Обсуждение: Issues with MinGW W64

Issues with MinGW W64

От
"Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson"
Дата:
Hi all,

I am using MingW W64 from SVN, version 3.0 beta-ish.

There are few issues when compiling Postgres with MingW W64.  There was
a patch submitted to this list in July 2011 but it does not address
these issues (that I can tell).  The following applies to both 32 and 64
bit builds.
                                 ----

The header file crtdefs.h in MinGW typedefs errcode which conflicts with
Postgres' elog.h.

#ifndef __ERRCODE_DEFINED_MS
#define __ERRCODE_DEFINED_MS
typedef int errcode;
#endif

The previous patch #undef'ed errcode, which is probably not going to
help here.  I added CPPFLAGS=-D__ERRCODE_DEFINED_MS to the configure
line to work around this.

How would a proper patch deal with this?  Add an explicit #define when
MinGW W64 is detected?
                                 ----

MinGW W64's sys/stat.h #defines stat to be _stati64 and there is
subsequently a compilation error in port.h:

note: expected 'struct _stati64 *' but argument is of type 'struct stat *'
error: conflicting types for 'pgwin32_safestat'

As stupid as it is, I added #undef stat immediately after including
sys/stat.h in port.h:

#if defined(WIN32) && !defined(__CYGWIN__) && !defined(UNSAFE_STAT_OK)
#include <sys/stat.h>
#undef stat
extern int      pgwin32_safestat(const char *path, struct stat * buf);

#define stat(a,b) pgwin32_safestat(a,b)
#endif

Though I might have tried -DUNSAFE_STAT_OK too, but didn't.

NOTE: I'm compiling Postgres exclusively to cross compile PL/Java and
run time behaviour is not a concern of mine.

I am not sure what macro magic would be proper here.  Comments welcome.
                                 ----

There are series of redefined macros from the MinGW W64 CRT.

In pg_config_os:

warning: "_WIN32_WINNT" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "fseeko" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "ftello" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "EMSGSIZE" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "EAFNOSUPPORT" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "EWOULDBLOCK" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "ECONNRESET" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "EINPROGRESS" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "ENOBUFS" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "EPROTONOSUPPORT" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "ECONNREFUSED" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "EOPNOTSUPP" redefined [enabled by default]

In port.h:

warning: "popen" redefined [enabled by default]
warning: "pclose" redefined [enabled by default]

And possibly some more.  Do we need these redefines?
                                 ----

I'm willing to work on some (if not all) of these issues with proper
guidance.

--   Johann Oskarsson                http://www.2ndquadrant.com/    |[]  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training
andServices  --+--                                                                 |  Blog:
http://my.opera.com/myrkraverk/blog/

Re: Issues with MinGW W64

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
<johann@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The header file crtdefs.h in MinGW typedefs errcode which conflicts with
> Postgres' elog.h.
>
> #ifndef __ERRCODE_DEFINED_MS
> #define __ERRCODE_DEFINED_MS
> typedef int errcode;
> #endif

Eep.  Maybe this is not directly relevant, but I guess my first
question is: why is MinGW doing that?  It seems like pretty bad form
to go around defining identifiers that user code might be using for
other purposes.  We could fix this in our code by, say, changing
errcode to pgerrcode everywhere, but that would be fairly invasive,
and I don't in general want to start putting "pg" in front of every
identifier we use just in case the operating system happens to want to
grab that symbol unannounced for some unrelated purpose.

> MinGW W64's sys/stat.h #defines stat to be _stati64 and there is
> subsequently a compilation error in port.h:
>
> note: expected 'struct _stati64 *' but argument is of type 'struct stat *'
> error: conflicting types for 'pgwin32_safestat'

In this case, I really think we ought to change all backend calls that
hit stat() to use something like pgstat() instead.  Just as the
operating system shouldn't define random symbols that might be in use
by us, we should not be defining, or redefining, symbols that may be
provided by the operating system.

pgstat() might not be the best choice of name, though, because we've
got a file pgstat.c which does something unrelated.

> There are series of redefined macros from the MinGW W64 CRT.
>
> In pg_config_os:
>
> warning: "_WIN32_WINNT" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "fseeko" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "ftello" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "EMSGSIZE" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "EAFNOSUPPORT" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "EWOULDBLOCK" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "ECONNRESET" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "EINPROGRESS" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "ENOBUFS" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "EPROTONOSUPPORT" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "ECONNREFUSED" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "EOPNOTSUPP" redefined [enabled by default]
>
> In port.h:
>
> warning: "popen" redefined [enabled by default]
> warning: "pclose" redefined [enabled by default]
>
> And possibly some more.  Do we need these redefines?

We probably need them somewhere, or they wouldn't have been added.
But maybe we don't need them on the exact platform you're using.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Issues with MinGW W64

Дата:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
> <johann@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> The header file crtdefs.h in MinGW typedefs errcode which conflicts with
>> Postgres' elog.h.

