wondering yesterday how to do this. If nobody objects I'm going to apply and backpatch this quite soon. This will also have beneficial effects on the buildfarm server.

+1 for doing that. It seems easy enough to manually turn it on if it turns out to be necessary to debug some specific issue in the future.

--

Re: Lower msvc build verbosity level

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> On 04/08/2016 06:19 AM, Christian Ullrich wrote:
>>> could we perhaps lower the verbosity level of the msvc build (in
>>> src/tools/msvc/build.pl) from "detailed" to "normal"? In my experiment, this
>>> reduces the size of the build log by 96.4 percent (from 12.5 MiB to 438
>>> KiB), or if the log is not redirected, it shortens the build time by 45
>>> percent, from just under 6 minutes to 3.
>>>
>>> The lines that would not be logged anymore are mostly "Task [or Target]
>>> so-and-so skipped, due to false condition". All the compiler, linker, etc.
>>> command lines are still there.
>>>
>>> Also, with the "detailed" logs, loading the buildfarm status page for a
>>> failure in the Make stage is really painful.
>>>

>> Yes! I was just wondering yesterday how to do this. If nobody objects I'm
>> going to apply and backpatch this quite soon. This will also have beneficial
>> effects on the buildfarm server.
>
> +1 for doing that. It seems easy enough to manually turn it on if it turns
> out to be necessary to debug some specific issue in the future.

Please, yes. The current output is too verbose.
--
Michael

Re: Lower msvc build verbosity level

Дата:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> could we perhaps lower the verbosity level of the msvc build (in
>>> src/tools/msvc/build.pl) from "detailed" to "normal"?

>> +1 for doing that. It seems easy enough to manually turn it on if it turns
>> out to be necessary to debug some specific issue in the future.

> Please, yes. The current output is too verbose.

+several.  Grepping for compiler warnings, for example, is really painful
right now on any MSVC critter.  I've resorted to grepping for "warning C",
which skips the noise messages, but I'm never sure if I'm missing
something.

(If anyone knows how to shut up clang's useless "N warnings generated"
messages, on longfin for example, I'd be for changing that too.)
        regards, tom lane

* Tom Lane wrote:

> +several.  Grepping for compiler warnings, for example, is really painful
> right now on any MSVC critter.  I've resorted to grepping for "warning C",
> which skips the noise messages, but I'm never sure if I'm missing
> something.

You miss all diagnostics from other tools than the compiler, for one thing.

There is a simple solution to that, however. MSBuild and VCBuild repeat
all warnings and errors produced during the build at the bottom of the
log. I just checked on mastodon (VS 2005, the oldest), and it does that
already.

This depends on the whole build being done using a single solution file
that contains all the individual projects, but there is no reason to
assume we will start building individual projects instead, I assume.

--

On 04/08/2016 12:24 PM, Christian Ullrich wrote:
> * Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> +several.  Grepping for compiler warnings, for example, is really
>> painful
>> right now on any MSVC critter.  I've resorted to grepping for
>> "warning C",
>> which skips the noise messages, but I'm never sure if I'm missing
>> something.
>
> You miss all diagnostics from other tools than the compiler, for one
> thing.
>
> There is a simple solution to that, however. MSBuild and VCBuild
> repeat all warnings and errors produced during the build at the bottom
> of the log. I just checked on mastodon (VS 2005, the oldest), and it
> does that already.
>
> This depends on the whole build being done using a single solution
> file that contains all the individual projects, but there is no reason
> to assume we will start building individual projects instead, I assume.

Yeah, what is more on the whole this is going to be far more beneficial,
because stuff just gets lost badly in the noise. I have committed the
change.

cheers

andrew

Re: Lower msvc build verbosity level

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> On 04/08/2016 12:24 PM, Christian Ullrich wrote:
>>
>> * Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> +several.  Grepping for compiler warnings, for example, is really painful
>>> right now on any MSVC critter.  I've resorted to grepping for "warning
>>> C",
>>> which skips the noise messages, but I'm never sure if I'm missing
>>> something.
>>

>> You miss all diagnostics from other tools than the compiler, for one
>> thing.
>>
>> There is a simple solution to that, however. MSBuild and VCBuild repeat
>> all warnings and errors produced during the build at the bottom of the log.
>> I just checked on mastodon (VS 2005, the oldest), and it does that already.
>>
>> This depends on the whole build being done using a single solution file
>> that contains all the individual projects, but there is no reason to assume
>> we will start building individual projects instead, I assume.
>>

> Yeah, what is more on the whole this is going to be far more beneficial,
> because stuff just gets lost badly in the noise. I have committed the
> change.

Thanks a lot! This is making my day, and I suspect many others are to come.
--
Michael