Обсуждение: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
The security of MD5 authentication is brought up every now and then,
most recently here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-08/msg00586.php. The
NIST competition mentioned in that thread just finished. MD5 is still
resistent to preimage attacks, which is what matters for our MD5
authentication protocol, but I think we should start thinking about a
replacement, if only to avoid ringing the alarm bells in people's minds
thinking "MD5 = broken"

Perhaps the biggest weakness in the current scheme is that if an
attacker ever sees the contents of pg_shadow, it can use the stored
hashes to authenticate as any user. This might not seems like a big
deal, you have to be a superuser to read pg_shadow after all, but it
makes it a lot more dangerous to e.g leave old backups lying around.
Thers was some talk about avoiding that in this old thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-06/msg00553.php.

It turns out that it's possible to do this without the kind of
commutative hash function discussed in that thread. There's a protocol
called Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM) (see
RFC5802), that accomplishes the same with some clever use of a hash
function and XOR. I think we should adopt that.

Thoughts on that?

There are some other minor issues with current md5 authentication. SCRAM
would address these as well, but if we don't adopt SCRAM for some
reason, we should still address these somehow:

1. Salt length. Greg Stark calculated the odds of salt collisions here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-08/msg01540.php. It's
not too bad as it is, and as Greg pointed out, if you can eavesdrop it's
likely you can also hijack an already established connection.
Nevertheless I think we should make the salt longer, say, 16 bytes.

2. Make the calculation more expensive, to make dictionary attacks more
expensive. An eavesdropper can launch a brute-force or dictionary attack
using a captured hash and salt. Similar to the classic crypt(3)
function, it would be good for the calculation to be expensive, although
that naturally makes authentication more expensive too. For
future-proofing, it would be good to send the number of iterations the
hash is applied as part of the protocol, so that it can be configured in
the server or we can just raise the default/hardcoded number without
changing the protocol as computers becomes more powerful (SCRAM does this).

3. Instead of a straightforward hash of (password, salt), use a HMAC
construct to concatenate the password and salt (see RFC2104). This makes
it resistant to length-extension attacks. The current scheme isn't
vulnerable to that, but better safe than sorry.

- Heikki

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 10 October 2012 11:41, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

> Thoughts on that?

I think there has been enough discussion of md5 problems elsewhere
that we should provide an alternative.

If we can agree on that bit first, we can move onto exactly what else
should be available.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Marko Kreen
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 10 October 2012 11:41, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> Thoughts on that?
>
> I think there has been enough discussion of md5 problems elsewhere
> that we should provide an alternative.
>
> If we can agree on that bit first, we can move onto exactly what else
> should be available.

Main weakness in current protocol is that stored value is
plaintext-equivalent - you can use it to log in.

Rest of the problems - use of md5 and how it is used - are relatively minor.
(IOW - they don't cause immediate security incident.)

Which means just slapping SHA1 in place of MD5 and calling it a day
is bad idea.

Another bad idea is to invent our own algorithm - if a security
protocol needs to fulfill more than one requirement, it tends
to get tricky.

I have looked at SRP previously, but it's heavy of complex
bignum math, which makes it problematic to reimplement
in various drivers.  Also many versions of it makes me
dubious of the authors..

The SCRAM looks good from the quick glance.  It uses only
basic crypto tools - hash, hmac, xor.

The "stored auth info cannot be used to log in" will cause
problems to middleware, but SCRAM defines also
concept of log-in-as-other-user, so poolers can have
their own user that they use to create connections
under another user.  As it works only on connect
time, it can actually be secure, unlike user switching
with SET ROLE.

--
marko

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
Heikki,

Like these proposals in general.

* Heikki Linnakangas (hlinnakangas@vmware.com) wrote:
> For future-proofing, it would be good to send the
> number of iterations the hash is applied as part of the protocol, so
> that it can be configured in the server or we can just raise the
> default/hardcoded number without changing the protocol as computers
> becomes more powerful (SCRAM does this).

wrt future-proofing, I don't like the "#-of-iterations" approach.  There
are a number of examples of how to deal with multiple encryption types
being supported by a protocol, I'd expect hash'ing could be done in the
same way.  For example, Negotiate, SSL, Kerberos, GSSAPI, all have ways
of dealing with multiple encryption/hashing options being supported.
Multiple iterations could be supported through that same mechanism (as
des/des3 were both supported by Kerberos for quite some time).

In general, I think it's good to build on existing implementations where
possible.  Perhaps we could even consider using something which already
exists for this?  Also, how much should we worry about supporting
complicated/strong authentication systems for those who don't actually
encrypt the entire communication, which might reduce the need for this
additional complexity anyway?  Don't get me wrong- I really dislike that
we don't have something better today for people who insist on password
based auth, but perhaps we should be pushing harder for people to use
SSL instead?
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Marko Kreen (markokr@gmail.com) wrote:
> As it works only on connect
> time, it can actually be secure, unlike user switching
> with SET ROLE.

