Обсуждение: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
Hi,

As much as I've seen people frown upon $subject, it still happens in the
wild, and Magnus seems to agree that the current failure mode of our
pg_basebackup tool when confronted to the situation is a bug.

So here's a fix, attached.

To reproduce, mkdir -p $PGDATA/tbs/foo then CREATE TABLESPACE there, and
then pg_basebackup your server. If doing so from the same server, as I
did, then pick the tar format, as here:

  pg_basebackup -Ft -z -c fast -v -X fetch -D /tmp/backup

Then use tar to see that the base backup contains the whole content of
your foo tablespace, and if you did create another tablespace within
$PGDATA/pg_tblspc (which is the other common way to trigger that issue)
then add it to what you want to see:

  tar tzvf /tmp/backup/base.tar.gz pg_tblspc tbs/foo pg_tblspc/bar

Note that empty directories are expected, so tar should output their
entries. Those directories are where you need to be restoring the
tablespace tarballs.

When using pg_basebackup in plain mode, the error is that you get a copy
of all your tablespaces first, then the main PGDATA is copied over and
as the destination directories already do exists (and not empty) the
whole backup fails there.

The bug should be fixed against all revisions of pg_basebackup, though I
didn't try to apply this very patch on all target branches.

Dimitri Fontaine

*** a/src/backend/replication/basebackup.c
--- b/src/backend/replication/basebackup.c
***************
*** 45,51 **** typedef struct
  } basebackup_options;

! static int64 sendDir(char *path, int basepathlen, bool sizeonly);
  static int64 sendTablespace(char *path, bool sizeonly);
  static bool sendFile(char *readfilename, char *tarfilename,
           struct stat * statbuf, bool missing_ok);
--- 45,52 ----
  } basebackup_options;

! static int64 sendDir(char *path, int basepathlen, int rootpathlen,
!                      bool sizeonly, List *tablespaces);
  static int64 sendTablespace(char *path, bool sizeonly);
  static bool sendFile(char *readfilename, char *tarfilename,
           struct stat * statbuf, bool missing_ok);
***************
*** 100,105 **** perform_base_backup(basebackup_options *opt, DIR *tblspcdir)
--- 101,114 ----
      XLogRecPtr    endptr;
      TimeLineID    endtli;
      char       *labelfile;
+     char        cwd[MAXPGPATH];
+     int         rootpathlen;
+
+     /* we need to compute rootpathlen to allow for skipping tablespaces
+      * installed within PGDATA
+      */
+     getcwd(cwd, MAXPGPATH);
+     rootpathlen = strlen(cwd) + 1;

      backup_started_in_recovery = RecoveryInProgress();

***************
*** 165,171 **** perform_base_backup(basebackup_options *opt, DIR *tblspcdir)

          /* Add a node for the base directory at the end */
          ti = palloc0(sizeof(tablespaceinfo));
!         ti->size = opt->progress ? sendDir(".", 1, true) : -1;
          tablespaces = lappend(tablespaces, ti);

          /* Send tablespace header */
--- 174,181 ----

          /* Add a node for the base directory at the end */
          ti = palloc0(sizeof(tablespaceinfo));
!         ti->size = opt->progress ?
!             sendDir(".", 1, rootpathlen, true, tablespaces) : -1;
          tablespaces = lappend(tablespaces, ti);

          /* Send tablespace header */
***************
*** 191,197 **** perform_base_backup(basebackup_options *opt, DIR *tblspcdir)
                  sendFileWithContent(BACKUP_LABEL_FILE, labelfile);

                  /* ... then the bulk of the files ... */
!                 sendDir(".", 1, false);

                  /* ... and pg_control after everything else. */
                  if (lstat(XLOG_CONTROL_FILE, &statbuf) != 0)
--- 201,207 ----
                  sendFileWithContent(BACKUP_LABEL_FILE, labelfile);

                  /* ... then the bulk of the files ... */
!                 sendDir(".", 1, rootpathlen, false, tablespaces);

