Обсуждение: filenames in pg_basebackup

filenames in pg_basebackup

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

I notice that pg_basebackup has lots of messages where file names are
not in quotes.  Is this okay?

There's also this one which is probably against our conventions:
#: pg_receivexlog.c:181
#, c-format
msgid "%s: segment file '%s' is incorrect size %d, skipping\n"

I also wonder about "is" vs. "has" in the above message.

There's also a --help line that's too long.

Apparently, this needs a thorough revision ...

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>

Re: filenames in pg_basebackup

Дата:
> I notice that pg_basebackup has lots of messages where file names are
> not in quotes.  Is this okay?

They should be in double quotes, per our message style guidelines.

> msgid "%s: segment file '%s' is incorrect size %d, skipping\n"
> I also wonder about "is" vs. "has" in the above message.

Yeah, "has" would be more correct.

> Apparently, this needs a thorough revision ...

Evidently.  Peter tends to see to that sort of thing while he works on
translations, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind some help.
        regards, tom lane

Re: filenames in pg_basebackup

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mié jul 25 16:25:36 -0400 2012:

> > Apparently, this needs a thorough revision ...
>
> Evidently.  Peter tends to see to that sort of thing while he works on
> translations, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind some help.

Here's an attempt at that.

One thing I'm not clear about is the "WAL file" vs "transaction log
file" terminology.  We use both in various error messages.  Do we want
to consistently use one?  It seems to me that we're using the very
verbose "transaction log" phrase just to avoid exposing users to the
"WAL" acronym, but that's probably a lost cause.  We also have the issue
of calling those files "files" or "segments".  I understand that
internally we don't want to confuse them, but I don't see that the
distinction makes any sense to users.

Re: filenames in pg_basebackup

Дата:
> One thing I'm not clear about is the "WAL file" vs "transaction log
> file" terminology.  We use both in various error messages.  Do we want
> to consistently use one?  It seems to me that we're using the very
> verbose "transaction log" phrase just to avoid exposing users to the
> "WAL" acronym, but that's probably a lost cause.  We also have the issue
> of calling those files "files" or "segments".  I understand that
> internally we don't want to confuse them, but I don't see that the
> distinction makes any sense to users.

Yeah, we did talk about that a bit when Heikki was working on the
64-bit-XLogPointer changes.  AFAIR, there was general consensus that
it'd be better to standardize on one terminology, but little agreement
on which wording to use :-(.  I'd say review the thread and pick one.
He who does the work gets to make the decision.
        regards, tom lane

Re: filenames in pg_basebackup

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of mié jul 25 18:23:46 -0400 2012:
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mié jul 25 16:25:36 -0400 2012:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
>
> > > Apparently, this needs a thorough revision ...
> >
> > Evidently.  Peter tends to see to that sort of thing while he works on
> > translations, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind some help.
>
> Here's an attempt at that.

One more thing.  There are new switches for the interval of status
messages in pg_basebackup and pg_receivexlog.  They are
--statusint=INTERVAL.  I find this rather ugly, and we tend to avoid
abbreviations.  I propose --status-interval=INTERVAL instead.

Re: filenames in pg_basebackup

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of mié jul 25 18:23:46 -0400 2012:
>> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mié jul 25 16:25:36 -0400 2012:

>> > Evidently.  Peter tends to see to that sort of thing while he works on
>> > translations, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind some help.
>>
>> Here's an attempt at that.
>
> One more thing.  There are new switches for the interval of status
> messages in pg_basebackup and pg_receivexlog.  They are
> --statusint=INTERVAL.  I find this rather ugly, and we tend to avoid
> abbreviations.  I propose --status-interval=INTERVAL instead.

+1

And --noloop should be --no-loop in pg_receivexlog?

Fujii Masao

Re: filenames in pg_basebackup

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>
>> Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of mié jul 25 18:23:46 -0400 2012:
>>> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mié jul 25 16:25:36 -0400 2012:

>>> Here's an attempt at that.
>>
>> One more thing.  There are new switches for the interval of status
>> messages in pg_basebackup and pg_receivexlog.  They are
>> --statusint=INTERVAL.  I find this rather ugly, and we tend to avoid
>> abbreviations.  I propose --status-interval=INTERVAL instead.
>
> +1
>
> And --noloop should be --no-loop in pg_receivexlog?

Or maybe --no-retry.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company