I'm guessing your issue with SET ROLE is that a RESET ROLE can be issued
later..?  If so, I'd suggest that we look at fixing that, but realize it
could break poolers.  For that matter, I'm not sure how the proposal to
allow connections to be authenticated as one user but authorized as
another (which we actually already support in some cases, eg: peer)
*wouldn't* break poolers, unless you're suggesting they either use a
separate connection for every user, or reconnect every time, both of
which strike me as defeating a great deal of the point of having a
pooler in the first place...
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 10/12/12 12:44 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Don't get me wrong- I really dislike that
> we don't have something better today for people who insist on password
> based auth, but perhaps we should be pushing harder for people to use
> SSL instead?

Problem is, the fact that setting up SSL correctly is hard is outside of
our control.

Unless we can give people a "run these three commands on each server and
you're now SSL authenticating" script, we can continue to expect the
majority of users not to use SSL.  And I don't think that level of
simplicity is even theoretically possible.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> Problem is, the fact that setting up SSL correctly is hard is outside of
> our control.

Agreed, though the packagers do make it easier..

> Unless we can give people a "run these three commands on each server and
> you're now SSL authenticating" script, we can continue to expect the
> majority of users not to use SSL.  And I don't think that level of
> simplicity is even theoretically possible.

The Debian-based packages do quite a bit to ease this pain.  Do the
other distributions do anything to set up SSL certificates, etc on
install?  Perhaps they could be convinced to?
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/12/12 4:25 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> >Unless we can give people a "run these three commands on each server and
>> >you're now SSL authenticating" script, we can continue to expect the
>> >majority of users not to use SSL.  And I don't think that level of
>> >simplicity is even theoretically possible.
> The Debian-based packages do quite a bit to ease this pain.  Do the
> other distributions do anything to set up SSL certificates, etc on
> install?  Perhaps they could be convinced to?

don't forget, there's OS's other than Linux to consider too... the
various BSD's, Solaris, AIX, OSX, and MS Windows are all platforms
PostgreSQL runs on.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Darren Duncan
Дата:
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote:
>> Problem is, the fact that setting up SSL correctly is hard is outside of
>> our control.
>
> Agreed, though the packagers do make it easier..
>
>> Unless we can give people a "run these three commands on each server and
>> you're now SSL authenticating" script, we can continue to expect the
>> majority of users not to use SSL.  And I don't think that level of
>> simplicity is even theoretically possible.
>
> The Debian-based packages do quite a bit to ease this pain.  Do the
> other distributions do anything to set up SSL certificates, etc on
> install?  Perhaps they could be convinced to?

This has bit me.

At my work we started a project on Debian, using the
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze-backports/ version of Postgres 9.1, and it
included the SSL out of the box, just install that regular Postgres or Pg client
package and SSL was ready to go.

And now we're migrating to Red Hat for the production launch, using the
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ packages for Postgres 9.1, and
these do *not* include the SSL.

This change has been a pain, as we then disabled SSL when we otherwise would
have used it.

(Though all database access would be over a private server-server network, so
the situation isn't as bad as going over the public internet.)

How much trouble would it be to make the
http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ packages include SSL?

-- Darren Duncan

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 10/12/12 9:00 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> And now we're migrating to Red Hat for the production launch, using
> the http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ packages for
> Postgres 9.1, and these do *not* include the SSL.

hmm?  I'm using the 9.1 for CentOS 6(RHEL 6) and libpq.so certainly has
libssl3.so, etc as references.  ditto the postmaster/postgres main
program has libssl3.so too.   maybe your certificate chains don't come
pre-built, I dunno, I haven't dealt with that end of things.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Darren Duncan
Дата:
John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/12/12 9:00 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> And now we're migrating to Red Hat for the production launch, using
>> the http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ packages for
>> Postgres 9.1, and these do *not* include the SSL.
>
> hmm?  I'm using the 9.1 for CentOS 6(RHEL 6) and libpq.so certainly has
> libssl3.so, etc as references.  ditto the postmaster/postgres main
> program has libssl3.so too.   maybe your certificate chains don't come
> pre-built, I dunno, I haven't dealt with that end of things.

Okay, I'll have to look into that.  All I know is out of the box SSL just worked
on Debian and it didn't on Red Hat; trying to enable SSL on out of the box
Postgres on Red Hat gave a fatal error on server start, at the very least
needing the installation of SSL keys/certs, which I didn't have to do on Debian.
-- Darren Duncan

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 10/13/2012 01:55 AM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 10/12/12 9:00 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>>> And now we're migrating to Red Hat for the production launch, using
>>> the http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ packages for
>>> Postgres 9.1, and these do *not* include the SSL.
>>
>> hmm?  I'm using the 9.1 for CentOS 6(RHEL 6) and libpq.so certainly
>> has libssl3.so, etc as references.  ditto the postmaster/postgres
>> main program has libssl3.so too.   maybe your certificate chains
>> don't come pre-built, I dunno, I haven't dealt with that end of things.
>
> Okay, I'll have to look into that.  All I know is out of the box SSL
> just worked on Debian and it didn't on Red Hat; trying to enable SSL
> on out of the box Postgres on Red Hat gave a fatal error on server
> start, at the very least needing the installation of SSL keys/certs,
> which I didn't have to do on Debian. -- Darren Duncan
.
Of course RedHat RPMs are build with SSL.