                  /* ... and pg_control after everything else. */
                  if (lstat(XLOG_CONTROL_FILE, &statbuf) != 0)
***************
*** 779,785 **** sendTablespace(char *path, bool sizeonly)
      size = 512;                    /* Size of the header just added */

      /* Send all the files in the tablespace version directory */
!     size += sendDir(pathbuf, strlen(path), sizeonly);

      return size;
  }
--- 789,795 ----
      size = 512;                    /* Size of the header just added */

      /* Send all the files in the tablespace version directory */
!     size += sendDir(pathbuf, strlen(path), 0, sizeonly, NIL);

      return size;
  }
***************
*** 788,796 **** sendTablespace(char *path, bool sizeonly)
   * Include all files from the given directory in the output tar stream. If
   * 'sizeonly' is true, we just calculate a total length and return it, without
   * actually sending anything.
   */
  static int64
! sendDir(char *path, int basepathlen, bool sizeonly)
  {
      DIR           *dir;
      struct dirent *de;
--- 798,810 ----
   * Include all files from the given directory in the output tar stream. If
   * 'sizeonly' is true, we just calculate a total length and return it, without
   * actually sending anything.
+  *
+  * Omit any directory listed in tablepaces, so as to avoid backuping
+  * tablespaces twice when users did create their tablespaces inside PGDATA.
   */
  static int64
! sendDir(char *path, int basepathlen, int rootpathlen,
!         bool sizeonly, List *tablespaces)
  {
      DIR           *dir;
      struct dirent *de;
***************
*** 931,936 **** sendDir(char *path, int basepathlen, bool sizeonly)
--- 945,954 ----
          }
          else if (S_ISDIR(statbuf.st_mode))
          {
+             bool skip_this_dir = false;
+             int pathbuflen = strlen(pathbuf);
+             ListCell *lc;
+
              /*
               * Store a directory entry in the tar file so we can get the
               * permissions right.
***************
*** 939,946 **** sendDir(char *path, int basepathlen, bool sizeonly)
                  _tarWriteHeader(pathbuf + basepathlen + 1, NULL, &statbuf);
              size += 512;        /* Size of the header just added */

!             /* call ourselves recursively for a directory */
!             size += sendDir(pathbuf, basepathlen, sizeonly);
          }
          else if (S_ISREG(statbuf.st_mode))
          {
--- 957,981 ----
                  _tarWriteHeader(pathbuf + basepathlen + 1, NULL, &statbuf);
              size += 512;        /* Size of the header just added */

!             /* call ourselves recursively for a directory, only when that
!              * directory is not listed in the tablespaces list
!              */
!             foreach(lc, tablespaces)
!             {
!                 tablespaceinfo *ti = (tablespaceinfo *) lfirst(lc);
!
!                 /* we need to compare the relative parts only */
!                 skip_this_dir = ti->path
!                     && pathbuflen > 2 /* ./ */
!                     && strlen(ti->path) > rootpathlen
!                     && strcmp(ti->path + rootpathlen, pathbuf + 2) == 0;
!
!                 if (skip_this_dir)
!                     break;
!             }
!             if (!skip_this_dir)
!                 size += sendDir(pathbuf, basepathlen, rootpathlen,
!                                 sizeonly, tablespaces);
          }
          else if (S_ISREG(statbuf.st_mode))
          {

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
[...]

I had a second round of thought about this, and I don't think this one is going to work. Unfortunately, it's part of the advice I gave you yesterday that was bad I think :)

We can't get away with just comparing the relative part of the pathname. Because it will fail if there is another path with exactly the same length, containing the tablespace.

I think we might want to store a value in the tablespaceinfo struct indicating whether it's actually inside PGDATA (since we have the full path at that point), and then skip it based on that instead. Or store and pass the value of getcwd() perhaps.

Or am I thinking wrong now instead? :)

I've attached a slightly updated patch - I changed around a bit of logic order and updated some comments during my review. And added error-checking.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
> We can't get away with just comparing the relative part of the pathname.
> Because it will fail if there is another path with exactly the same length,
> containing the tablespace.

Actually… yeah.

