Обсуждение: Patch: compiling the docs under Gentoo

Patch: compiling the docs under Gentoo

От
Christian Kruse
Дата:
Hi,

as a Gentoo user I had a hard time getting the documentation
compiled. Attached you will find a Patch explaining exactly this: how
to compile the documentation under Gentoo.

Best regards,

--
 Christian Kruse               http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: Patch: compiling the docs under Gentoo

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Christian Kruse wrote:

> +    Since Gentoo often supports different versions of a package to be
> +    installed you have to tell the PostgreSQL build environment where the
> +    Docbook DTD is located:
> +<programlisting>
> +cd /path/to/postgresql/sources/doc
> +make DOCBOOKSTYLE=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.2
> +</programlisting>

AFAICS this should be handled in config/docbook.m4 by adding
sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.2 to the list already there.  Maybe a wildcard
could be used to avoid the version dependency, not sure.

Re: Patch: compiling the docs under Gentoo

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 1/30/14, 2:42 AM, Christian Kruse wrote:
> +    Since Gentoo often supports different versions of a package to be
> +    installed you have to tell the PostgreSQL build environment where the
> +    Docbook DTD is located:
> +<programlisting>
> +cd /path/to/postgresql/sources/doc
> +make DOCBOOKSTYLE=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.2
> +</programlisting>

This is wrong.  DOCBOOKSTYLE points to the DSSSL style sheets, not the
DTD.  The DTD should be found automatically using the SGML catalog
mechanism.  (That's something that the package system should manage.)

Re: Patch: compiling the docs under Gentoo

От
Christian Kruse
Дата:
Hi,

On Tuesday 11 February 2014 16:04:30 Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 1/30/14, 2:42 AM, Christian Kruse wrote:
> > +    Since Gentoo often supports different versions of a package to be
> > +    installed you have to tell the PostgreSQL build environment where the
> > +    Docbook DTD is located:
> > +<programlisting>
> > +cd /path/to/postgresql/sources/doc
> > +make DOCBOOKSTYLE=/usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-4.2
> > +</programlisting>
>
> This is wrong.

To be honest I noticed a few days ago that this is unnecessary. Just
installing the right packages already solved the problem, it was a
fallacy that setting DOCBOOKSTYLE did help.

I just didn't have had the time to send a new version of the patch,
yet…

Best regards,

-- Christian Kruse               http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services