Обсуждение: operator precedence issues

operator precedence issues

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
Hackers,

The operator precedence rules seem hard wired to not be able to be
worked around, not matter what.  The pain point for me has always been
the division operator -- once in a while I end up in a situation where
I want to override it so that it wraps the divisor with NULLIF.  There
is no way I can see to do that: custom operator (for example '//')
names evaluate in different precedence order which is a non-starter
essentially.  That I'm ok with given the reasoning in the docs, but
I'm really scratching my head over this rule (via
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-PRECEDENCE):

"When a schema-qualified operator name is used in the OPERATOR syntax,
as for example in:
SELECT 3 OPERATOR(pg_catalog.+) 4;
the OPERATOR construct is taken to have the default precedence shown
in Table 4-2 for "any other" operator. This is true no matter which
specific operator appears inside OPERATOR()."

That rule seems intentionally designed to make it impossible to to
override mathematical behaviors.  Mainly curious -- was that
intentional?

merlin

Re: operator precedence issues

Дата:
> The operator precedence rules seem hard wired to not be able to be
> worked around, not matter what.

That's right.  In the first place, bison is incapable of doing anything
other than hard-wired operator precedence.  In the second, if we did
try to allow catalog-driven precedence, it would require catalog lookups
during the "raw parser" phase, which isn't going to work for a number
of implementation reasons; but worse than the implementation troubles
is that the grammar would then become fundamentally ambiguous, eg there
could be multiple correct parsings of A+B*C depending on what data types
A,B,C have.  So precedence is hard-wired based on the operator name.

> I'm really scratching my head over this rule (via
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-PRECEDENCE):

> "When a schema-qualified operator name is used in the OPERATOR syntax,
> as for example in:
> SELECT 3 OPERATOR(pg_catalog.+) 4;
> the OPERATOR construct is taken to have the default precedence shown
> in Table 4-2 for "any other" operator. This is true no matter which
> specific operator appears inside OPERATOR()."

Yeah.  I'd rather have said that it's the same precedence as for the
undecorated operator name, but again bison doesn't really have a way
to do that.
        regards, tom lane

Re: operator precedence issues

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2013-08-30 17:35:04 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> "When a schema-qualified operator name is used in the OPERATOR syntax,
> as for example in:
> SELECT 3 OPERATOR(pg_catalog.+) 4;
> the OPERATOR construct is taken to have the default precedence shown
> in Table 4-2 for "any other" operator. This is true no matter which
> specific operator appears inside OPERATOR()."
>
> That rule seems intentionally designed to make it impossible to to
> override mathematical behaviors.  Mainly curious -- was that
> intentional?

You can change your search_path to include your schema before an
explicitly listed pg_catalog afair. Not nice, but should work...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: operator precedence issues

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2013-08-30 17:35:04 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> "When a schema-qualified operator name is used in the OPERATOR syntax,
>> as for example in:
>> SELECT 3 OPERATOR(pg_catalog.+) 4;
>> the OPERATOR construct is taken to have the default precedence shown
>> in Table 4-2 for "any other" operator. This is true no matter which
>> specific operator appears inside OPERATOR()."
>>
>> That rule seems intentionally designed to make it impossible to to
>> override mathematical behaviors.  Mainly curious -- was that
>> intentional?
>
> You can change your search_path to include your schema before an
> explicitly listed pg_catalog afair. Not nice, but should work...

hurk -- wish I had known that last week, but that's a nifty trick!  It
satisfies my particular problem (safe division) since in this case the
problem is handled 'in function' and I can temporarily hack the
search_path.  Interestingly, if you do this the database doesn't match

Ideally though you could specify operator precedence in the operator
name itself though in such a way that bison pick it up.  I don't know
if that's possible since so many operator names have been given out
without any thought to reserving characters for precedence, or if it
would be worth the extra parsing time even if you could do it.
Overriding stock operator behaviors is a really dodgy practice with
the limited but important exception of handling certain classes of
mathematical errors.