> I think we might want to store a value in the tablespaceinfo struct
> indicating whether it's actually inside PGDATA (since we have the full path
> at that point), and then skip it based on that instead. Or store and pass
> the value of getcwd() perhaps.

I think it's best to stuff in the tablespaceinfo struct either NIL or
the relative path of the tablespace when found in $PGDATA, as done in
the attached.

> I've attached a slightly updated patch - I changed around a bit of logic
> order and updated some comments during my review. And added error-checking.

Thanks! I started again from your version for v3.

Dimitri Fontaine

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Bernd Helmle

--On 1. Januar 2014 23:53:46 +0100 Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As much as I've seen people frown upon $subject, it still happens in the
> wild, and Magnus seems to agree that the current failure mode of our
> pg_basebackup tool when confronted to the situation is a bug.
>
> So here's a fix, attached.

I've seen having tablespaces under PGDATA as a policy within several data
centres in the past. The main reasoning behind this seems that they
strictly separate platform and database administration and for database
inventory reasons. They are regularly surprised if you tell them to not use
tablespaces in such a way, since they absorbed this practice over the years
from other database systems. So +1 for fixing this.

--
Thanks
Bernd

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 01/02/2014 06:53 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> As much as I've seen people frown upon $subject, it still happens in the
> wild

I met a new case of it a couple of weeks ago, so I can certainly confirm
that.

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> wrote:

> --On 1. Januar 2014 23:53:46 +0100 Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As much as I've seen people frown upon $subject, it still happens in the
>> wild, and Magnus seems to agree that the current failure mode of our
>> pg_basebackup tool when confronted to the situation is a bug.
>>
>> So here's a fix, attached.
>

> I've seen having tablespaces under PGDATA as a policy within several data
> centres in the past. The main reasoning behind this seems that they strictly
> separate platform and database administration and for database inventory
> reasons. They are regularly surprised if you tell them to not use
> tablespaces in such a way, since they absorbed this practice over the years
> from other database systems. So +1 for fixing this.
Same here. +1 for fixing it. Having tablespaces in PGDATA itself is
most of the time part of some obscure policy making easier to manage
all the data in one folder...
--
Michael

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
> We can't get away with just comparing the relative part of the pathname.
> Because it will fail if there is another path with exactly the same length,
> containing the tablespace.

Actually… yeah.

> I think we might want to store a value in the tablespaceinfo struct
> indicating whether it's actually inside PGDATA (since we have the full path
> at that point), and then skip it based on that instead. Or store and pass
> the value of getcwd() perhaps.

I think it's best to stuff in the tablespaceinfo struct either NIL or
the relative path of the tablespace when found in $PGDATA, as done in
the attached.

> I've attached a slightly updated patch - I changed around a bit of logic
> order and updated some comments during my review. And added error-checking.

Thanks! I started again from your version for v3.

Applied a fairly heavily edited version of this one. I also backpatched it to 9.1 and up.

Thanks!

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
> Applied a fairly heavily edited version of this one. I also backpatched it
> to 9.1 and up.

Thanks a lot!

Did some reviewing and re-testing here, I like using DataDir and
IS_DIR_SEP better than what I did, of course ;-)

Dimitri Fontaine

Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

Дата:
On Thu, Jan  2, 2014 at 03:34:04PM +0100, Bernd Helmle wrote:

> --On 1. Januar 2014 23:53:46 +0100 Dimitri Fontaine
> <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >As much as I've seen people frown upon $subject, it still happens in the
> >wild, and Magnus seems to agree that the current failure mode of our
> >pg_basebackup tool when confronted to the situation is a bug.
> >
> >So here's a fix, attached.
>
> I've seen having tablespaces under PGDATA as a policy within several
> data centres in the past. The main reasoning behind this seems that
> they strictly separate platform and database administration and for
> database inventory reasons. They are regularly surprised if you tell
> them to not use tablespaces in such a way, since they absorbed this
> practice over the years from other database systems. So +1 for
> fixing this.

FYI, this setup also causes problems for pg_upgrade.  There is a recent
thread about that that I will reply to.  The problem is that pre-9.2
servers get a mismatch between the symlink and the pg_tablespace path
when they rename the old cluster.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +