Обсуждение: make check For Extensions

make check For Extensions

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
Hackers,

Andres said during the unconference last month that there was a way to get `make check` to work with PGXS. The idea is
thatit would initialize a temporary cluster, start it on an open port, install an extension, and run the extension's
testsuite. I think the pg_regress --temp-install, maybe? I poked through the PGXS makefiles, and although it looks like
there*might* be something like this for in-core contrib extensions, but not for externally-distributed extensions.

Is there something I could add to my extension Makefiles so that `make check` or `make test` will do a pre-install test
ona temporary cluster?

Thanks,

David

Re: make check For Extensions

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
> Andres said during the unconference last month that there was a way to
> get `make check` to work with PGXS. The idea is that it would initialize
> a temporary cluster, start it on an open port, install an extension, and
> run the extension's test suite. I think the pg_regress --temp-install,
> maybe? I poked through the PGXS makefiles, and although it looks like
> there *might* be something like this for in-core contrib extensions, but
> not for externally-distributed extensions.
>
> Is there something I could add to my extension Makefiles so that `make
> check` or `make test` will do a pre-install test on a temporary cluster?

My 0.02€: It is expected to work, more or less, see the end of

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/extend-pgxs.html

It invokes "psql" which is expected to work directly. Note that there is
no temporary installation, it is tested against the installed and running
postgres. Maybe having the ability to create a temporary installation, as
you suggest, would be a nice extension.

--
Fabien.

Re: make check For Extensions

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Jun 12, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

> My 0.02€: It is expected to work, more or less, see the end of
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/extend-pgxs.html

That says:

“The scripts listed in the REGRESS variable are used for regression testing of your module, which can be invoked by
makeinstallcheck after doing make install. For this to work you must have a running PostgreSQL server.”

That does not mean that it starts a new cluster on a port. It means it will test it against an existing cluster after
youhave installed into that cluster.

> It invokes "psql" which is expected to work directly. Note that there is no temporary installation, it is tested
againstthe installed and running postgres. Maybe having the ability to create a temporary installation, as you suggest,
wouldbe a nice extension.

Yes, that’s what I would like, so I could test *before* installing.

Best,

David

Re: make check For Extensions

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
> That does not mean that it starts a new cluster on a port. It means it
> will test it against an existing cluster after you have installed into
> that cluster.

Yes, that is what I was saying.

>> It invokes "psql" which is expected to work directly. Note that there
>> is no temporary installation, it is tested against the installed and
>> running postgres. Maybe having the ability to create a temporary
>> installation, as you suggest, would be a nice extension.
>
> Yes, that’s what I would like, so I could test *before* installing.

I would suggest to add that to https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo.

I may look into it when I have time, over the summer. The key point is
that there is no need for a temporary installation, but only of a
temporary cluster, and to trick this cluster into loading the uninstalled
extension, maybe by playing with dynamic_library_path in the temporary
cluster.

--
Fabien.

Re: make check For Extensions

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Jun 12, 2014, at 11:40 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

> I would suggest to add that to https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo.
>
> I may look into it when I have time, over the summer. The key point is that there is no need for a temporary
installation,but only of a temporary cluster, and to trick this cluster into loading the uninstalled extension, maybe
byplaying with dynamic_library_path in the temporary cluster.

The temporary cluster will be in a temporarty `initdb`ed directory, no? If so, you can just install the extension
there.

Best,

David

Re: make check For Extensions

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
>> I would suggest to add that to https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo.
>>
>> I may look into it when I have time, over the summer. The key point is
>> that there is no need for a temporary installation, but only of a
>> temporary cluster, and to trick this cluster into loading the
>> uninstalled extension, maybe by playing with dynamic_library_path in
>> the temporary cluster.
>
> The temporary cluster will be in a temporarty `initdb`ed directory, no?

Yep.

> If so, you can just install the extension there.

I'm not sure the extension is sought for in the cluster (ie the database
data directory). If you do "make install" the shared object is installed
in some /usr/lib/postgresql/... directory (under unix), and it is loaded
from there, but I understood that you wanted to test WITHOUT installing
against the current postgresql.

--
Fabien.

Re: make check For Extensions

От
"David E. Wheeler"
Дата:
On Jun 15, 2014, at 12:25 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

> I'm not sure the extension is sought for in the cluster (ie the database data directory). If you do "make install"
theshared object is installed in some /usr/lib/postgresql/... directory (under unix), and it is loaded from there, but
Iunderstood that you wanted to test WITHOUT installing against the current postgresql.

I would assume there is a way to do it with a path…it’ just a SMOP, of course.