Does Debian they create a self-signed certificate? If so, count me as
unimpressed. I'd argue that's worse than doing nothing. Here's what the
docs say (rightly) about such certificates:
   A self-signed certificate can be used for testing, but a certificate   signed by a certificate authority (CA)
(eitherone of the global CAs   or a local one) should be used in production so that clients can   verify the server's
identity.If all the clients are local to the   organization, using a local CA is recommended.

Creation of properly signed certificates is entirely outside the scope
of Postgres, and I would not expect packagers to do it. I have created a
local CA for RedHat and friends any number of times, and created signed
certs for Postgres, both server and client, using them. It's not
terribly hard.

cheers

andrew

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Andrew Dunstan (andrew@dunslane.net) wrote:
> Does Debian they create a self-signed certificate? If so, count me
> as unimpressed. I'd argue that's worse than doing nothing. Here's
> what the docs say (rightly) about such certificates:

Self-signed certificates do provide for in-transit encryption.  I agree
that they don't provide a guarantee of the remote side being who you
think it is, but setting up a MITA attack is more difficult than
eavesdropping on a connection and more likely to be noticed.

You can, of course, set up your own CA and sign certs off of it under
Debian as well.  Unfortunately, most end users aren't going to do that.
Many of those same do benefit from at least having an encrypted
connection when it's all done for them.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> 1. Salt length. Greg Stark calculated the odds of salt collisions here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-08/msg01540.php. It's not
> too bad as it is, and as Greg pointed out, if you can eavesdrop it's likely
> you can also hijack an already established connection. Nevertheless I think
> we should make the salt longer, say, 16 bytes.

Fwiw that calculation was based on the rule of thumb that a collision
is likely when you have sqrt(hash space) elements. Wikipedia has a
better formula which comes up with 77,163.

For 16 bytes that formula gives 2,171,938,135,516,356,249 salts before
you expect a collision.

--
greg

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Daniel Farina
Дата:
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Does Debian they create a self-signed certificate? If so, count me as
> unimpressed. I'd argue that's worse than doing nothing. Here's what the docs
> say (rightly) about such certificates:

Debian will give you a self signed certificate by default.  Protecting
against passive eavesdroppers is not an inconsiderable benefit to get
for "free", and definitely not a marginal attack technique: it's
probably the most common.

For what they can possibly know about the end user, Debian has it right here.

--
fdr

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>> Does Debian they create a self-signed certificate? If so, count me as
>> unimpressed. I'd argue that's worse than doing nothing. Here's what the docs
>> say (rightly) about such certificates:
>
> Debian will give you a self signed certificate by default.  Protecting
> against passive eavesdroppers is not an inconsiderable benefit to get
> for "free", and definitely not a marginal attack technique: it's
> probably the most common.
>
> For what they can possibly know about the end user, Debian has it right here.

There's a lot of shades of gray to that one. Way too many to say
they're right *or* wrong, IMHO.

It *does* make people think they have "full ssl security by default",
which they *don't*.They do have partial protection, which helps in
some (fairly common) scenarios. But if you compare it to the
requirements that people *do* have when they use SSL, it usually
*doesn't* protect them the whole way - but they get the illusion that
it does. Sure, they'd have to read up on the details in order to get
secure whether it's on by default or not - that's why I think it's
hard to call it either right or wrong, but it's rather somewhere in
between.

They also enable things like encryption on all localhost connections.
I consider that plain wrong, regardless. Though it provides for some
easy "performance tuning" for consultants...

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Daniel Farina
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> There's a lot of shades of gray to that one. Way too many to say
> they're right *or* wrong, IMHO.

We can agree it is 'sub-ideal', but there is not one doubt in my mind
that it is not 'right' given the scope of Debian's task,  which does
*not* include pushing applied cryptography beyond its current pitiful
state.

Debian not making self-signed certs available by default will just
result in a huge amount of plaintext database authentication and
traffic available over the internet, especially when you consider the
sslmode=prefer default, and as a result eliminate protection from the
most common class of attack for users with low-value (or just
low-vigilance) use cases.  In aggregate, that is important, because
there are a lot of them.

It would be a net disaster for security.

> It *does* make people think they have "full ssl security by default",
> which they *don't*.They do have partial protection, which helps in
> some (fairly common) scenarios. But if you compare it to the
> requirements that people *do* have when they use SSL, it usually
> *doesn't* protect them the whole way - but they get the illusion that
> it does. Sure, they'd have to read up on the details in order to get
> secure whether it's on by default or not - that's why I think it's
> hard to call it either right or wrong, but it's rather somewhere in
> between.

