Обсуждение: [PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp

[PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp

От
dinesh kumar
Дата:
Hi All,

Greetings for the day.

Would like to know your inputs/suggestions on below proposal. Kindly let me know, if it's already taken care.

Proposal

Forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp, for each "INFO" entry. This was raised already in this thread, and wanted to discuss it again. I didn't see any replies on this old thread.

Justification

As we are recording the timestamp too, it gives an idea about how much time it took for each VACUUM activity.

Regards,
Dinesh

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2015-09-03 21:45:52 +0530, dinesh kumar wrote:
> Forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp, for each "INFO" entry. This was
> raised already in this
> <http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20031110162349.65542.qmail@web21408.mail.yahoo.com>
> thread, and wanted to discuss it again. I didn't see any replies on this
> old thread.

Unconvinced - sounds like you're just re-inventing log_line_prefix.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp

От
dinesh kumar
Дата:
Hi,

On 2015-09-03 21:45:52 +0530, dinesh kumar wrote:
> Forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp, for each "INFO" entry. This was
> raised already in this
> <http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20031110162349.65542.qmail@web21408.mail.yahoo.com>
> thread, and wanted to discuss it again. I didn't see any replies on this
> old thread.

Unconvinced - sounds like you're just re-inventing log_line_prefix.

Thanks for your inputs.

I thought, it will be helpful without modifying the log_min_messages parameter. Otherwise, we have to run the vacuum verbose, by modifying the log_min_messages at session level, which will be recorded in pg_log.

If we allow VERBOSE to log timestamp, we can have it in stdout, which can be diverted to a required log file. This will be useful for the vacuumdb binary too.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Dinesh

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
Hi,

On 2015-09-03 21:45:52 +0530, dinesh kumar wrote:
> Forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp, for each "INFO" entry. This was
> raised already in this
> <http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20031110162349.65542.qmail@web21408.mail.yahoo.com>
> thread, and wanted to discuss it again. I didn't see any replies on this
> old thread.

Unconvinced - sounds like you're just re-inventing log_line_prefix.

Many times I've wanted a client_log_line_prefix.  If someone wants to invent that, I'd second it.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inputs on forcing VACUUM VERBOSE to write timestamp

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 9/3/15 1:50 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>     Unconvinced - sounds like you're just re-inventing log_line_prefix.
>

> Many times I've wanted a client_log_line_prefix.  If someone wants to
> invent that, I'd second it.

It would be pretty awkward to have to turn that on and off to run a
manual vacuum, unless there was a LOGTIME option added to vacuum as well.