Обсуждение: pg_resetxlog -m documentation not up to date

pg_resetxlog -m documentation not up to date

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
The pg_resetxlog -m option was changed from
 -m XID           set next multitransaction ID

 -m XID,OLDEST    set next multitransaction ID and oldest value

but the man page does not reflect that change.

It was introduced in 0ac5ad5134f2769ccbaefec73844f8504c4d6182 "Improve
concurrency of foreign key locking", but there is also no explanation
there.  It is apparently needed in pg_upgrade.

This should be documented, and I think the help line should be changed
to something like
 -m XID,XID       set next and oldest multitransaction ID

Re: pg_resetxlog -m documentation not up to date

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Ping.  This ought to be fixed before 9.3 goes out.

On Sat, 2013-04-27 at 21:22 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The pg_resetxlog -m option was changed from
>
>   -m XID           set next multitransaction ID

>   -m XID,OLDEST    set next multitransaction ID and oldest value
>
> but the man page does not reflect that change.
>
> It was introduced in 0ac5ad5134f2769ccbaefec73844f8504c4d6182 "Improve
> concurrency of foreign key locking", but there is also no explanation
> there.  It is apparently needed in pg_upgrade.
>
> This should be documented, and I think the help line should be changed
> to something like
>
>   -m XID,XID       set next and oldest multitransaction ID

Re: pg_resetxlog -m documentation not up to date

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Ping.  This ought to be fixed before 9.3 goes out.

Will fix.

> On Sat, 2013-04-27 at 21:22 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > The pg_resetxlog -m option was changed from

Re: pg_resetxlog -m documentation not up to date

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> It was introduced in 0ac5ad5134f2769ccbaefec73844f8504c4d6182 "Improve
> concurrency of foreign key locking", but there is also no explanation
> there.  It is apparently needed in pg_upgrade.
>
> This should be documented, and I think the help line should be changed
> to something like
>
>   -m XID,XID       set next and oldest multitransaction ID

I have come up with the attached patch.  Does this match your
expectations?  Also, I'm a bit annoyed that there's no easy "append N
zeroes to a number" recipe for multixact members such as there is for
pg_clog and multixact offsets.  Any suggestions on how to improve the
current recommendation?

(Also, I found out that if the last multixact/offsets file is not
exactly 32 pages long, the server will fail to create further mxacts
after following the recipe in docs; IIRC because it looks up the mxact
previous to the next one.)

*** a/doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_resetxlog.sgml
--- b/doc/src/sgml/ref/pg_resetxlog.sgml
***************
class="parameter">xid_epoch</replaceable></arg>
choice="opt"><option>-O</option><replaceable class="parameter">mxoff</replaceable></arg>    <arg
choice="opt"><option>-l</option><replaceable class="parameter">xlogfile</replaceable></arg>    <arg
choice="plain"><replaceable>datadir</replaceable></arg>
choice="opt"><option>-x</option><replaceable class="parameter">xid</replaceable></arg>    <arg
choice="opt"><option>-e</option><replaceable class="parameter">xid_epoch</replaceable></arg>

class="parameter">xlogfile</replaceable></arg>   <arg choice="plain"><replaceable>datadir</replaceable></arg>

***************
*** 81,87 **** PostgreSQL documentation    <option>-m</>, <option>-O</>,    and <option>-l</>    options allow the next
OID,next transaction ID, next transaction ID's

!    epoch, next multitransaction ID, next multitransaction offset, and WAL    starting address values to be set
manually. These are only needed when    <command>pg_resetxlog</command> is unable to determine appropriate values    by
reading<filename>pg_control</>.  Safe values can be determined as

--- 81,87 ----    <option>-m</>, <option>-O</>,    and <option>-l</>    options allow the next OID, next transaction
ID,next transaction ID's

!    epoch, next and oldest multitransaction ID, next multitransaction offset, and WAL    starting address values to be
setmanually.  These are only needed when    <command>pg_resetxlog</command> is unable to determine appropriate values
by reading <filename>pg_control</>.  Safe values can be determined as