If there is such blame to go around, I place such blame squarely on
clients.  More secure is the JDBC library, which makes you opt into
logging into a server that has no verified identity via configuration.The problem there is that it's a pain to get
signedcerts in, say, a

test environment, so "don't check certs" will make its way into the
default configuration, and now you have all pain and no gain.

--
fdr

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Will Crawford
Дата:
On 14 October 2012 22:17, Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> wrote:

>  The problem there is that it's a pain to get signed certs in, say, a
> test environment, so "don't check certs" will make its way into the
> default configuration, and now you have all pain and no gain.

This is precisely the issue that Debian deals with in providing the
"default Snake Oil" certificate; software development teams -
especially small shops with one or two developers - don't want to
spend time learning about CAs and creating their own, etc, and often
their managers would see this as wasted time for setting up
development environments and staging systems. Not saying they're
right, of course; but it can be an uphill struggle, and as long as you
get a real certificate for your production environment, it's hard to
see what harm this (providing the "snake oil" certificate) actually
causes.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Will Crawford
<billcrawford1970@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 October 2012 22:17, Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com> wrote:
>
>>  The problem there is that it's a pain to get signed certs in, say, a
>> test environment, so "don't check certs" will make its way into the
>> default configuration, and now you have all pain and no gain.
>
> This is precisely the issue that Debian deals with in providing the
> "default Snake Oil" certificate; software development teams -
> especially small shops with one or two developers - don't want to
> spend time learning about CAs and creating their own, etc, and often
> their managers would see this as wasted time for setting up
> development environments and staging systems. Not saying they're
> right, of course; but it can be an uphill struggle, and as long as you
> get a real certificate for your production environment, it's hard to
> see what harm this (providing the "snake oil" certificate) actually
> causes.

I don't see a problem at all with providing the snakeoil cert. In
fact, it's quite useful.

I see a problem with enabling it by default. Because it makes people
think they are more secure than they are.

In a browser, they will get a big fat warning every time, so they will
know it. There is no such warning in psql. Actually, maybe we should
*add* such a warning. We could do it in psql. We can't do it in libpq
for everyone, but we can do it in our own tools... Particularly since
we do print the SSL information already - we could just add a
"warning: cert not verified" or something like that to the same piece
of information.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 09:55:50AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I don't see a problem at all with providing the snakeoil cert. In
> fact, it's quite useful.
>
> I see a problem with enabling it by default. Because it makes people
> think they are more secure than they are.

So, what you're suggesting is that any use of ssl to a remote machine
without the sslrootcert option should generate a warning.  Something
along the lines of "remote server not verified"?  For completeness it
should also show this for any non-SSL connection.

libpq should export a "serververified" flag which would be false always
unless the connection is SSL and the CA is verified .

> In a browser, they will get a big fat warning every time, so they will
> know it. There is no such warning in psql. Actually, maybe we should
> *add* such a warning. We could do it in psql. We can't do it in libpq
> for everyone, but we can do it in our own tools... Particularly since
> we do print the SSL information already - we could just add a
> "warning: cert not verified" or something like that to the same piece
> of information.

It bugs me every time you have to jump through hoops and get red
warnings for an unknown CA, whereas no encryption whatsoever is treated
as fine while being actually even worse.

Transport encryption is a *good thing*, we should be encouraging it
wherever possible. If it wern't for the performance issues I'd suggest
defaulting to SSL everywhere transparently with ephemeral certs. It
would protect against any number of passive attacks.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.  -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

Дата:
> I don't see a problem at all with providing the snakeoil cert. In
> fact, it's quite useful.

> I see a problem with enabling it by default. Because it makes people
> think they are more secure than they are.

I am far from an SSL expert, but I had the idea that the only problem
with a self-signed cert is that the client can't trace it to a trusted
cert --- so if the user took the further step of copying the cert to the
client machines' ~/.postgresql/root.crt files, wouldn't things be just
fine?

> In a browser, they will get a big fat warning every time, so they will
> know it. There is no such warning in psql. Actually, maybe we should
> *add* such a warning. We could do it in psql. We can't do it in libpq
> for everyone, but we can do it in our own tools... Particularly since
> we do print the SSL information already - we could just add a
> "warning: cert not verified" or something like that to the same piece
> of information.

No objection to that.  I do have an objection to trying to force people
to use SSL, which is how I read some of the other proposals in this
thread --- but if they are already choosing to use SSL, and it's not as
secure as it could be, some sort of notice seems reasonable.

What happens in the other direction, ie if a client presents a
self-signed cert that the server can't verify?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout
<kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
> It bugs me every time you have to jump through hoops and get red
> warnings for an unknown CA, whereas no encryption whatsoever is treated
> as fine while being actually even worse.

