Обсуждение: proposal: option --application_name for psql

proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

we like to use psql in combination with bash - just like postgresql driver.

Actually there is no simple possibility (from command line) to set
application_name. We would to use different name than psql - for
example "splunk", ...

I tested PGAPPNAME, but it doesn't work.

so my propose:

1) fix psql to respect PGAPPNAME

2) enhance --application_name parameter

Options, ideas, comments ?

Regards

Pavel

Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
"Erik Rijkers"
Дата:
On Tue, May 14, 2013 21:04, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> we like to use psql in combination with bash - just like postgresql driver.
>
> Actually there is no simple possibility (from command line) to set
> application_name. We would to use different name than psql - for
> example "splunk", ...
>
> I tested PGAPPNAME, but it doesn't work.

It does work:

$ PGAPPNAME=splunk psql -c "select application_name from pg_stat_activity;"application_name
------------------splunk
(1 row)

But perhaps I misunderstood your intention?

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2013/5/14 Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl>:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 21:04, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> we like to use psql in combination with bash - just like postgresql driver.
>>
>> Actually there is no simple possibility (from command line) to set
>> application_name. We would to use different name than psql - for
>> example "splunk", ...
>>
>> I tested PGAPPNAME, but it doesn't work.
>>

> It does work:
>
> $ PGAPPNAME=splunk psql -c "select application_name from pg_stat_activity;"
>  application_name
> ------------------
>  splunk
> (1 row)
>
> But perhaps I misunderstood your intention?

I was wrong - PGAPPNAME works, thank you

but command line --application_name option should be a useful option I
am thinking still

Regards

Pavel

> Thanks,
>
> Erik Rijkers

Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/5/14 Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl>:
>> On Tue, May 14, 2013 21:04, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> we like to use psql in combination with bash - just like postgresql driver.
>>>
>>> Actually there is no simple possibility (from command line) to set
>>> application_name. We would to use different name than psql - for
>>> example "splunk", ...
>>>
>>> I tested PGAPPNAME, but it doesn't work.
>>>

>> It does work:
>>
>> $ PGAPPNAME=splunk psql -c "select application_name from pg_stat_activity;"
>>  application_name
>> ------------------
>>  splunk
>> (1 row)
>>
>> But perhaps I misunderstood your intention?
>>

> I was wrong - PGAPPNAME works, thank you
>
> but command line --application_name option should be a useful option I
> am thinking still

That goes for a lot of the parameters that go in a connection string,
I'm not sure application_name is common enough to have it's own
argument if other parameters don't. And you can still set it as long
as you use psql in "connection string mode", as you can with all the
libpq parameters.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2013/5/14 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> psql in "connection string mode"

Hi Magnus, can me send some link?

Thank you

Pavel

Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/5/14 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
>> psql in "connection string mode"
>
> Hi Magnus, can me send some link?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-psql.html

"If this parameter contains an = sign or starts with a valid URI
prefix (postgresql:// or postgres://), it is treated as a conninfo
string. See Section 31.1 for more information."

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2013/5/14 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2013/5/14 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
>>> psql in "connection string mode"
>>
>> Hi Magnus, can me send some link?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-psql.html
>
> "If this parameter contains an = sign or starts with a valid URI
> prefix (postgresql:// or postgres://), it is treated as a conninfo
> string. See Section 31.1 for more information."

I was blind, thank you

Pavel

> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
2013/5/14 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>:
> 2013/5/14 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:
>>>
>>> Hi Magnus, can me send some link?
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/app-psql.html
>>
>> "If this parameter contains an = sign or starts with a valid URI
>> prefix (postgresql:// or postgres://), it is treated as a conninfo
>> string. See Section 31.1 for more information."
>
> I was blind, thank you

After comments from Erik and Magnus my proposal has no sense.

Regards

Pavel