Обсуждение: dblink performance regression

dblink performance regression

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

I was recently approached by someone with a dblink performance
regression, going back to somewhere between 8.3 (good) and 8.4 (bad).
They were measuring ~8% degradation in dblink connection speed. I was
able to replicate on my own hardware with the following script:

8<------------------------------
create or replace function test_dblink(loops int)
returns text as $$
declare
  i int;
  ret int;
begin
  for i in 1..loops loop
    IF i % 100 = 0 THEN
      RAISE NOTICE 'connect attempt %', i;
    END IF;
    PERFORM dblink_connect('me','dbname=postgres host=w.x.y.z');
    SELECT x into ret FROM dblink('me','SELECT 1', true) as x(x int);
    PERFORM dblink_disconnect('me');
  end loop;
  return 'done';
end;
$$ language plpgsql;
\timing
select test_dblink(1000);
8<------------------------------

In my testing I saw a very consistent 4-5% degradation. I then did a
git bisect and traced the performance degradation to this commit:

- ------------------
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=e5de601267d98c5d60df6de8d436685c7105d149

committer    Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>
    Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:35:36 +0000 (16:35 +0000)
commit    e5de601267d98c5d60df6de8d436685c7105d149

"Default client encoding to server encoding for dblink connections.
 Addresses issue raised by Ruzsinszky Attila and confirmed by others."

- ------------------
with this diff:
- ------------------

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blobdiff;f=contrib/dblink/dblink.c;h=e709ae9cc3b9f7177eaae08d11540a8590e7dc63;hp=283b4d0b25e9924dfc2d16075e7cfc1277ce5956;hb=e5de601267d98c5d60df6de8d436685c7105d149;hpb=adaf60131f81394939b5b55f74130343d520cd2d
- ------------------

Apparently setting client encoding is an expensive operation.

My proposed fix (diff attached) is to simply skip setting client
encoding in the case where it already matches server side encoding.
With the patch applied, and client encoding matching server (both
UTF8), the performance regression is completely gone.

Possibly additional work could go into determining if
PQsetClientEncoding() can be made more efficient, but I believe it
still makes sense in the case of dblink to do nothing when nothing is
required.

If there are no objections I'll commit this to all branches this weekend.

Thanks,

Joe

- --
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us

Вложения

Re: dblink performance regression

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Apparently setting client encoding is an expensive operation.

Yeah, it requires sending a command to the remote end.  I'm not
sure if it'd be a good idea for PQsetClientEncoding to try to
skip the operation when the client encoding is already the
right thing.  The given name might not be spelled canonically,
for one thing.

> My proposed fix (diff attached) is to simply skip setting client
> encoding in the case where it already matches server side encoding.

I have to think that we shouldn't need a string compare to figure out
if one integer encoding ID is equal to another.  Why not just compare
PQclientEncoding(conn) to GetDatabaseEncoding()?  Otherwise, seems
reasonable.

Actually ... there's an interesting conflict here.  What if libpq hasn't
got the same encoding ID number assignments as the backend?  I suspect
that the proposed code is actually wrong, or at least risks being wrong,
because it's far from clear whether the linker will resolve
pg_encoding_to_char() as being libpq's version or the backend's version.
The former choice would cause things to work, as long as the textual names
agree, but the latter choice would be just as broken as if we'd simply
compared the integer IDs.

I seem to remember that at some point we realized that the encoding ID
assignments are part of libpq's ABI and so can't practically be changed
ever, so the above may be moot.  Even so, I think it's a bad idea to be
depending on pg_encoding_to_char() here, given the ambiguity in what it
references.  It would be unsurprising to get build-time or run-time
failures on pickier platforms, as a consequence of that ambiguity.  So
I'd still recommend comparing integer IDs as above, rather than this.
        regards, tom lane

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:53 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I seem to remember that at some point we realized that the encoding
> ID assignments are part of libpq's ABI and so can't practically be
> changed ever, so the above may be moot.  Even so, I think it's a
> bad idea to be depending on pg_encoding_to_char() here, given the
> ambiguity in what it references.  It would be unsurprising to get
> build-time or run-time failures on pickier platforms, as a
> consequence of that ambiguity.  So I'd still recommend comparing
> integer IDs as above, rather than this.

Great feedback as always -- thanks! Will make that change.

Hi Joe, how are you?

Well, when Tom sent this email I was reviewing your patch and the main suggestion is about use of 'pg_encoding_to_char' too... ;-)

The attached patch with my review!

Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
Вложения

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> On 12/05/2013 07:16 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
> > Hi Joe, how are you?
>
> Hi Fabrizio -- great to hear from you! I'm well.

:-)

> > Well, when Tom sent this email I was reviewing your patch and the
> > main suggestion is about use of 'pg_encoding_to_char' too... ;-)
> >
> > The attached patch with my review!
>
> Awesome, thanks for the review!

You're welcome!