+1.  Amen, brother.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 10/22/2012 10:18 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout
> <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
>> It bugs me every time you have to jump through hoops and get red
>> warnings for an unknown CA, whereas no encryption whatsoever is treated
>> as fine while being actually even worse.
> +1.  Amen, brother.

Not really, IMNSHO. The difference is that an unencrypted session isn't
pretending to be secure. In any case, it doesn't seem too intrusive for
us to warn, at least in psql, with something like:
    SSL connection (cipher: DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits: 256) Host
Certificate Unverified

If people want to get more paranoid they can always set PGSSLMODE to
verify-ca or verify-full.

cheers

andrew

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 10/12/12 3:44 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> wrt future-proofing, I don't like the "#-of-iterations" approach.  There
> are a number of examples of how to deal with multiple encryption types
> being supported by a protocol, I'd expect hash'ing could be done in the
> same way.  For example, Negotiate, SSL, Kerberos, GSSAPI, all have ways
> of dealing with multiple encryption/hashing options being supported.
> Multiple iterations could be supported through that same mechanism (as
> des/des3 were both supported by Kerberos for quite some time).
>
> In general, I think it's good to build on existing implementations where
> possible.  Perhaps we could even consider using something which already
> exists for this?

Sounds like SASL to me.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
> On 10/12/12 3:44 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > In general, I think it's good to build on existing implementations where
> > possible.  Perhaps we could even consider using something which already
> > exists for this?
>
> Sounds like SASL to me.

aiui, that would allow us to support SCRAM and we could support
Kerberos/GSSAPI under SASL as well...  Not sure how comfortable folks
would be with moving to that though.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 10:18 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout
>> <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It bugs me every time you have to jump through hoops and get red
>>> warnings for an unknown CA, whereas no encryption whatsoever is treated
>>> as fine while being actually even worse.
>>
>> +1.  Amen, brother.
>
> Not really, IMNSHO. The difference is that an unencrypted session isn't
> pretending to be secure. In any case, it doesn't seem too intrusive for us
> to warn, at least in psql, with something like:
>
>     SSL connection (cipher: DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits: 256) Host Certificate
> Unverified

Well, that change wouldn't bother me at all; in fact, I like it.  But
Firefox, for example, makes me do three or four clicks every time I
got to a website with an invalid SSL certificate, whereas a web site
that does not use SSL requires no clicks at all.  What's the sense in
that?  If we imagine that all activity is user-initiated - that is,
the user is always careful to ask for SSL when and only when they need
a higher level of security - then that's pretty sensible.  But in fact
the world doesn't work that way.  Most web pages are downloaded
automatically when you click on a link, and you don't normally look to
see whether SSL is in use unless you have a security concern (e.g.
because you are logging into your bank's web site).  If somebody went
and trojaned my bank's web page, they wouldn't need to break the SSL
certificate; they could just remove SSL from the login page
altogether.  Odds are very good that 95% of people wouldn't notice.

I think it's great to have a full-paranoia mode where anything not
kosher on the SSL connection is grounds for extreme panic.  But it
shouldn't be the default.  What Ubuntu is doing does not solve every
problem, but it does solve some problems, and we shouldn't go out of
our way to break it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Marko Kreen
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Marko Kreen (markokr@gmail.com) wrote:
>> As it works only on connect
>> time, it can actually be secure, unlike user switching
>> with SET ROLE.
>
> I'm guessing your issue with SET ROLE is that a RESET ROLE can be issued
> later..?  If so, I'd suggest that we look at fixing that, but realize it
> could break poolers.  For that matter, I'm not sure how the proposal to
> allow connections to be authenticated as one user but authorized as
> another (which we actually already support in some cases, eg: peer)
> *wouldn't* break poolers, unless you're suggesting they either use a
> separate connection for every user, or reconnect every time, both of
> which strike me as defeating a great deal of the point of having a
> pooler in the first place...

The point of pooler is to cache things.  The TCP connection
is only one thing to be cached, all the backend-internal
caches are as interesting - prepared plans, compiled functions.

The fact that on role reset you need to drop all those things
is what is breaking pooling.

Of course, I'm speaking only about high-performance situations.
Maybe there are cases where indeed the authenticated
TCP connection is only interesting to be cached.
Eg. with dumb client with raw sql only, where there
is nothing to cache in backend.  But it does not seem
like primary scenario we should optimize for.

--
marko

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Marko Kreen
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
> The SCRAM looks good from the quick glance.

SCRAM does have weakness - the info necessary to log in
as client (ClientKey) is exposed during authentication
process.

IOW, the stored auth info can be used to log in as client,
if the attacker can listen on or participate in login process.
The random nonces used during auth do not matter,
what matters is that the target server has same StoredKey
(same password, salt and iter).

It seems this particular attack is avoided by SRP.

This weakness can be seen as feature tho - it can be
used by poolers to "cache" auth info and re-connect
to server later.  They need full access to stored keys still.

But it does make it give different security guaratees
depending whether SSL is in use or not.

