Обсуждение: PATCH: track last known XLOG segment in control file

PATCH: track last known XLOG segment in control file

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
Hi,

this is the second improvement proposed in the thread [1] about ext4
data loss issue. It adds another field to control file, tracking the
last known WAL segment. This does not eliminate the data loss, just the
silent part of it when the last segment gets lost (due to forgetting the
rename, deleting it by mistake or whatever). The patch makes sure the
cluster refuses to start if that happens.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56583BDD.9060302@2ndquadrant.com

It's a fairly simple patch, but obviously it touches very complex part
of the code. I'll add it to 2016-01 CF.

regards

Re: PATCH: track last known XLOG segment in control file

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2015-12-12 22:14:13 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> this is the second improvement proposed in the thread [1] about ext4 data
> loss issue. It adds another field to control file, tracking the last known
> WAL segment. This does not eliminate the data loss, just the silent part of
> it when the last segment gets lost (due to forgetting the rename, deleting
> it by mistake or whatever). The patch makes sure the cluster refuses to
> start if that happens.

Uh, that's fairly expensive. In many cases it'll significantly increase
the number of fsyncs. I've a bit of a hard time believing this'll be
worthwhile. Additionally this doesn't seem to take WAL replay into
account?

Andres

On 12/12/2015 11:20 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2015-12-12 22:14:13 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> this is the second improvement proposed in the thread [1] about ext4 data
>> loss issue. It adds another field to control file, tracking the last known
>> WAL segment. This does not eliminate the data loss, just the silent part of
>> it when the last segment gets lost (due to forgetting the rename, deleting
>> it by mistake or whatever). The patch makes sure the cluster refuses to
>> start if that happens.
>
> Uh, that's fairly expensive. In many cases it'll significantly
> increase the number of fsyncs.

It should do exactly 1 additional fsync per WAL segment. Or do you think
otherwise?
> I've a bit of a hard time believing this'll be worthwhile.

The trouble is protections like this only seem worthwhile after the
fact, when something happens. I think it's reasonable protection against
issues similar to the one I reported ~2 weeks ago. YMMV.
> Additionally this doesn't seem to take WAL replay into account?

I think the comparison in StartupXLOG needs to be less strict, to allow
cases when we actually replay more WAL segments. Is that what you mean?

regards

Re: PATCH: track last known XLOG segment in control file

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2015-12-12 23:28:33 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 12/12/2015 11:20 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >On 2015-12-12 22:14:13 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> >>this is the second improvement proposed in the thread [1] about ext4 data
> >>loss issue. It adds another field to control file, tracking the last known
> >>WAL segment. This does not eliminate the data loss, just the silent part of
> >>it when the last segment gets lost (due to forgetting the rename, deleting
> >>it by mistake or whatever). The patch makes sure the cluster refuses to
> >>start if that happens.
> >
> >Uh, that's fairly expensive. In many cases it'll significantly
> >increase the number of fsyncs.
>
> It should do exactly 1 additional fsync per WAL segment. Or do you think
> otherwise?

Which is nearly doubling the number of fsyncs, for a good number of
workloads. And it does so to a separate file, i.e. it's not like these
writes and the flushes can be combined. In workloads where pg_xlog is on
a separate partition it'll add the only source of fsyncs besides
checkpoint to the main data directory.

> > I've a bit of a hard time believing this'll be worthwhile.
>
> The trouble is protections like this only seem worthwhile after the fact,
> when something happens. I think it's reasonable protection against issues
> similar to the one I reported ~2 weeks ago. YMMV.

Meh. That argument can be used to justify about everything.

Obviously we should be more careful about fsyncing files, including the
directories. I do plan come back to your recent patch.

> > Additionally this doesn't seem to take WAL replay into account?
>
> I think the comparison in StartupXLOG needs to be less strict, to allow
> cases when we actually replay more WAL segments. Is that what you mean?