Greetings,

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
>> Timbira: http://www.timbira.com.br
>> Blog sobre TI: http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com
>> Perfil Linkedin: http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fabriziomello

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> On 12/05/2013 07:05 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> > On 12/05/2013 06:53 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I seem to remember that at some point we realized that the
> >> encoding ID assignments are part of libpq's ABI and so can't
> >> practically be changed ever, so the above may be moot.  Even so,
> >> I think it's a bad idea to be depending on pg_encoding_to_char()
> >> here, given the ambiguity in what it references.  It would be
> >> unsurprising to get build-time or run-time failures on pickier
> >> platforms, as a consequence of that ambiguity.  So I'd still
> >> recommend comparing integer IDs as above, rather than this.
> >
> > Great feedback as always -- thanks! Will make that change.
>
> Committed to all active branches.

IMHO is more elegant create a procedure to encapsulate the code to avoid redundancy.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
>> Timbira: http://www.timbira.com.br
>> Blog sobre TI: http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com
>> Perfil Linkedin: http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fabriziomello

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

>> > Great feedback as always -- thanks! Will make that change.
>>
>> Committed to all active branches.
>>

> IMHO is more elegant create a procedure to encapsulate the code to avoid
> redundancy.
Yep, perhaps something like PQsetClientEncodingIfDifferent or similar
would make sense.
--
Michael

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

I tested out Joe's original patch, and it does eliminate the 8%
performance regression.

Will try the new one.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Дата:
moreelegant create a procedure to encapsulate the code to avoid<br /> > > redundancy.<br />> Yep, perhaps
class="gmail_extra">WellI think at this first moment we can just create a procedure inside the dblink contrib and not
href="http://www.timbira.com.br">http://www.timbira.com.br</a><br/> >> Blog sobre TI: <a
href="http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com">http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com</a><br/>>> Perfil Linkedin: <a
href="http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello">http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello</a><br/> >> Twitter: <a

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Joe Conway
Дата:

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > IMHO is more elegant create a procedure to encapsulate the code to avoid
> > > redundancy.
> > Yep, perhaps something like PQsetClientEncodingIfDifferent or similar
> > would make sense.
> >

> Well I think at this first moment we can just create a procedure inside the dblink contrib and not touch in libpq.

Something like the attached.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL
>> Timbira: http://www.timbira.com.br
>> Blog sobre TI: http://fabriziomello.blogspot.com
>> Perfil Linkedin: http://br.linkedin.com/in/fabriziomello
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/fabriziomello
Вложения

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
> On 2013/12/08, at 10:50, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

>> On 12/07/2013 05:41 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael.paquier@gmail.com <mailto:michael.paquier@gmail.com>>

>>> Yep, perhaps something like PQsetClientEncodingIfDifferent or
>>> similar would make sense.
>>
>> Well I think at this first moment we can just create a procedure
>> inside the dblink contrib and not touch in libpq.
>
> Maybe a libpq function could be done for 9.4, but not for back branches.
Agreed as this would change the spec of libpq between minor releases. Sorry for not being clear myself.

--
Michael
(Sent from my mobile phone)

Re: dblink performance regression

Дата:
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> I don't think it makes sense to create a new function in dblink either
> -- we're only talking about two lines of added redundancy which is
> less lines of code than a new function would add.

Indeed, and I think the claim that such a function "encapsulates" anything
useful is pretty silly as well.  I think the committed patch is fine.
        regards, tom lane

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On 12/7/13 7:50 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 12/07/2013 05:41 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
>> >
>> >On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Michael Paquier
>> ><michael.paquier@gmail.com  <mailto:michael.paquier@gmail.com>>

>> >Well I think at this first moment we can just create a procedure
>> >inside the dblink contrib and not touch in libpq.
> Maybe a libpq function could be done for 9.4, but not for back branches.

Stupid question... why don't we just pass encoding in with the other connection parameters? That eliminates any
ambiguity.The only issue would be if the user also passed that in via connstr... though now that I think about it, we
currentlysilently ignore that parameter, which IMHO is bad. We should either respect if the user passes that in (ie:
notdo anything at all), or we should throw an error.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net

Re: dblink performance regression

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 12/07/2013 05:50 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 12/07/2013 05:41 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael.paquier@gmail.com <mailto:michael.paquier@gmail.com>>

>>> Yep, perhaps something like PQsetClientEncodingIfDifferent or
>>> similar would make sense.
>
>> Well I think at this first moment we can just create a procedure
>> inside the dblink contrib and not touch in libpq.
>
> Maybe a libpq function could be done for 9.4, but not for back branches.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to create a new function in dblink either
> -- we're only talking about two lines of added redundancy which is
> less lines of code than a new function would add. But if we create
> PQsetClientEncodingIfDifferent() (or whatever) we can remove those
> extra lines in 9.4 ;-)

Hey, since we're about to do 9.3.3: was this patch ever committed?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: dblink performance regression