--
marko

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I don't see a problem at all with providing the snakeoil cert. In
>> fact, it's quite useful.
>
>> I see a problem with enabling it by default. Because it makes people
>> think they are more secure than they are.
>
> I am far from an SSL expert, but I had the idea that the only problem
> with a self-signed cert is that the client can't trace it to a trusted
> cert --- so if the user took the further step of copying the cert to the
> client machines' ~/.postgresql/root.crt files, wouldn't things be just
> fine?

I'm not sure if server certs are supposed to go in the root.crt file
or somewhere else. It's a bit tricky to distribute them securely but
most people will just scp them and call that good since they ignore
the ssh host key messages anyways.

Fwiw the main problem here is that you're vulnerable to a MitM attack.
In theory we could work around that by doing something like encrypting
the ssl public key in a key based on a query provided by the user.
That query would have to include some server data that the client can
predict and that only the correct server would have access to. There
are obvious problems with this though and inventing our own security
protocol is almost certainly a bad idea even if we can fix them.

>> In a browser, they will get a big fat warning every time, so they will
>> know it. There is no such warning in psql. Actually, maybe we should
>> *add* such a warning. We could do it in psql. We can't do it in libpq
>> for everyone, but we can do it in our own tools... Particularly since
>> we do print the SSL information already - we could just add a
>> "warning: cert not verified" or something like that to the same piece
>> of information.

I think we can provide a much better warning however. I think we want
something like 'WARNING: Server identity signed by unknown and
untrusted authority "Snakeoil CA"'

We could go even further:
INFO: Server identity "ACME Debian Machine" certified by "Snakeoil CA"
WARNING: Server identity signed by unknown and untrusted authority "Snakeoil CA"
HINT: Add either the server certificate or the CA certificate to
"/usr/lib/ssl/certs" after verifying the identity and certificate hash

SSL is notoriously hard to set up, it would go a long way to give the
sysadmin an immediate pointer to what certificates are being used and
where to find or install the CA certs. It might be worth mentioning
the GUC parameter names to control these things too.

> What happens in the other direction, ie if a client presents a
> self-signed cert that the server can't verify?

Surely that's just a failure. The server always expects client
authentication and a connection authenticated using an unverified cert
could be anyone at all. Clients traditionally didn't authenticate the
server until encrypted connections entered the picture and preventing
MitM attacks became relevant.

--
greg

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Daniel Farina
> INFO: Server identity "ACME Debian Machine" certified by "Snakeoil CA"
> WARNING: Server identity signed by unknown and untrusted authority "Snakeoil CA"
> HINT: Add either the server certificate or the CA certificate to
> "/usr/lib/ssl/certs" after verifying the identity and certificate hash
>
> SSL is notoriously hard to set up, it would go a long way to give the
> sysadmin an immediate pointer to what certificates are being used and
> where to find or install the CA certs. It might be worth mentioning
> the GUC parameter names to control these things too.

Are the possible locations of certs that libpq reads in always so
short and definitive?  Is it clear that the user would always want to
fix the cert situation in that way?  What if they don't have file
system access to the remote database and would like to learn its
public key anyway (ala SSH trust on first use).

Overall, I do very much like the sentiment: less guesswork around
where the heck to put things or what to search for in documentation.

--
fdr

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
> I think we can provide a much better warning however. I think we want
> something like 'WARNING: Server identity signed by unknown and
> untrusted authority "Snakeoil CA"'
>
> We could go even further:
> INFO: Server identity "ACME Debian Machine" certified by "Snakeoil CA"
> WARNING: Server identity signed by unknown and untrusted authority "Snakeoil CA"
> HINT: Add either the server certificate or the CA certificate to
> "/usr/lib/ssl/certs" after verifying the identity and certificate hash
>
> SSL is notoriously hard to set up, it would go a long way to give the
> sysadmin an immediate pointer to what certificates are being used and
> where to find or install the CA certs. It might be worth mentioning
> the GUC parameter names to control these things too.

Yeah, this seems like a nice idea if we can do it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 10/22/12 1:25 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
>> On 10/12/12 3:44 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>>> In general, I think it's good to build on existing implementations where
>>> possible.  Perhaps we could even consider using something which already
>>> exists for this?
>>
>> Sounds like SASL to me.
>
> aiui, that would allow us to support SCRAM and we could support
> Kerberos/GSSAPI under SASL as well...  Not sure how comfortable folks
> would be with moving to that though.

Considering all the design and implementation challenges that have been
brought up in this thread:

- not using MD5

- not using whatever we replace MD5 with when that gets broken

- content of pg_shadow can be used to log in

- questions about salt collisions

- making the hash more expensive

- negotiating how much more expensive, allowing changes in the future

- using HMAC to guard against length-extension attacks

- support for poolers/proxies

I think I would be less comfortable with a hand-crafted solution to each
of these issues, and would be more comfortable with using an existing
solution that, from the look of it, already does all of that, and which
is used by mail and LDAP servers everywhere.