What I mean is that the value isn't updated during recovery, afaics. You
could argue that minRecoveryPoint is that, in a way.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

On 12/12/2015 11:39 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-12-12 23:28:33 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>>
>>> Uh, that's fairly expensive. In many cases it'll significantly
>>> increase the number of fsyncs.
>>
>> It should do exactly 1 additional fsync per WAL segment. Or do you think
>> otherwise?
>
> Which is nearly doubling the number of fsyncs, for a good number of
> workloads. And it does so to a separate file, i.e. it's not like
> these writes and the flushes can be combined. In workloads where
> pg_xlog is on a separate partition it'll add the only source of
> fsyncs besides checkpoint to the main data directory.

I doubt it will make any difference in practice, at least on reasonable
hardware (which you should have, if fsync performance matters to you).

But some performance testing will be necessary, I don't expect this to
go in without that. It'd be helpful if you could describe the workload.

>>> I've a bit of a hard time believing this'll be worthwhile.
>>
>> The trouble is protections like this only seem worthwhile after the fact,
>> when something happens. I think it's reasonable protection against issues
>> similar to the one I reported ~2 weeks ago. YMMV.
>
> Meh. That argument can be used to justify about everything.
>
> Obviously we should be more careful about fsyncing files, including
> the directories. I do plan come back to your recent patch.

My argument is that this is a reasonable protection against failures in
that area - both our faults (in understanding the durability guarantees
on a particular file system), or file system developer.

Maybe it's not, because the chance of running into exactly the same
issue in this part of code is negligible.

>>> Additionally this doesn't seem to take WAL replay into account?
>>
>> I think the comparison in StartupXLOG needs to be less strict, to allow
>> cases when we actually replay more WAL segments. Is that what you mean?
>
> What I mean is that the value isn't updated during recovery, afaics.
> You could argue that minRecoveryPoint is that, in a way.

Oh, right. Will fix if we conclude that the general idea makes sense.

regards

Re: PATCH: track last known XLOG segment in control file

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
[...]

I also think so.

I doubt it will make any difference in practice, at least on reasonable hardware (which you should have, if fsync performance matters to you).

But some performance testing will be necessary, I don't expect this to go in without that. It'd be helpful if you could describe the workload.

I think to start with you can try to test pgbench read-write workload
when the data fits in shared_buffers.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: PATCH: track last known XLOG segment in control file

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
This hasn't been updated in a long time; I should have closed it
earlier.  Chatting with Tomas about it, he seemed inclined to just have
the patch rejected because it's not terribly useful anyway.

I'm marking it as rejected.  Unless someone has a compelling use case
for this feature that hasn't been put forward, I think we're done here.

Re: PATCH: track last known XLOG segment in control file

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
Hi,

On 01/31/2016 01:25 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> This hasn't been updated in a long time; I should have closed it
> earlier.  Chatting with Tomas about it, he seemed inclined to just have
> the patch rejected because it's not terribly useful anyway.

we've discussed that some time ago and my memory is a bit flaky, but I
don't think that's quite what I said. The main reason why I haven't
posted an updated version of the patch is that it seems a bit silly to
spend time on this while the underlying data loss issue is still not
fixed (it got to "ready for committer" since then).

> I'm marking it as rejected. Unless someone has a compelling use case
> for this feature that hasn't been put forward, I think we're done
> here.

I'm a bit torn - I think the protection might be useful, but there are a
few issues with this approach:
 1) Getting the "can't start, WAL segments lost" message after a crash    is a bit late. It protects against silent
dataloss, it only makes    it "not silent" so it's not "fixed". But maybe it's worth it.

 2) It protects against a fairly narrow class of failures when we lose    the last WAL segment for some reason.
Hopefullyonce we add the    additional fsyncs that particular failure scenario will get fixed,    but the question is
whetherwe're in danger of reintroducing it    (or a similar issue) later.

I guess we could mark it as "rejected" but that's likely to eliminate
any further feedback / discussion about the protection in general.

regards