> Eep.  Maybe this is not directly relevant, but I guess my first
> question is: why is MinGW doing that?

I concur with Robert here: your first step should be to push back on the
MinGW developers about this nonstandard intrusion on application
namespace.  We've been using errcode() as a function name since 2003,
and it's never been a problem before on any platform, including previous
versions of MinGW.

If they won't change it, then we could consider some other hack, but
that should really be the first attempt.

>> MinGW W64's sys/stat.h #defines stat to be _stati64 and there is
>> subsequently a compilation error in port.h:
>>
>> note: expected 'struct _stati64 *' but argument is of type 'struct stat *'
>> error: conflicting types for 'pgwin32_safestat'

> In this case, I really think we ought to change all backend calls that
> hit stat() to use something like pgstat() instead.

I disagree with this conclusion.  That'd be an unnecessarily nonstandard
notation, which all existing and future developers would have to learn.
I'd rather work around this in port.h if at all possible.  I'm not quite
sure why the existing code fails, though --- is there a conflict between
"#define stat" and "#define stat(a,b)"?

>> There are series of redefined macros from the MinGW W64 CRT.
>> And possibly some more.  Do we need these redefines?

> We probably need them somewhere, or they wouldn't have been added.
> But maybe we don't need them on the exact platform you're using.

Can we deal with this by just wrapping each #define in #ifndef?
        regards, tom lane

Re: Issues with MinGW W64

От
"Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson"
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
>> <johann@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> The header file crtdefs.h in MinGW typedefs errcode which conflicts
>>> with Postgres' elog.h.
>
>> Eep.  Maybe this is not directly relevant, but I guess my first
>> question is: why is MinGW doing that?
>
> I concur with Robert here: your first step should be to push back on
> the MinGW developers about this nonstandard intrusion on application
> namespace.  We've been using errcode() as a function name since 2003,
> and it's never been a problem before on any platform, including
> previous versions of MinGW.

I have contacted the MinGW W64 team on this.

> If they won't change it, then we could consider some other hack, but
> that should really be the first attempt.

>>> MinGW W64's sys/stat.h #defines stat to be _stati64 and there is
>>> subsequently a compilation error in port.h:
>>>
>>> note: expected 'struct _stati64 *' but argument is of type 'struct
>>> stat *' error: conflicting types for 'pgwin32_safestat'
>
>> In this case, I really think we ought to change all backend calls
>> that hit stat() to use something like pgstat() instead.
>
> I disagree with this conclusion.  That'd be an unnecessarily
> nonstandard notation, which all existing and future developers would
> have to learn.  I'd rather work around this in port.h if at all
> possible.  I'm not quite sure why the existing code fails, though ---
> is there a conflict between "#define stat" and "#define stat(a,b)"?

I wouldn't know, the compiler is GCC 4.6.3 here (any 4.5+ will do I
think) so all the usal GCC macro magic should be working.

Is this something to discuss with the MinGW W64 team?

>>> There are series of redefined macros from the MinGW W64 CRT.
>>> And possibly some more.  Do we need these redefines?
>
>> We probably need them somewhere, or they wouldn't have been added.
>> But maybe we don't need them on the exact platform you're using.
>
> Can we deal with this by just wrapping each #define in #ifndef?

I'll take a look and make sure the #defines end up with the same
values.  If so I'll attach a patch for this.

--   Johann Oskarsson                http://www.2ndquadrant.com/    |[]  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training
andServices  --+--                                                                 |  Blog:
http://my.opera.com/myrkraverk/blog/

Re: Issues with MinGW W64

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson

>>> In this case, I really think we ought to change all backend calls
>>> that hit stat() to use something like pgstat() instead.
>>
>> I disagree with this conclusion.  That'd be an unnecessarily
>> nonstandard notation, which all existing and future developers would
>> have to learn.  I'd rather work around this in port.h if at all
>> possible.  I'm not quite sure why the existing code fails, though ---
>> is there a conflict between "#define stat" and "#define stat(a,b)"?
>
> I wouldn't know, the compiler is GCC 4.6.3 here (any 4.5+ will do I
> think) so all the usal GCC macro magic should be working.
>
> Is this something to discuss with the MinGW W64 team?

My viewpoint on this (which is different than Tom's) is that we're
probably not entitled to assume anything about what the system header
files do with respect to stat.  On some systems, they might just have
a function prototype, while others might define stat or stat() as a
macro.   It seems to me that our source code is hoping for a function
definition rather than a macro definition and falling over when that's
not how it is.  I don't see that as very reasonable, unless we have
some basis for believing that the OS isn't entitled to define stat as
a macro rather than a function, and maybe not even then.  We have
plenty of other places where we use our own wrapper function in lieu
of OS facilities for various reasons (e.g. BasicOpenFile) and I don't
think adding one more is a big deal.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company