That said, I don't have any experience programming SASL clients or
servers, only managing existing implementations.  But I'd say it's
definitely worth a look.

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
(reviving an old thread)

On 23.10.2012 19:53, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 10/22/12 1:25 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> * Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds like SASL to me.
>>
>> aiui, that would allow us to support SCRAM and we could support
>> Kerberos/GSSAPI under SASL as well...  Not sure how comfortable folks
>> would be with moving to that though.
>
> Considering all the design and implementation challenges that have been
> brought up in this thread:
>
> - not using MD5
>
> - not using whatever we replace MD5 with when that gets broken
>
> - content of pg_shadow can be used to log in
>
> - questions about salt collisions
>
> - making the hash more expensive
>
> - negotiating how much more expensive, allowing changes in the future
>
> - using HMAC to guard against length-extension attacks
>
> - support for poolers/proxies
>
> I think I would be less comfortable with a hand-crafted solution to each
> of these issues, and would be more comfortable with using an existing
> solution that, from the look of it, already does all of that, and which
> is used by mail and LDAP servers everywhere.
>
> That said, I don't have any experience programming SASL clients or
> servers, only managing existing implementations.  But I'd say it's
> definitely worth a look.

SASL seems like a good approach to me. The SASL specification leaves it
up to the application protocol how the SASL messages are transported.
Each application protocol that uses SASL defines a "SASL profile", which
specifies that. So for PostgreSQL, we would need to document how to do
SASL authentication. That's pretty straightforward, the SASL messages
can be carried in Authentication and PasswordMessage messages, just like
we do for GSS.

SASL specifies several "methods", like PLAIN and GSSAPI. It also has a
couple of methods that use MD5, which probably could be used with the
hashes we already store in pg_authid. I believe we could map all the
existing authentication methods to SASL methods. In the distant future,
we could deprecate and remove the existing built-in authentication
handshakes, and always use SASL for authentication.

The SASL specification is quite simple, so I think we could easily
implement it ourselves without relying on an external library, for the
authentication methods we already support. That doesn't buy us much, but
would be required if we want to always use SASL for authentication. On
top of that, we could also provide a configure option to use an external
SASL library, which could provide more exotic authentication methods.

Now, to a completely different approach:

I just found out that OpenSSL has added support for SRP in version
1.0.1. We're already using OpenSSL, so all we need to do is to provide a
couple of callbacks to OpenSSL, and store SRP verifiers in pg_authid
instead of MD5 hashes, and we're golden.

Well, not quite. There's one little problem: Currently, we first
initialize SSL, then read the startup packet which contains the username
and database to connect to. After that, we initialize database access to
the specified database, and only then we proceed with authentication.
That's not a problem for certificate authentication, because certificate
authentication doesn't require any database access, but if we are to
store the SRP verifiers in pg_authid, we'll need to database access much
earlier. Before we know which database to connect to.

But that's just an implementation detail - no protocol changes would be
required.

- Heikki

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
On 09/12/2013 09:10 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Now, to a completely different approach:
>
> I just found out that OpenSSL has added support for SRP in version
> 1.0.1. We're already using OpenSSL, so all we need to do is to provide
> a couple of callbacks to OpenSSL, and store SRP verifiers in pg_authid
> instead of MD5 hashes, and we're golden.
>
> Well, not quite. There's one little problem: Currently, we first
> initialize SSL, then read the startup packet which contains the
> username and database to connect to. After that, we initialize
> database access to the specified database, and only then we proceed
> with authentication. That's not a problem for certificate
> authentication, because certificate authentication doesn't require any
> database access, but if we are to store the SRP verifiers in
> pg_authid, we'll need to database access much earlier. Before we know
> which database to connect to.

You forgot to mention that we'd actually like to get away from being
tied closely to OpenSSL because it has caused license grief in the past
(not to mention that it's fairly dirty to manage).

cheers

andrew

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Andrew Dunstan (andrew@dunslane.net) wrote:
> You forgot to mention that we'd actually like to get away from being
> tied closely to OpenSSL because it has caused license grief in the
> past (not to mention that it's fairly dirty to manage).

While I agree with this sentiment (and have complained bitterly about
OpenSSL's license in the past), I'd rather see us implement this
(perhaps with a shim layer, if that's possible/sensible) even if
only OpenSSL is supported than to not have the capability at all.  It
seems highly unlikely we'd ever be able to drop support for OpenSSL
completely; we've certainly not made any progress towards that and I
don't think forgoing adding new features would make such a change any
more or less likely to happen.
Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 12.09.2013 17:30, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 09/12/2013 09:10 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>
>> I just found out that OpenSSL has added support for SRP in version
>> 1.0.1. We're already using OpenSSL, so all we need to do is to provide
>> a couple of callbacks to OpenSSL, and store SRP verifiers in pg_authid
>> instead of MD5 hashes, and we're golden.
>>
>> Well, not quite. There's one little problem: Currently, we first
>> initialize SSL, then read the startup packet which contains the
>> username and database to connect to. After that, we initialize
>> database access to the specified database, and only then we proceed
>> with authentication. That's not a problem for certificate
>> authentication, because certificate authentication doesn't require any
>> database access, but if we are to store the SRP verifiers in
>> pg_authid, we'll need to database access much earlier. Before we know
>> which database to connect to.
>
> You forgot to mention that we'd actually like to get away from being
> tied closely to OpenSSL because it has caused license grief in the past
> (not to mention that it's fairly dirty to manage).

