Обсуждение: Cross-check recent documentation changes

Cross-check recent documentation changes

От
Robins
Дата:
Hi,

Was reviewing recent commits, and it seems the following commit adds an extra line to some comments. Just wanted to cross-check if that was intentional.

Apologies for the noise, if this was intentional.
--
Robins Tharakan

Re: Cross-check recent documentation changes

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Robins <robins@pobox.com> wrote:
> Was reviewing recent commits, and it seems the following commit adds an
> extra line to some comments. Just wanted to cross-check if that was
> intentional.

I don't see that it changed any comments at all?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Cross-check recent documentation changes

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On 2015/10/29 17:10, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:40 AM, Robins <robins@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Was reviewing recent commits, and it seems the following commit adds an
>> extra line to some comments. Just wanted to cross-check if that was
>> intentional.
>
> I don't see that it changed any comments at all?

I think he means error messages, for example, why errmsg is replaced by
errmsg_plural in the concerned source code line (the following change)

-                errmsg("database with OID %u must be vacuumed before %d
more multixact members are used",
+                errmsg_plural("database with OID %u must be vacuumed
before %d more multixact member is used",
+                              "database with OID %u must be vacuumed
before %d more multixact members are used",
+                       MultiXactState->offsetStopLimit - nextOffset +
nmembers,

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Cross-check recent documentation changes

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
Robins,

On 2015/10/29 10:40, Robins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Was reviewing recent commits, and it seems the following commit adds an
> extra line to some comments. Just wanted to cross-check if that was
> intentional.
>
> Commit: http://goo.gl/zxA00l
> Pre-Commit: http://goo.gl/2DpLxi
> Post-Commit: http://goo.gl/eKcNm3

You can see a minor change in the "extra line" - member vs. members in the
first and second version, respectively, of essentially the same message.
errmsg_plural() function determines whether to output the singular version
or the plural based on numeric value of the first variadic argument passed
to it. For example, if "%d" in the formatted output turns out be 1, "... 1
multixact members ..." in the output message sounds awkward. So does "...
10 multixact member". Hence the committed change.

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Cross-check recent documentation changes

От
Robins

errmsg_plural() function determines whether to output the singular version
or the plural

​Duh. Thanks Amit!
Should have noticed the function-name change.​

--
Robins Tharakan