Обсуждение: Sponsored development

Sponsored development

От
Dermot
Дата:
Hi,

First off, I hope this approach is not breaking protocol.

I have seen this feature on the todo list:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Referential_Integrity

It's my understanding that this will allow FK constraints on array
elements, if I'm wrong, please stop me now....

If I've assumed correctly, the company I work for would like to offer
an incentive to progress the work. As we're a tax registered company,
we'd need a invoice or receipt. I do not know if there is an existing
mechanism for such as arrangement. We thought payment should be
released once the feature was available in a stable release. The
amount we'd like to offer is £500 (pounds sterling).

Again, I hope this email does not offend the etiquette of the list and
I'd like to keep the discussion on-list initially if possible.

Thank you,
Dermot.

Re: Sponsored development

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 13.09.2011 00:33, Dermot wrote:
> I have seen this feature on the todo list:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Referential_Integrity
>
> It's my understanding that this will allow FK constraints on array
> elements, if I'm wrong, please stop me now....

You're right.

I don't want to discourage further development in the area, of course,
but I think you can already accomplish that with exclusion constraints.
And starting with 9.1, regular triggers can be used too, if you use
serializable snapshot isolation.

Re: Sponsored development

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Dermot <paikkos@googlemail.com> wrote:

> First off, I hope this approach is not breaking protocol.
>
> I have seen this feature on the todo list:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Referential_Integrity
>
> It's my understanding that this will allow FK constraints on array
> elements, if I'm wrong, please stop me now....
>
> If I've assumed correctly, the company I work for would like to offer
> an incentive to progress the work. As we're a tax registered company,
> we'd need a invoice or receipt. I do not know if there is an existing
> mechanism for such as arrangement. We thought payment should be
> released once the feature was available in a stable release. The
> amount we'd like to offer is £500 (pounds sterling).
>
> Again, I hope this email does not offend the etiquette of the list and
> I'd like to keep the discussion on-list initially if possible.

Inward investment into PostgreSQL is important, so I'd like to set an
example here by accepting your offer to implement FKs on arrays.

It's also important since it indicates what users really want.

The sum offered is low, but the proactivity and graciousness of your
offer deserves to be rewarded.

Thanks. We'll get that into 9.2 for you.

Re: Sponsored development

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 08:24:15AM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 13.09.2011 00:33, Dermot wrote:
> >I have seen this feature on the todo list:
> >http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Referential_Integrity
> >
> >It's my understanding that this will allow FK constraints on array
> >elements, if I'm wrong, please stop me now....
>
> You're right.
>
> I don't want to discourage further development in the area, of
> course, but I think you can already accomplish that with exclusion
> constraints. And starting with 9.1, regular triggers can be used
> too, if you use serializable snapshot isolation.

Unless there's something really clever whereby you would use the same
syntax in the DDL that you would for non-array FKs, there's still work
to be done, possibly via a wrapper around the things you mentioned.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!