Yeah. I've been looking more closely at the SRP API in OpenSSL; it's
completely undocumented. There are examples on the web and mailing lists
on how to use it, but no documentation. Hopefully that gets fixed
eventually.

GnuTLS also supports SRP. They even have documentation for it :-). The
API is slightly different than OpenSSL's, but not radically so. If we
are to start supporting multiple TLS libraries, we're going to need some
kind of a shim layer to abstract away the differences. Writing such a
shim for the SRP stuff wouldn't be much additional effort, once you have
the shim for all the other stuff in place.

- Heikki

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 12.09.2013 17:30, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>> On 09/12/2013 09:10 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>>

>>> I just found out that OpenSSL has added support for SRP in version
>>> 1.0.1. We're already using OpenSSL, so all we need to do is to provide
>>> a couple of callbacks to OpenSSL, and store SRP verifiers in pg_authid
>>> instead of MD5 hashes, and we're golden.
>>>
>>> Well, not quite. There's one little problem: Currently, we first
>>> initialize SSL, then read the startup packet which contains the
>>> username and database to connect to. After that, we initialize
>>> database access to the specified database, and only then we proceed
>>> with authentication. That's not a problem for certificate
>>> authentication, because certificate authentication doesn't require any
>>> database access, but if we are to store the SRP verifiers in
>>> pg_authid, we'll need to database access much earlier. Before we know
>>> which database to connect to.
>>

>> You forgot to mention that we'd actually like to get away from being
>> tied closely to OpenSSL because it has caused license grief in the past
>> (not to mention that it's fairly dirty to manage).
>

> Yeah. I've been looking more closely at the SRP API in OpenSSL; it's
> completely undocumented. There are examples on the web and mailing lists on
> how to use it, but no documentation. Hopefully that gets fixed eventually.

Well, undocumented and OpenSSL tend to go hand in hand a lot. Or,
well, it might be documented, but not in a useful way. I wouldn't
count on it.

> GnuTLS also supports SRP. They even have documentation for it :-). The API
> is slightly different than OpenSSL's, but not radically so. If we are to
> start supporting multiple TLS libraries, we're going to need some kind of a
> shim layer to abstract away the differences. Writing such a shim for the SRP
> stuff wouldn't be much additional effort, once you have the shim for all the
> other stuff in place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Remote_Password_protocol#Real_world_implementations

That does not paint a very good pictures. I'd say the most likely
library that we'd *want* instead of openssl is NSS, if we have to pick
one of the big ones. Or one of the newer implementations that are a
lot more focused and lean. And none of them support SRP.

I fear starting to use that is going to make it even harder to break
out from our openssl dependency, which people do complain about at
least semi-regularly.

I wonder how much work it would be to build something on top of lower
level primitives that are provided in them all. For example,
https://github.com/cocagne/csrp/ implements it on top of openssl, and
it's around 1000 LOC (bsd licensed). And that's generic - it might
well be shorter if we do something ourselves. And if it's BSD
licensed, we could import.. (And then extend to run on top of other
cyrpto libraries, of course)

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Well, undocumented and OpenSSL tend to go hand in hand a lot. Or,
> well, it might be documented, but not in a useful way. I wouldn't
> count on it.

The OpenSSL code is some of the worst-formatted spaghetti code I've
ever seen, and the reason I know that is because whenever I try to do
anything with OpenSSL I generally end up having to read it, precisely
because, as you say, the documentation is extremely incomplete.  I
hate to be critical of other projects, but everything I've ever done
with OpenSSL has been difficult, and I really think we should try to
get less dependent on it rather than more.

> I fear starting to use that is going to make it even harder to break
> out from our openssl dependency, which people do complain about at
> least semi-regularly.

+1.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Successor of MD5 authentication, let's use SCRAM

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Well, undocumented and OpenSSL tend to go hand in hand a lot. Or,
>> well, it might be documented, but not in a useful way. I wouldn't
>> count on it.
>
> The OpenSSL code is some of the worst-formatted spaghetti code I've
> ever seen, and the reason I know that is because whenever I try to do
> anything with OpenSSL I generally end up having to read it, precisely
> because, as you say, the documentation is extremely incomplete.  I
> hate to be critical of other projects, but everything I've ever done
> with OpenSSL has been difficult, and I really think we should try to
> get less dependent on it rather than more.

I have nothing exciting to add but I happened to be reading this old
thread and thought the above post was relevant again these days.

--
greg