Обсуждение: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

От
Sushant Sinha
Дата:
I recently upgraded my postgres server from 9.0 to 9.1.2 and I am
finding a peculiar problem.I have a program that periodically adds rows
to this table using INSERT. Typically the number of rows is just 1-2
thousand when the table already has 500K rows. Whenever the program is
adding rows, the performance of the search query on the same table is
very bad. The query uses the gin index and the tsearch ranking function
ts_rank_cd.

This never happened earlier with postgres 9.0 Is there a known issue
with Postgres 9.1? Or how to report this problem?

-Sushant.

Re: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

От
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Дата:
On 19-12-2011 12:30, Sushant Sinha wrote:
> I recently upgraded my postgres server from 9.0 to 9.1.2 and I am
> finding a peculiar problem.I have a program that periodically adds rows
> to this table using INSERT. Typically the number of rows is just 1-2
> thousand when the table already has 500K rows. Whenever the program is
> adding rows, the performance of the search query on the same table is
> very bad. The query uses the gin index and the tsearch ranking function
> ts_rank_cd.

How bad is bad? It seems you are suffering from don't-fit-on-cache problem, no?

> This never happened earlier with postgres 9.0 Is there a known issue
> with Postgres 9.1? Or how to report this problem?

Test case? Query times? Query plans? Are you sure you the compile options are
the same? What about the configuration parameters? What is the exact version
of both installations?

--   Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira       http://www.timbira.com.br/  PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento

Re: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

От
Marti Raudsepp
Дата:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 17:30, Sushant Sinha <sushant354@gmail.com> wrote:
> This never happened earlier with postgres 9.0 Is there a known issue
> with Postgres 9.1? Or how to report this problem?

What *did* change in 9.1 is that there's new GIN cost estimation in
the planner. If you do EXPLAIN ANALYZE for your queries, do the plans
differ for 9.0 or 9.1? E.g. doing an index scan instead of a seq scan
or vice versa.

> The query uses the gin index and the tsearch ranking function
> ts_rank_cd.

Another thought -- have you read about the GIN "fast updates" feature?
This existed in 9.0 too. Instead of updating the index directly, GIN
appends all changes to a sequential list, which needs to be scanned in
whole for read queries. The periodic autovacuum process has to merge
these values back into the index.

Maybe the solution is to tune autovacuum to run more often on the table.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/gin-implementation.html

Regards,
Marti

Re: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

От
Sushant Sinha
Дата:
On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 19:08 +0200, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> Another thought -- have you read about the GIN "fast updates" feature?
> This existed in 9.0 too. Instead of updating the index directly, GIN
> appends all changes to a sequential list, which needs to be scanned in
> whole for read queries. The periodic autovacuum process has to merge
> these values back into the index.
>
> Maybe the solution is to tune autovacuum to run more often on the
> table.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/gin-implementation.html
>
> Regards,
> Marti

Probably this is the problem. Is running "vacuum analyze" under psql is
the same as "autovacuum"?

-Sushant.

Re: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

От
Sushant Sinha
Дата:
On Mon, 2011-12-19 at 12:41 -0300, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> On 19-12-2011 12:30, Sushant Sinha wrote:
> > I recently upgraded my postgres server from 9.0 to 9.1.2 and I am
> > finding a peculiar problem.I have a program that periodically adds
> rows
> > to this table using INSERT. Typically the number of rows is just 1-2
> > thousand when the table already has 500K rows. Whenever the program
> is
> > adding rows, the performance of the search query on the same table
> is
> > very bad. The query uses the gin index and the tsearch ranking
> function
> > ts_rank_cd.
> >
> How bad is bad? It seems you are suffering from don't-fit-on-cache
> problem, no?

The memory is 32GB and the entire database is just 22GB. Even "vmstat 1"
does not show any disk activity.

I was not able to isolate the performance numbers since I have observed
this only on the production box where the number of requests keep
increasing as the box gets loaded. But a query that takes 1sec normally
is taking more than 10secs (not sure whether it got the same number of
CPU cycles). Is there a way to find that?

-Sushant.

Re: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

От
Jesper Krogh
Дата:
On 2011-12-19 18:08, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
>> The query uses the gin index and the tsearch ranking function
>> ts_rank_cd.
> Another thought -- have you read about the GIN "fast updates" feature?
> This existed in 9.0 too. Instead of updating the index directly, GIN
> appends all changes to a sequential list, which needs to be scanned in
> whole for read queries. The periodic autovacuum process has to merge
> these values back into the index.
>
> Maybe the solution is to tune autovacuum to run more often on the table.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/gin-implementation.html

I have to say that I consistently have to turn "fastupdate" off for
our heavily updated gin-indexes. The overall performance gain
may be measurable, but its not intolerable without. The spikes seen
from the applications, when cleanup happens. Either in the foreground
or in the background are not tolerable. (multiple seconds).

I may just not have experienced suffienctly with the various sizes of
work_mem,
but I would indeed love to have a "connection only fastupdate", so
within a single
transaction it could use the fastupdate technique, but not stuffing
index-updates
onto unreleated queries by random.

Jesper
--
Jesper

Re: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

Дата:
Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 17:30, Sushant Sinha <sushant354@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This never happened earlier with postgres 9.0 Is there a known issue
>> with Postgres 9.1? Or how to report this problem?

> What *did* change in 9.1 is that there's new GIN cost estimation in
> the planner. If you do EXPLAIN ANALYZE for your queries, do the plans
> differ for 9.0 or 9.1?

I trolled the commit log a bit, and AFAICS the only significant GIN
changes between 9.1 and reasonably late-model 9.0 are the cost
estimation patch and this one:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=73912e7fbd1b52c51d914214abbec1cda64595f2

which makes me wonder if maybe the OP has a very large fraction of empty
or null entries in his data.  Previously those would have resulted in no
insertion traffic on a GIN index, but now they do.

> Another thought -- have you read about the GIN "fast updates" feature?
> This existed in 9.0 too.

Yeah, so it seems unlikely to be that, or at least not that by itself.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres 9.1: Adding rows to table causing too much latency in other queries

Дата:
Jesper Krogh <jesper@krogh.cc> writes:
> I have to say that I consistently have to turn "fastupdate" off for
> our heavily updated gin-indexes. The overall performance gain
> may be measurable, but its not intolerable without. The spikes seen
> from the applications, when cleanup happens. Either in the foreground
> or in the background are not tolerable. (multiple seconds).

Well, that's why there's a provision to turn it off: if response time
spikes are a bigger deal to you than overall performance, you probably
don't want bulk updates.

The theory is that you should be able to tune things so that the bulk
updates are done by autovacuum, but if you can't get that to work
sufficiently reliably, fastupdate=off is the best answer.
        regards, tom lane