***************
*** 104,115 **** PostgreSQL documentation      <listitem>      <para>
!       A safe value for the next multitransaction ID (<option>-m</>)       can be determined by looking for the
numericallylargest       file name in the directory <filename>pg_multixact/offsets</> under the

!       data directory, adding one, and then multiplying by 65536.  As above,
!       the file names are in hexadecimal, so the easiest way to do this is to
!       specify the option value in hexadecimal and add four zeroes.      </para>     </listitem>
--- 104,119 ----      <listitem>      <para>
!       A safe value for the next multitransaction ID (first part of <option>-m</>)       can be determined by looking
forthe numerically largest       file name in the directory <filename>pg_multixact/offsets</> under the

!       data directory, adding one, and then multiplying by 65536.
!       Conversely, a safe value for the oldest multitransaction ID (second part of
!       <option>-m</>)
!       can be determined by looking for the numerically smallest
!       file name in the same directory and multiplying by 65536.
!       As above, the file names are in hexadecimal, so the easiest way to do
!       this is to specify the option value in hexadecimal and append four zeroes.      </para>     </listitem>
***************
*** 118,126 **** PostgreSQL documentation       A safe value for the next multitransaction offset (<option>-O</>)
canbe determined by looking for the numerically largest       file name in the directory
<filename>pg_multixact/members</>under the

!       data directory, adding one, and then multiplying by 65536.  As above,
!       the file names are in hexadecimal, so the easiest way to do this is to
!       specify the option value in hexadecimal and add four zeroes.      </para>     </listitem>
--- 122,130 ----       A safe value for the next multitransaction offset (<option>-O</>)       can be determined by
lookingfor the numerically largest       file name in the directory <filename>pg_multixact/members</> under the

!       data directory, adding one, and then multiplying by 52352.  As above,
!       the file names are in hexadecimal.  There is no simple recipe such as
!       the ones above of appending zeroes.      </para>     </listitem>
*** a/src/bin/pg_resetxlog/pg_resetxlog.c
--- b/src/bin/pg_resetxlog/pg_resetxlog.c
***************
*** 1036,1042 **** usage(void)     printf(_("  -e XIDEPOCH      set next transaction ID epoch\n"));     printf(_("  -f
            force update to be done\n"));     printf(_("  -l XLOGFILE      force minimum WAL starting location for new
transactionlog\n"));

!     printf(_("  -m XID,OLDEST    set next multitransaction ID and oldest value\n"));     printf(_("  -n
noupdate, just show extracted control values (for testing)\n"));     printf(_("  -o OID           set next OID\n"));
printf(_("  -O OFFSET        set next multitransaction offset\n"));

--- 1036,1042 ----     printf(_("  -e XIDEPOCH      set next transaction ID epoch\n"));     printf(_("  -f
force update to be done\n"));     printf(_("  -l XLOGFILE      force minimum WAL starting location for new transaction
log\n"));
!     printf(_("  -m XID,XID       set next and oldest multitransaction ID\n"));     printf(_("  -n               no
update,just show extracted control values (for testing)\n"));     printf(_("  -o OID           set next OID\n"));
printf(_(" -O OFFSET        set next multitransaction offset\n"));

Re: pg_resetxlog -m documentation not up to date

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 6/19/13 9:57 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Ping.  This ought to be fixed before 9.3 goes out.
>
> Will fix.
>
>> On Sat, 2013-04-27 at 21:22 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>> The pg_resetxlog -m option was changed from

The man page lists the -m option as -m mxid,mxid, but the --help output
has -m XID,XID.  Is that correct?  Do we consider MXIDs to be a subset
of XIDs?

Re: pg_resetxlog -m documentation not up to date

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Ping.  This ought to be fixed before 9.3 goes out.
> >
> > Will fix.

> The man page lists the -m option as -m mxid,mxid, but the --help output
> has -m XID,XID.  Is that correct?  Do we consider MXIDs to be a subset
> of XIDs?

Yeah, mxids are stored in places that normally store Xids (namely a
tuples' Xmax field).  That said, I don't see any reason not to have
--help show -m MXID,MXID.