While playing around with Andres's trick, I noticed that it works but
will not match against operators taking "any" although those will
match with explicit schema declaration (FWICT it goes through the
search_path trying to explicitly match int/int operator then goes
again matches "any").  That's pretty weird:

postgres=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION SafeDiv(
postgres(#   anyelement,
postgres(#   anyelement) RETURNS anyelement AS
postgres-# $$
postgres$#   SELECT $1 OPERATOR(pg_catalog./)  NULLIF($2, 0);
postgres$# $$ LANGUAGE SQL;
CREATE FUNCTION

postgres=# set search_path to safediv, pg_catalog, public;
SET

postgres=# CREATE OPERATOR safediv./
postgres-# (
postgres(#   PROCEDURE = SafeDiv,
postgres(#   LEFTARG = anyelement,
postgres(#   RIGHTARG = anyelement,
postgres(#   COMMUTATOR = /
postgres(# );
CREATE OPERATOR

postgres=# select 1/0;
ERROR:  division by zero
postgres=# select 1 operator(safediv./) 0;?column?
----------

(1 row)

postgres=# CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION SafeDiv(
postgres(#   int4,
postgres(#   int4) RETURNS int4 AS
postgres-# $$
postgres$#   SELECT $1 OPERATOR(pg_catalog./) NULLIF($2, 0);
postgres$# $$ LANGUAGE SQL;
CREATE FUNCTION

postgres=#
postgres=# CREATE OPERATOR safediv./
postgres-# (
postgres(#   PROCEDURE = SafeDiv,
postgres(#   LEFTARG = int4,
postgres(#   RIGHTARG = int4,
postgres(#   COMMUTATOR = /
postgres(# );
CREATE OPERATOR

postgres=# select 1/0;?column?
----------

(1 row)

merlin

Re: operator precedence issues

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2013-09-03 08:59:53 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> While playing around with Andres's trick, I noticed that it works but
> will not match against operators taking "any" although those will
> match with explicit schema declaration (FWICT it goes through the
> search_path trying to explicitly match int/int operator then goes
> again matches "any").  That's pretty weird:

Not surprising. We look for the best match for an operator and
explicitly matching types will be that. If there were no operator(int,
int) your anyelement variant should get called.

> Ideally though you could specify operator precedence in the operator
> name itself though in such a way that bison pick it up.  I don't know
> if that's possible since so many operator names have been given out
> without any thought to reserving characters for precedence, or if it
> would be worth the extra parsing time even if you could do it.
> Overriding stock operator behaviors is a really dodgy practice with
> the limited but important exception of handling certain classes of
> mathematical errors.

I have to say, even those it seems like it's primary advantage is
making it harder to read the code, but YMMV.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Re: operator precedence issues

Дата:
> On 2013-09-03 08:59:53 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> While playing around with Andres's trick, I noticed that it works but
>> will not match against operators taking "any" although those will
>> match with explicit schema declaration (FWICT it goes through the
>> search_path trying to explicitly match int/int operator then goes
>> again matches "any").  That's pretty weird:

> Not surprising. We look for the best match for an operator and
> explicitly matching types will be that. If there were no operator(int,
> int) your anyelement variant should get called.

Yeah, this has exactly nothing to do with operator precedence.
Precedence is about which operator binds tighter in cases like "A+B*C".
        regards, tom lane

operator precedence issues

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Tom Lane <<a href="mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us">tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us</a>> wrote:<br
/>>Andres Freund <<a href="mailto:andres@2ndquadrant.com">andres@2ndquadrant.com</a>> writes:<br />>> On
2013-09-0308:59:53 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:<br /> >>> While playing around with Andres's trick, I noticed
thatit works but<br />>>> will not match against operators taking "any" although those will<br />>>>
matchwith explicit schema declaration (FWICT it goes through the<br /> >>> search_path trying to explicitly
Notsurprising. We look for the best match for an operator and<br /> >> explicitly matching types will be that. If
hasexactly nothing to do with operator precedence.<br /> > Precedence is about which operator binds tighter in cases
like"A+B*C".<br /><br />That all makes perfect sense -- thanks guys.  For posterity, Andres's trick worked and did end
upsaving me some coding after all -- in my case I have to eval() some externally generated fairly complex expressions
inSQL (via pl/pgsql EXECUTE) in the context of a much larger query.  My de-parsing code ended up having bugs and it was