Обсуждение: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
Attached is a patch to improve the manual page for the ALTER TABLE command.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Attached is a patch to improve the manual page for the ALTER TABLE command.

Do we really need to add a section for "type_name" when we already
have a section for "OF type_name"?

constraint_name is also used for adding a constraint using an index.
So it could not only be a constraint to alter, validate, or drop, but
also a new constraint name to be added.  Honestly, how much value is
there in even having a section for this?  Do we really want to
document constraint_name as "name of an existing constraint, or the
name of a new constraint to be added"?  It would be accurate, then,
but it also doesn't really tell you anything you didn't know already.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
(2014/04/09 1:23), Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> Attached is a patch to improve the manual page for the ALTER TABLE command.
>
> Do we really need to add a section for "type_name" when we already
> have a section for "OF type_name"?

I think that the section for "type_name" would be necessary as that in
chapter "Parameters", not in chapter "Description", which includes the
section for "OF type_name".

> constraint_name is also used for adding a constraint using an index.
> So it could not only be a constraint to alter, validate, or drop, but
> also a new constraint name to be added.

I overlooked that.
> Honestly, how much value is
> there in even having a section for this?  Do we really want to
> document constraint_name as "name of an existing constraint, or the
> name of a new constraint to be added"?  It would be accurate, then,
> but it also doesn't really tell you anything you didn't know already.

You have a point there, but I feel odd about the documentation as is,
because some are well written (eg, column_name) and some are not (eg,
constraint_name).  So, if there are no objections, I'd like to update
the patch.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
(2014/04/09 12:03), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> (2014/04/09 1:23), Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:05 AM, Etsuro Fujita
>> <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> Attached is a patch to improve the manual page for the ALTER TABLE
>>> command.
>>
>> Do we really need to add a section for "type_name" when we already
>> have a section for "OF type_name"?
>
> I think that the section for "type_name" would be necessary as that in
> chapter "Parameters", not in chapter "Description", which includes the
> section for "OF type_name".
>
>> constraint_name is also used for adding a constraint using an index.
>> So it could not only be a constraint to alter, validate, or drop, but
>> also a new constraint name to be added.
>
> I overlooked that.
>
>  > Honestly, how much value is
>> there in even having a section for this?  Do we really want to
>> document constraint_name as "name of an existing constraint, or the
>> name of a new constraint to be added"?  It would be accurate, then,
>> but it also doesn't really tell you anything you didn't know already.
>
> You have a point there, but I feel odd about the documentation as is,
> because some are well written (eg, column_name) and some are not (eg,
> constraint_name).  So, if there are no objections, I'd like to update
> the patch.

Attached is an updated version of the patch.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> Attached is an updated version of the patch.

I applied the first two hunks of this, which seem like clear
oversights; and also the bit fixing the constraint_name language.

I think the other changes deserve to be considered separately, and in
particular I'm still not sure it's a good idea to document both OF
type_name and type_name.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
(2014/04/14 23:53), Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> Attached is an updated version of the patch.
>
> I applied the first two hunks of this, which seem like clear
> oversights; and also the bit fixing the constraint_name language.
>
> I think the other changes deserve to be considered separately, and in
> particular I'm still not sure it's a good idea to document both OF
> type_name and type_name.

OK, Thanks!

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Re: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Etsuro Fujita
Дата:
(2014/04/15 15:27), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> (2014/04/14 23:53), Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Etsuro Fujita
>> <fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>> Attached is an updated version of the patch.

>> I think the other changes deserve to be considered separately, and in
>> particular I'm still not sure it's a good idea to document both OF
>> type_name and type_name.

I've agreed on that point, but I think apart from the others, the
trivial typo should be corrected.  Patch attached
(doc-altertable-typo.patch).

I noticed the description of index_name should also be corrected,
because it is currently used not only in CLUSTER ON, but in ADD
table_constraint_using_index.  (It will also be used in REPLICA IDENTITY
in 9.4.)  Patch attached (doc-altertable-indexname.patch).

Thanks,

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Вложения

Re: Minor improvements in alter_table.sgml

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 3:46 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.etsuro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> (2014/04/15 15:27), Etsuro Fujita wrote:
>> (2014/04/14 23:53), Robert Haas wrote:

>>> I think the other changes deserve to be considered separately, and in
>>> particular I'm still not sure it's a good idea to document both OF
>>> type_name and type_name.
>

> I've agreed on that point, but I think apart from the others, the trivial
> typo should be corrected.  Patch attached (doc-altertable-typo.patch).
>
> I noticed the description of index_name should also be corrected, because it
> is currently used not only in CLUSTER ON, but in ADD
> table_constraint_using_index.  (It will also be used in REPLICA IDENTITY in
> 9.4.)  Patch attached (doc-altertable-indexname.patch).

Agreed.  Committed.